Okay, so I was looking at some speakers on musicians friend(pretty much out of curiosity, i'm probably not going to get one), and i noticed they all had a different amount of watts.
My question is, do the watts of the speaker have to match up with the watts or your amp in order to put it in?
or would putting in say a 100 watt speaker into a 15 watt amp make the 15 watt amp a 100 watt?
im really confused, so any help is much appreciateed
im pretty sure 100 watts refers to how much the speaker can handle. so putting a 100 watt speaker into a 15 watt amp would still be 15 watts.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
The wattage of the speaker will not change the wattage of your amp. You get a speaker that can handle a percentage more watts than your amp puts out so you don't blow the speaker. Some get a 25 watt speaker for a 30 watt amp, so the speaker naturally distorts/clips when cranked. Some people like that, others just want amp distortion/overdrive.

Wooo hooo, 2,500th post!

Edit: And I was beaten to the punch for the 2,500th time...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by mikeyElite
im pretty sure 100 watts refers to how much the speaker can handle. so putting a 100 watt speaker into a 15 watt amp would still be 15 watts.

so nothing would explode or anything?
cause i've got a fender blues junior, and im trying to metal it up as much as i can, and i was just wondering.
Quote by gregs1020
The wattage of the speaker will not change the wattage of your amp. You get a speaker that can handle a percentage more watts than your amp puts out so you don't blow the speaker. Some get a 25 watt speaker for a 30 watt amp, so the speaker naturally distorts/clips when cranked. Some people like that, others just want amp distortion/overdrive.

Wooo hooo, 2,500th post!

Edit: And I was beaten to the punch for the 2,500th time...

haha im sigging that
^ A speaker change will not turn the blues Jr into a metal amp, your better off getting a new amp, or some type of pedal to take the amp in more in that direction
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
^ A speaker change will not turn the blues Jr into a metal amp, your better off getting a new amp, or some type of pedal to take the amp in more in that direction

yes, i know.
i was just asking out of curiousity
thanks though
Make sure you get the right impedence speaker. For example: 4ohm, 8,ohm, 16ohm. That you MUST match to the output transformer, or you will blow something up.