Ok, after weeks of searching for a good electric guitar and being let down one way or another, I've just decided to make my own, the only apparent way to make it truly perfect

If everything goes as planned, it will have:
A strat body - already got one
An Ibanez-style neck that's more suitable for fast shredding (thin, 24 frets)
Floyd Rose
A humbucker and 2 singles - probably SD or Dimarzio
Custom inlays, knobs, cool paint job, pickguard, etc.

I have a few questions though.

First of all, would putting a thin 24-fret neck on a strat body be a bad idea for any reason? Would it be better to just get a cheap Ibanez RG style guitar for that part (since it looks stratty already)?

Secondly, to add a locking tremolo, would I have to modify the neck? Sorry, I'm a newb when it comes to tremolos. Is the locking part at the neck actually part of the neck, or just a separate thingie?

Finally, What would be the best way to permanently dye some inlays and my pickguard red? These are the inlays I plan to get: http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=decoblockbmophalfli9.jpg - Except I want the silverish part to be red.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Zecromancer at Oct 10, 2008,
I think the only way you could get a neck that fits a strat body , is routed for a floyd rose and has 24 frets is warmoth...if they even do it. There prices are pretty high though. Yes you would have to modify the neck or get one all ready modified. If you wanted I could make you a neck like that for around $200 if you can't find one. Also the neck pickup would have to be moved up with a 22 fret neck.
Well you would have to worry about the compatibility on a Iby neck with a strat body, the heel may not be thick enough, and would probably be the wrong shape, leaving the position of the bridge wrong if you did get it to fit (although if your adding a locking tremolo, you will have to figure you the nut bridge distance to place it correctly any way, so that doesn’t matter). The actual playing area of the neck being thin isn’t really a problem, just the heal/neck pocket area.

To get a locking tremolo to the body you would have to add a locking nut to the neck, and they're bigger than regular nuts, so where the nut rests currently, may not be enough space for the locking nut, meaning you will have to shim up the locking nut to have it sit correctly, if that makes sense.

You can’t really dye inlays or pickguards, you would actually have to get an inlay that was already red, (red shell or red stone etc) and you would have to paint the pickguard not dye it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Thanks for the input.

Is there any way to know how far back I should cut the strat body to make a 24-fret neck sound right in it? I mean, if the neck isn't close enough to the bridge, the harmonics will be all screwed right? Does anyone know how I can make it work?

Also, how would I go about making room for a locking nut? Like, should I carve into the first fret, or in the direction of the head? If I carve towards the head wouldn't it interfere with the truss rod thing?

As for the neck being too THIN, I plan to place a supportive block of wood between the neck and body. It sound stupid, but believe it or not, my second electric guitar came like that from the factory! (it was very cheap) Would there be any more problems I should know about?

Sorry for so many dumb questions... >.<

EDIT: And yes, I am aware that this is a clusterf*** waiting to happen. I honestly have nothing better to do, though. I still plan to give it 100%, even though I'm probably taking a bunch of unnecessary risks.
Last edited by Zecromancer at Oct 10, 2008,
Quote by Zecromancer
Thanks for the input.

Is there any way to know how far back I should cut the strat body to make a 24-fret neck sound right in it? I mean, if the neck isn't close enough to the bridge, the harmonics will be all screwed right? Does anyone know how I can make it work?

Also, how would I go about making room for a locking nut? Like, should I carve into the first fret, or in the direction of the head? If I carve towards the head wouldn't it interfere with the truss rod thing?

As for the neck being too THIN, I plan to place a supportive block of wood between the neck and body. It sound stupid, but believe it or not, my second electric guitar came like that from the factory! (it was very cheap) Would there be any more problems I should know about?

Sorry for so many dumb questions... >.<

You can't carve into the first fret or you will never be able to tune it. You don't need to cut the strat body for a 24 fret neck the fingerboard just overhangs more and will run into the neck pickup if you have one.
Quote by 420 FREAK
You can't carve into the first fret or you will never be able to tune it. You don't need to cut the strat body for a 24 fret neck the fingerboard just overhangs more and will run into the neck pickup if you have one.

Ok, so all I'll have to do is move the neck pickup towards the bridge a bit? That doesn't sound too bad. Will everything else (harmonically and otherwise) be OK if I can do that without messing it up too badly?

And are you saying I should carve in the direction of the head (from the nut) for the locking nut, or what?

(once again, sorry)
Yeah, take wood off in the direction of the head, AWAY from the fretboard.

Shortening the fretboard will cause serious intonation issues.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.