Hey, I am looking to get new strings for my bass, but I have no idea what gauge strings are on there now. Before I got this bass I borrowed my girlfriend's bass (she doesn't really play it...) and I changed the strings, and one was too small and rattled at the nut. So how can I tell what gauge strings to get?

Thanks,
Steve
Quote by pepsi_lovr
Hey, I am looking to get new strings for my bass, but I have no idea what gauge strings are on there now. Before I got this bass I borrowed my girlfriend's bass (she doesn't really play it...) and I changed the strings, and one was too small and rattled at the nut. So how can I tell what gauge strings to get?

Thanks,
Steve

what id do is, take it too a shop and go where they have individual strings and see which ones fit

.. thats crazy though that its too small, did you buy the smallest gauge you could find or soemthing
Standard is .45 .65 .85 .105. Most basses come with this gauge stock. Regardless, you're probably going to have to do some setting up once you restring it.

And because you're ultimately going to have to set it up anyway, you may as well just get what's comfortable and set the bass up accordingly.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
my concern is the buzzing in the nut, if I get too small this might happen again. Then I have to either get a new nut or new strings. I was hoping to eliminate this risk.
You can't go wrong with the gauge I just mentioned.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
buzzing at the nut is caused by the strings having enough tension to press on them hard enough. if you want to use light strings and have no buzz you will have to buy a string retainer bar and screw it on your headstock.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
This is the tool required to accurately Gauge your strings it's called a 'Micrometre' but you need it to be in imperial and not metric.
I've shown this pic before; it's my late Fathers and around 70+years old but still accurate.
Attachments:
Micrometre2.jpg
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn