hey guys so i've played guitar for a year and got an ibanez rg350dx the other day.

So here's basically the 3 sounds i want (im guno replace all 3 pickups...)

a single coil bluesy/jazzy pickup in the midle

a hard rcok/light metalish pick up in the neck or bridge (seymour duncan jb's i heard would be good for this, but what type of jb's should i get for an ibanez?)

a steve-vai sounding pick up in the neck or bridge...i was thinking of getting some di marzio evolutions but im not sure if they are good for ibanez rg350dx, and im not sure if they are good intermediate guitarist pickups? (i heard they are pretty unforgiving)

thanks so much!!
1 - what amp do you have?
2 - if amp is good a pair of Breeds with a Blue Velvet in the middle
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
my dad has a really good amp, and i have a line 6 micro spider that i take to my friends house when we jam and stuff.

so seymour duncan jb's would be good for the bridge? what type of seymour duncan jb's would be best for my guitar?

what bluesy/jazzy one for the middle (it has to be single coil i think)

and then i really want a steve vai kinda tone for the neck pickup...
No, the JB wouldn't be good for anything.

Just don't expect the pickups to make ANY difference on your little Spider, unlesss you're made of money there's far better thngs to spend it on. Personaly I don't think you should bother, you're not ready for a pickup change and I doubt they do as much as you think they will.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
No, the JB wouldn't be good for anything.

Just don't expect the pickups to make ANY difference on your little Spider, unlesss you're made of money there's far better thngs to spend it on. Personaly I don't think you should bother, you're not ready for a pickup change and I doubt they do as much as you think they will.

so what would you recommend then, i don't usually use the micro spider-just when i go to my friends house to jam. i usually play with my dad and use a really good amp..
Quote by -themask-
my dad has a really good amp, and i have a line 6 micro spider that i take to my friends house when we jam and stuff.

so seymour duncan jb's would be good for the bridge? what type of seymour duncan jb's would be best for my guitar?

what bluesy/jazzy one for the middle (it has to be single coil i think)

and then i really want a steve vai kinda tone for the neck pickup...

Uhhh....the seymour duncanc JB kinda?...once again...I'm pretty sure there's only 1 model of the JB.

try and get a texas special pickup for your middle pup
i used a tb4 in my 350dx, wasnt as gritty as the original inf, but was good on a tube amp
the tb4 is the floyd version of JB...
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Quote by -themask-
so what would you recommend then, i don't usually use the micro spider-just when i go to my friends house to jam. i usually play with my dad and use a really good amp..

I'd still recommend a pair of Dimarzio Breeds with a Blue Velvet in the middle - but honestly, it's not worth it. Pickups don't "make" your sound, they only contribute to it...the right pickup, in the right guitar, with the right amp, set correctly, with the right effects if needed, is usually the final piece in the puzzle as it were. If everything else is wrong then a pickup won't get you any closer to the sound you want. In the overall scheme of things they have only a subtle influence over the final sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

you should be able to get every sound you want out of the line 6

what kind of amp does your dad have
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Quote by fairycake92
i used a tb4 in my 350dx, wasnt as gritty as the original inf, but was good on a tube amp
the tb4 is the floyd version of JB...

thanks,

my dad has a line 6 Spider II or something, it's really good though.

steven, so the dimarzio breeds are good for a steve vai-ish kinda sound?
and the middle one you suggest good for blues/jazz?
Quote by Head BANGER 81
you should be able to get every sound you want out of the line 6

what kind of amp does your dad have

i cant get any tone out of it lol..unless u want gain...gain....

edit: just saw post above..get rid of all your line 6 buy a small tube amp, then buy pickups..i learnt that the hard way
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Quote by fairycake92

edit: just saw post above..get rid of all your line 6 buy a small tube amp, then buy pickups..i learnt that the hard way

k well can i still have some pick up advice, i'll talk to my dad about the amps later...

so seymour duncan jb tb4 for the bridge pickup

what for a good steve vai sound in the neck? and a single coil bluesy/jazzy pickup..
Quote by -themask-
thanks,

my dad has a line 6 Spider II or something, it's really good though.

steven, so the dimarzio breeds are good for a steve vai-ish kinda sound?
and the middle one you suggest good for blues/jazz?

