I posted a thread about a week or so back about pickups for both of my main guitars, but didn't get too many hits/answers since the thread was REALLY long and quite detailed. I'm pretty sure I've solved the issue with my Hellraiser, so I'm just trying to get the Spitfire squared away.

Use: I have it set up with Ernie Ball 12 - 56s in Drop B primarily, but go down as low as Drop A#.

Ideal sound: Clear and crisp on the cleans (if anyone knows ISIS, I really dig their clean sound for low tuned guitars), with a chimey-ness in the bridge position, and some warmth in the neck (not muddy warmth as in loads of bass). For distorted sounds, I want the bridge to be tight enough on the low end so that palm-muting still retains it's heaviness and clarity, but not so tight that I can't pull of sludgy doomy riffs if I back off the presence on my Mesa. For leads, the bridge I want to be clear and crips (but not harsh), and the neck pickup to be warm yet articulate.

Inspiration: Thrice, Underoath, Glassjaw, ISIS, Radiohead, Norma Jean, At the Drive-In, Tool, Converge, Pink Floyd, Deftones (granted, not all the bands tune down to Drop B, but that gives you an idea of my musical tastes).

Extra Specs:

- I'd prefer passives, since I'll be switching out the bride pickup first, then a little while later, the neck due to budget
- I'd also like the pickups to react well to effects since I love delay and various modulation effects.
- Budget: No more than 200 dollars total for both pickups
- Preferably I'd like the pickups to be able to work with either coil tapping or a 5 way blade selector.

Thanks for reading!

- RG_FANMAN
I'm getting X2N and Tone Zone installed in my Omen 6 tonight, i'll let you know how that set up sounds
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
D-sonic in the bridge definitely.

Mabye either a PAF Pro, Air Norton, Tone Zone, or Air Classic in the neck, all great pickups
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Teh GIR
D-sonic in the bridge definitely.

Mabye either a PAF Pro, Air Norton, Tone Zone, or Air Classic in the neck, all great pickups

+1 on the D-Sonic in the bridge but I'd say Breed in the neck....does warm and articulate very well.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
+1 Drop Sonic and Breed combo
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Also with the D-Sonic you can change the overall tone of the pickup depending on which way the rail is facing.

If it faces the bridge, it will be really articulate and clear

Facing the neck it will be really fat and warm
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
...and it works really well split.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

The D-Sonic sounds really good to me, especially since I realized that it's not just a lead-oriented pickup. Brad Delson of Linkin Park uses them in his humbucker equipped guitars like his PRS, and they do a few songs down to Drop B. Now, i'm not the biggest fan of Linkin Park, but I've gotta admit that his tone when in Drop B is really clear and precise. So I'm basically sold on that.

The neck is my only remaining concern. I had been looking at the Air Norton, since I recommended it to a friend who's using it for cleans, and it loves it both in humbucker mode and split. and I know it can handle lead lines since Petrucci uses it in his neck position and does a lot of leads with the neck pickup. Granted, they play in standard, so I don't know how muddy, if at all, it will be in Drop B. Opinions? Same goes for the Breed; I love how both positions sound, but I've only heard them in standard, and have no idea how lower tunings affect the sound, since the stock pickups in this guitar (Duncan Designed) sounded pretty decent on standard, but in Drop B they're quite muddy and inarticulate [if that's actually a word].
Well the Air Norton isnt that muddy on low notes, but i would imagine the Breed is more muddy as its a much warmer pickup.

You could try a Tone Zone in the neck, which ive heard is a good neck pickup with a high output pickup and it would be really mid pronounced
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Doesn't the Tone Zone have a lot of low end in addition to midrange? I know some people complain about them being muddy with a lot of gain and bass, so I don't know if that's true.
any more input for the neck position? It seems right now it's Air Norton Versus Tone Zone...
The best way to describe the Air Norton is that its like glass, as in, it does retain your picking attack, etc but its always very clear and smooth
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
I wouldn't dream of sticking a Tone Zone in the neck - too loud, too noisy and too full-on, subtle isn't in it's vocabulary. It'd probably work with an X2N in the bridge but not with a refined, clinical pickup like the D-Sonic.

I'm not a massive Air Norton fan, it's a bit shreddy and fusiony to my ears, the Breed is great though...fat, warm and gutsy but definitely not muddy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I kind of like my neck pickups on the smooth and clear side; almost single coily, but with some of the fatness and warmth a humbucker offers.
You could try the Humbucker From Hell.

Petrucci used it on Images and Words (With a tonezone in the bridge)

I guess its supposed to have single coil like qualities but also have humbucking fatness
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
I'll look into the HFH some more since it has interested me int he past. But i'm still leaning towards the Norton a bit more. Thanks for the input guys.
bare knuckles warpig for bridge..?
Rickenbacker 620
ltd mh-1000
Fender jaguar

tu-2>>FZ-2>MXR Flanger>Ph-8>Line 6 FM-4>DD-6

Engl savage Head.
black start artisan 4x12