I'm recording on Saturday with my band. This will be my first time ever multi-tracking a solo so I had a few questions.

1. Should I use a compressor? What exactly does this do? If I'm playing arpeggios and I don't hit all the notes the same hardness would this help even out the sound?

2. I will be recording on a Framus Cobra; are there any tips about using this amp? I will not be able to test it out thoroughly before recording on it so any information would be nice. I am looking for a tone similar to the Human Abstract's lead tones. Sort of a smoothe mid gain solo sound.

Any other tips for recording are appreciated! :]
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
A compressor reduces the dynamic range of a signal so that the waveform is more uniform. It is used to generally to balance the volume of softer sounds with louder ones ie the volume consistency of the song stays the same throughout.

IMHO if you don't know how a compressor works it will be a waste of time using one - as you will either - overcompress the signal and make it sound bad or barely be able to tell the difference at all - compression is very subtle when used correctly, the downside to you not knowing how to use a compressor is that you might find your music is not as loud as other songs you listen to at home/on your mp3 player etc, because you will have to cut the volume to avoid clipping at peak points, a compressor would limit these peaks.
Quote by Beefmo
A compressor reduces the dynamic range of a signal so that the waveform is more uniform. It is used to generally to balance the volume of softer sounds with louder ones ie the volume consistency of the song stays the same throughout.

IMHO if you don't know how a compressor works it will be a waste of time using one - as you will either - overcompress the signal and make it sound bad or barely be able to tell the difference at all - compression is very subtle when used correctly, the downside to you not knowing how to use a compressor is that you might find your music is not as loud as other songs you listen to at home/on your mp3 player etc, because you will have to cut the volume to avoid clipping at peak points, a compressor would limit these peaks.

I'm not talking about overall song compression just compressing the signal on my guitar during solo tracking via a foot pedal compressor.

The sound engineer will fix compression issues of the track when he does the mastering so I don't need to know anything about that.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Ah, my bad didn't read properly and I didn't know if you'd be doing it yourself or with an engineer.

There will almost definitely be a proper hardware compressor on the input path to the mixing desk anyway and if theres a problem with the solo sounding off then the engineer will probably get you to repeat it (or a section of it) until you get a good take, so I doubt its something you should be worrying about.