They're a good set of pickups to give you the tones you've asked for - it's not just a simple case of "this pickup for this sound, that one for that sound", it doesn't work like that. You pick a set that's going to make the guitar as a whole capable of producing the sounds you want.

It's still a waste of money though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
They're a good set of pickups to give you the tones you've asked for - it's not just a simple case of "this pickup for this sound, that one for that sound", it doesn't work like that. You pick a set that's going to make the guitar as a whole capable of producing the sounds you want.

thanks dude, and why's it a waste? the stock pickups are pretty bad, and i'm not guno be the only one using this guitar-but i just want some advice and stuff you know?
Quote by fairycake92

thats weird cuz i can get anything i want out of my line 6. i just need a bigger one maybe one of the new tube ones
Quote by steven seagull

steven, what would you recommend for the bridge pickup?

like the hard rocky/metallish one
For hard rock/metal, Breed probably, I have a DActivator in the bridge of my Ibanez, and as awesome as it sounds for distortion, the cleans leave much to be desired.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
For hard rock/metal, Breed probably, I have a DActivator in the bridge of my Ibanez, and as awesome as it sounds for distortion, the cleans leave much to be desired.

i thought the breeds were good for the vai sound (i know there's tones more factors, but more or less...) and i was guno put them in the neck? then like jb's in the bridge, and some single coil bluesy one for the middle..
There are different versions of them, ie, neck and bridge versions with different responses. th breeds are designed to compliment each other very well, and they do. The bridge version has a bit more bite to it iirc.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
There are different versions of them, ie, neck and bridge versions with different responses. th breeds are designed to compliment each other very well, and they do. The bridge version has a bit more bite to it iirc.

ahh ok sorry man im new

i thoguht pickups worked like this

say 1st switch is all the neck pickup,
2nd switch is neck pickup and middle pickup,
3rd switch is all middle pickup,
4th switch is middle and bridge pickup,
5th switch is all bridge pickup
Quote by -themask-
ahh ok sorry man im new

i thoguht pickups worked like this

say 1st switch is all the neck pickup,
2nd switch is neck pickup and middle pickup,
3rd switch is all middle pickup,
4th switch is middle and bridge pickup,
5th switch is all bridge pickup

When I said compliment each other, I didn't mean with them both on at the same time, I mean they give a balanced and varied tone as a set like, say a set of golf clubs. Different clubs for different shots, but they're (usually) all the same model.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
When I said compliment each other, I didn't mean with them both on at the same time, I mean they give a balanced and varied tone as a set like, say a set of golf clubs. Different clubs for different shots, but they're (usually) all the same model.

ah ok, so you wouldn't recommend seymour duncan jb's for the bridge and the dimarzio breeds for the neck and maybe blue velvets for the middle???
Quote by -themask-
ah ok, so you wouldn't recommend seymour duncan jb's for the bridge and the dimarzio breeds for the neck and maybe blue velvets for the middle???

dude just make your life easier and buy a set of EMG's and then mold the sound with your amp
Quote by Head BANGER 81
dude just make your life easier and buy a set of EMG's and then mold the sound with your amp

"Dude" make my life easier and don't give crap advice that people will have to correct.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
"Dude" make my life easier and don't give crap advice that people will have to correct.

so do you think a dimarzio breed in the neck, blue velvet in the middle, and a seymour duncan jb tb4 in the bridge would be good combo?
Quote by -themask-
so do you think a dimarzio breed in the neck, blue velvet in the middle, and a seymour duncan jb tb4 in the bridge would be good combo?

It wouldn't be a bad combo, but I'd personally go for a Breed in the bridge too. But then, it's all down to opinion. All I know is that the guy recommending EMGs had no clue what he was on about.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
It wouldn't be a bad combo, but I'd personally go for a Breed in the bridge too. But then, it's all down to opinion. All I know is that the guy recommending EMGs had no clue what he was on about.

ok thanks man,

what about evolutions? would they be a bad choice for my guitar/wants?
Evolutions are very nice if you're a clean player, if you don't make mistakes. But they'll pick up the mistakes a lot more than other pickups.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by -themask-
i thought the breeds were good for the vai sound (i know there's tones more factors, but more or less...) and i was guno put them in the neck? then like jb's in the bridge, and some single coil bluesy one for the middle..

Are you actually reading my posts?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc