Hello, I like to play near the bridge. I like how the strings are much firmer but, I don't like the clanky sound I get from playing close to the bridge. Is there a possible way to get rid of this clanky sound? Sorry if this question is a bit noobish. Any help is appreciated.
Never Missing in Action
get a heavier string gauge and then play in the normal place. the clank comes from the restricted vibrational pattern between where you play and the bridge, so it sounds ultra metallic and crappy.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
My action is high enough so that it doesn't hit the fretboard. It's not hitting the pickups either. Every time I hit the string i just get this soft annoying clank. I'm trying to think of how to describe it... It's almost like when I hit a string the firmness of the string causes the sound itself. I do play with my treble slightly higher but I'm not sure if thats the problem either.
Never Missing in Action
Is it possible your fingernails are clipping the string after you play?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by muse-ik
get a heavier string gauge and then play in the normal place. the clank comes from the restricted vibrational pattern between where you play and the bridge, so it sounds ultra metallic and crappy.

Didn't think of that, I'll have to try that.

I am playing with flatwound strings though, if that may cause anything.
Never Missing in Action
Quote by gm jack
Is it possible your fingernails are clipping the string after you play?

My fingernails are short, I just cut em yesterday.
Never Missing in Action
it's pretty obvious, and i had this problem playing acoustic today for the first time in months. you simply aren't pressing down hard enough or close enough to the fret (the metal bar, not the space in between)

basically, if your finger is on the first fret, move it as close to the metal bar as possible and press down very firmly. this will give you the best sound
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Quote by Jammin'
it's pretty obvious, and i had this problem playing acoustic today for the first time in months. you simply aren't pressing down hard enough or close enough to the fret (the metal bar, not the space in between)

basically, if your finger is on the first fret, move it as close to the metal bar as possible and press down very firmly. this will give you the best sound

It makes the sound even if I hit the string open. Thanks for the input though.
Never Missing in Action
Then what you are hearing is their the string hitting the frets, or simply a bright metallic tone for the strings near the bridge. As you use flats, I doubt the second though. See if you still get it when playing really softly.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by DEEVIOUS1
Claaaaanky Clank Clankeroo

please continue I'd like to report you a third time
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by anarkee
Banned.

Did you perma him? I'm positive he's a repeat offender.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
i know what the TS means. its the sound of his fingers attacking the strings. a kind of dull 'thud' usually, but as you play closer to the bridge it gets more noticable.

Now to get rid of it? im not sure

maybe try turning your bridge pickup down? or possibly rolling off some of the tone?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Maybe it's the sound of your fingers hitting the pickups aftert he initial attack of the strings? I get that too, and it annoys me. So I turn my amp up louder.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I pretty much guarantee that some significant tone rolleage will solve your problem.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Oh, that's just the sound you get from the bridge. I don't think you can rid of it, maybe some palm muting?
Quote by thefitz
I pretty much guarantee that some significant tone rolleage will solve your problem.

the fitz endorses tone rolling? I not only endorse but encourage it
Quote by cakeandpiemofo

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by Karvid
i wouldn't really call it a clank so much as a...twang maybe?
maybe turn up your volume and pluck softly?
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Turning up the volume did help, thanks for the advice. I'll still try the heavier gauge strings though.
Never Missing in Action
Hmm i know i get a sort of clanky souned when i play my guitar and sometime's my bass.. like everynote is overshadowed by this click or clunk sound when i use a pick. like the sound of the pick hitting the string is being amplified through a mic (not the string vibration being amplified bu the actaul sound of the pick hitting the string etc).

maybe you could turn up your amp a little or try diffrent methods of holding the pic or using your fingers?
I think this thread basically went in the wrong direction, some people understood what the TS meant. The sound he is talking about is not a clanky (which would be the strings hitting the frets) but what I call a ratchety sound (lamb of god style). I think someone touched on this, but the fact is that there is very little you can do since you are playing in the absolute most restricted part of of the string. You will never get the natural tone you gain from playing near the neck.

Get used to the metal sound if you play there a lot, I personally love the tone.
Quote by NeverMIA
Hello, I like to play near the bridge. I like how the strings are much firmer but, I don't like the clanky sound I get from playing close to the bridge. Is there a possible way to get rid of this clanky sound? Sorry if this question is a bit noobish. Any help is appreciated.

you may have a problem with your setup your action may be too low or try reducing your trebble settings
I play almost exclusively by the bridge now. After owning a Stingray, i got into the habit. Now i dont own a Stingray i cant shake the habit. I love the tone down by the bridge, its bright and punchy. You can roll off some high and mid, and up the low a bit. Depending on your bass, you can change the ratio of bridge/neck pickup. I love the sound i get when i solo the neck pickup and play by the bridge.
Well lookie who's back!

I love the pick tone I get near the bridge with my neck pickup favored from my Warwick - almost like a Ric. On my Jazz, not so much. I find on either bass playing with fingers near the bridge doesn't give me the 'oomph' compared to playing near the neck, or having both pickups on/favouring the bridge when playing at the bridge.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I have always found it much easier playing by the bridge especially on Jazz Basses. The attack is a lot more present and you get this almost melodic-growl sound out of the Jazz Bass atleast in my experience. I don't know if this post holds any rellevance but thats my $.02
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Quote by NeverMIA

I know this thread is a couple days old, but I know exactly what he's talking about. It's just a sound you get when you play too close to the bridge. You can compromise by moving a couple inches toward the fretboard to keep your tone, and most of the firm feel. If it's too much of a compromise in feel, try some heavier strings. This should fix your problem.
only advice i have..play higher :\ or turn ur tone down..but even then u still get that sound..i used to have the same problem. i fixed it thought. i learned to rest my wrist on the body about 4-5 inches above the bridge...sounds much better now.
Quote by CJE
I punched my friend out of a desk and yelled "FATALITY."
Best. Study hall. Evar.
Or like the time I yelled out "WHY DOES IT BURN WHEN I PEEEEEEEE????"
Best. Library time. Evar.

Quote by slaveofsatan
I yelled "I leik t3h mudkipz" in my grade 9 orientation.