I had an acoustic for bout a year, but i want an electric.
My friend as gibson les paul standard and it looks rlly cool. So i look up the different lp models.
Is the robot just a standard with self-tuning abilities?
Are supremes worth it, cuz i heard that they're not that good.
Are hds only for people who want to plug their guitar into a comp?
Wich model should i get? How much should i spend on an amp (i just want something that sounds decent nothing too much. )? Are there any accessories that i need? How much is a decent pedal and what kinds should i get (or should i get a mutieffect pedal or both)?

I'd like to play some rock/metal/blues <--(does this help?)
That seems like quite a significant an upgrade. Are you sure you've thought this through?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
How much money do you actually have to spend?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by heroguy142
My friend as gibson les paul standard and it looks rlly cool. So i look up the different lp models.
Wich model should i get? How much should i spend on an amp (i just want something that sounds decent nothing too much. )? Are there any accessories that i need? How much is a decent pedal and what kinds should i get (or should i get a mutieffect pedal or both)?

dont sacrafice your wallet and quality just for a name (gibson)... go out and get yourseld a nice brian may or a dean for the same price as an epiphone LP.

once your a bigboy move on to the custom prs like me
Uh.. If it's your first electric I would go for something less costly, like the Epiphone LP Special II.
It's shaped like it, not as expensive.
Amp. I recently witnessed my friend buy the King Kerry Marshall. It's 100 dollars. It has built in o/d and it's pretty good on sound.
i would try to avoid going for broke right away. start with an advanced-beginners guitar, or a lower mid-range. you've only been playing for a year, so you have not had much time to develop your style as a guitarist. you should not spend over $500 on your first electric (considering the one year figure), and the amp should be no more than $400-$500 for a decent starter amp.

also, do not dapple in the extras that are pedals/effects, as you will learn to color your sounds later, and should not be bothered with it initially.
You're thinking.. of... the Robot?
For your first electric guitar go for something that normal beginners would go for.. :P

cause you are in fact wasting your money, spending that much money on a Gibson Robot when you can't really play it. (No offence if you can play quite well ^^)
Just go for something like, a Squire hello kitty guitar?
You don't understand HOW MANY friends you will make with a Hello Kitty Guitar.. :P
get a Yamaha pacifica and a roland micro cube to start off. The micro cube has enough effects built in to keep you going.
Guitar & Bass
for first electric a gibson is way over doing it i see you budget is quite high if you were thinking of getting a robot so id say for first eletric get a fender hss strat versitaile and lets you experment with the sound you want and will cover the genres you mentioned. I dont think you are planning on gigging so id recomend you dont bother with heads and cabs and get the roland cube series or maybe a nice small tube amp just for bedroom practice, but be sure you will stick with it if you get the fender if it is iffy get a squire and save money. As for acessories the basics cable picks tuner ya but you should know that. For pedals if you play metal you are gonna want some distortion and overdrive, ive never used one but i hear the ibanez tube screamers are great and thats all you need maybe a wah or chorus to screw around with but not too important
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Oct 9, 2008,
Quote by passthatsh!t
smoke a fatty and play air guitar to master of puppets
first of all, thanks a ton for the Pit thread you made linking to this one.
Seeing your sorry ass banned is quite a pleasure for most of us.
Especially tasty, since your big mouth finished you off.

Quote by Chasing Shadows
Just go for something like, a Squire hello kitty guitar?
You don't understand HOW MANY friends you will make with a Hello Kitty Guitar.. :P
as much as i looooooove teh kitteh, i don't think it would be the best choice for someone with just one guitar. a single pickup at the bridge does have limitations when it come to tone. two pickups would be a better choice, imho. get miss kitty as a second guitar, just for shits and giggles.

Quote by heroguy142

Unless you have a FAT wallet, Gib$on won't be your best choice. They do hold value well in the long term. But the price-tag is high. The Agile, linked to in an earlier post is a well built copy of a LP. And they have some models that start at around $200. Good value/$

imho, you want a decent, good playing guitar. but that doesn't have to cost all that much. you'll probably spend much more for your amp than your guitar.
rock/metal/blues is a wide spectrum in tone. having just one amp that will do well is possible, but you'll need to shop around. Usually a high-gain tube amp or a solid-state is a good platform for metal. Something less edgy for blues.

Read some of the threads in GG&A to learn more about amp choices.

good luck.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by passthatsh!t
smoke a fatty and play air guitar to master of puppets

gosh i cant believe my buddy said that on the forum man thats totally not cool
I agree with these posts. You shouldn't get something like the Gibson Robot as your first guitar. Its very expensive, and you may not stick with guitar long enough to truely get your money's worth.

That said, you shouldn't get a cheap guitar. You don't want to play and play and play, only one day to think "Man, I should have bought a slightly better guitar, this one kinda sucks". So my advice is something like an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, or one of the similar copies. Less than that and you won't get a terribly good guitar. But the Standard is still a nice guitar. Edwards, Tokai, Agile and some other brands make good Les Paul copies as well.

For amps, the same rule applies. Don't spend excessively, but don't be cheap. You want something that is going to last you if you decide to stick with guitar (which seems quite likely considering you've been playing acoustic for a year). My suggestion for amps is something small, because I'm guessing you won't be playing gigs in the near future. There are nice tube amps for more than decent prices. Tube amps will deliver a much nicer tone. For example, I've had my eyes on the Crate V series. Depending on where you live, you can get one of those quite cheaply. Or something like the Epiphone Valve Junior or the Blackhearts. Personally, the Crate is probably the nicest out of all these 3, but that's my opinion. The V18 is a very nice amp to me.

The reason behind these amps really is the price. A higher gain tube amp will cost you a fair bit more. And Solid State amps and modelling amps (in the lower price range bracket), while nice, won't sound as nice as a good tube amp.

Now alone, those amps will handle your blues and rock without any hassle. Take the V18. It has a decent amount of gain that will get you up to AC/DC type hard rock, and importantly, you can have the gain while having the master volume down (something you can't do on the Blackheart and VJ). So you won't have to annoy people to play your rock. However, you also want to play some metal (and if it isn't terribly important, you can hold off on this purchase as it isn't really vital). To push your amp into metal territory, you'll want a nice Overdrive pedal (there's an ultimate OD pedal thread somewhere by the way). It will add even more gain so that you can delve into metal as well. I can't speak about those, I don't have enough experience on pedals.

Anyway, hope I can help. Happy guitaring.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by heroguy142

If you're a noob, starting off with a Gibby is not so much of a good idea. You won't really appreciate it the same way that a seasoned player will. You'll most likely take it for granted and trade it for some flashy looking guitar because it looks cool.

You should really stay away from all the Gibson USA standard models after 2002. If you really want a Gibson, you might want to opt for a custom shop Les Paul or at the very least a 1997-98 model.

The 97 and 98 models are like the 59s of our time. Just not as good.

If you really want a Les Paul, try finding some cheaper alternatives first. Buying expensive when you don't know if you'll be playing very long is pointless and a waste of money.

Check out Epiphone,Tokai Guitars, Burny, Greco or Edwards ESP.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well, if you insist on getting a "big brand" name but your a noob, if you wouldn't mind I'd suggest a PRS SE Singlecut, LP Shape, big brand name, but its a bit costly for a first timer.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

if you really have the money and it wont put you into financial crisis, why not get an expensive one? i mean, its your money, and if and when you do develop abilities and skills, you will already have that high end guitar instead of looking for one and stuck with a mid range guitar.
Well theres always that chance that he might not like electric guitar, thats why people dont spend big bucks on a first guitar
Quote by Le_Bunny

thats true. all im saying is that if he has a real drive to want to learn and really is going to put the time in it, theres really no problem with him buying something other than an epiphone special ll just because he doesnt have that much experiance with electric. but, if your going to get an amp too and you have money, i would deffinatly suggest getting a good amp before getting a great guitar. dont get a great guitar with a shitty amp, because then your not getting all of that money back you spent on that guitar in tone.
Yep, I'd get a P-Classic 30, Metal Muff, and EC-1000
Quote by Le_Bunny