Lets say I wanted to play melodic death metal... Like In Flames' older stuff, off of Whoracle and the Jester Race.

What kind of amp and effects might you guys recommend?

Right now I have a Gbson SG, a Vox AD30VT, an MXR ZW Distorion, and a Boss Over Drive. Also a crybaby, which is inconsequential when it comes to most melodic metal.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
A peavey 5150/6505 will go most of the way, they use the same amps (and I managed it with my 6505+ very well)
They're very light on effects so just the amp and a guitar with powerful pickups like EMGs or Duncan Blackouts and a nice thick tone will serve you well
ohai little sig.
Although I'm going to guess their 5150's are probably modded?

Oh and save up and buy the head with a 2x12 cab!
I think it works better in the long run and its way easier to transport.
Plus the head version sounds a little better.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
like said 5150/6505
it's what they use
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Just about all Melo-death bands will have used a 5150/6505 at some point.

I know the Mike Schleibaum from Darkest Hour uses a Randall RM100 though - so that might be worth checking too if you can.
Don't In Flames use PODs quite a lot when recording, or playing live. Can't remember which. I didn't see 5150 heads when I saw them.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
basically load your guitar up with EMG 81/85s, sell your amp and distortion effects, and buy a Peavey 5150/6505 (I believe they use the standard ones, not the IIs/+). They use a Line 6 POD for cleans, and use some reverb and delay on those.

Honestly, if you're on a tight budget and don't feel like getting two different amps, get a Peavey 6505+, a Marshall 1960 cab (used they're around 3 or 4 hundred), a Maxon OD808, and an EHX Holy Grail or a Delay of some sort.
Quote by K!!LsWiTcH
IMO lose the vox and the boss overdrive get a metal zone

The Vox isn't a high gain amp.
If you still need an amp like it, check out the Roland Cubes. And the MXR is an overdrive, not a distortion. But, if you have like 500-600 bucks lying around, a used 5150 is perfect.
you could buy my 5150!
it'll do what you want perfectly.
But you should look local first, it'll be less expensive.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab