I have the gibson SG faded edition ( http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=517222 ) that I bought about six months ago. It's a sick ass guitar, but I play a lot of metal and I want some pickups that are hotter than the standard ones that are on there. I play a lot of metal (and maybe you more experienced players can comment on them) so I was thinking about the zakk wylde humbucker pickups ( http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMGZW-Zakk-Wylde-8185-Humbucker-Set?sku=301511 ).

I'm a relatively new player (clearly) and I was wondering is there some sort of compatibility issues with putting pickups in a guitar? Would I be retarded to change out the pickups I have for these? Are these even good pickups?

Appreciate any advice. TY
Well, I'd suggest the Duncan Blackouts.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
they're good pickups. I had some in an SG Standard and they sounded great.

the pickups in your SG are already great, though, gibson pickups IMO are the best pickups. so its not like youre getting a huge upgrade in quality, just a different sound
Most important question is what amp are you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by trashbeast
they're good pickups. I had some in an SG Standard and they sounded great.

the pickups in your SG are already great, though, gibson pickups IMO are the best pickups. so its not like youre getting a huge upgrade in quality, just a different sound

yeah you won't really notice any difference unless you have a good/decent amp. and imo these active pickups sounds sterile
if your gonna get the zakk wylde pickups you should get the kerry king pickups instead. theyre pretty much the same pickup but the kerry kings have that gain boost switch
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Don't you need to replace all the other electronics with active pickups too? I guess if you have the time...
i didnt check out the link you posted but i am assuming that they are the active emg 81/85 set,....theres a ton of people that love these...i like um!!...

i have basicaly the same guitar as you,..gibson sg gothic,...i tried many different pick ups in the bridge position,...and i found the dimarzio drop sonic to be a perfect fit for me....(i play alot of metal)....

to answer your question about compatibility,..yes different woods/makes/neck type etc makes a difference.

i would like to point out that alot of guitarist make the mistake of going to extremes,..(they always pick the hottest pick up)...and then are disapointed in the results,...a drop sonic is a hotter pick up then what you currently have,...but what sets it apart is its clarity,...what good is a hot pick up that makes your sound a buzzing, hissing, feedbacking mess of mush!!

thou the the drop sonic is billed as a "drop-tuning-pick up"...the range it covers is perfect for what you want in a mahogany/set neck guitar.......( 90% of the time i use standard tuning,..10% of the time i will use c#).....

you have an awesome guitar,....the drop sonic will put a smile on your face...give it a try....email or call dimarzio they great people to do buisness with and will answer any questions you might have,...and they have an awesome return policy...100% money back if your not happy!!...as a matter of fact i had the dimarzio evolution in it..that my guitar hated and after consulting with dimarzio..they replaced it with the drop sonic....

good luck.....
Quote by steven seagull
Most important question is what amp are you using?

I'm using a crap amp right now... i haven't had the money to upgrade. I'm planning on getting a good-sized marshall, nothing too expensive. But i'd like to plan on using that amp. right now i'm using a behringer amp, i'm not too sure about the model numbers and things like that. it's about 3' x 2.5'. wish i could be more specific but i'm at work right now :P
Quote by jessexxx
i didnt check out the link you posted but i am assuming that they are the active emg 81/85 set,....theres a ton of people that love these...i like um!!...

i have basicaly the same guitar as you,..gibson sg gothic,...i tried many different pick ups in the bridge position,...and i found the dimarzio drop sonic to be a perfect fit for me....(i play alot of metal)....

to answer your question about compatibility,..yes different woods/makes/neck type etc makes a difference.

i would like to point out that alot of guitarist make the mistake of going to extremes,..(they always pick the hottest pick up)...and then are disapointed in the results,...a drop sonic is a hotter pick up then what you currently have,...but what sets it apart is its clarity,...what good is a hot pick up that makes your sound a buzzing, hissing, feedbacking mess of mush!!

thou the the drop sonic is billed as a "drop-tuning-pick up"...the range it covers is perfect for what you want in a mahogany/set neck guitar.......( 90% of the time i use standard tuning,..10% of the time i will use c#).....

you have an awesome guitar,....the drop sonic will put a smile on your face...give it a try....email or call dimarzio they great people to do buisness with and will answer any questions you might have,...and they have an awesome return policy...100% money back if your not happy!!...as a matter of fact i had the dimarzio evolution in it..that my guitar hated and after consulting with dimarzio..they replaced it with the drop sonic....

good luck.....

awesome advice, i will look into them. from what people are telling me it doesn't sound like a good idea to go all out just yet. maybe making a slight improvement would benefit more in the long run. i find it difficult to hit pinch harmonics with my guitar (i realize it's a hard technique to learn), but on a buddies guitar that has different pickups I seem to be able to hit them a good 90% of the time.

so you say they're good in standard tuning, i find myself going from drop d to standard a lot and every once in a while drop C to play a few tunes... is this going to f stuff up?