I'll possibly be getting an amp in the near future for my birthday. I want something to be about 250$ dollars as thats all I'll probably be about to get, but I still want it to be relatively loud. The 2 I've been looking looking at were the Ashdown Five Fifteen and Acoustic B100. There both 100 watts with a 15" speaker. I mostly play metal, stuff anywhere from Metallica to Iron Maiden to Cannibal Corpse. So which one of these amps would be the best value and would suit what I play the best? If you can make any othere suggestions for under 250$ that would work to.

Acoustic B100
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B100-100W-1x15-Bass-Combo?sku=482900

Ashdown Five Fifteen
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Five-Fifteen-15-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485040
crates are nice, i got mine for 200 something. loud, good low end, the distortion kinda sucks though. but good amp nonetheless
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
inb4 humanity's acoustic bumming

i wouldn't recommend either of them, they are both very under powered for a metal band, i'd recommend something like a hartke ha2500 combo as a minimum power output
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I have education to take care of. and I had to pee. lay off!!!

but indeed, humanity says Acoustic rocks. but I'd play both. because Ashdown is indeed, a nice company.

but I love me my Acoustic. though, since I doubt you will be audible anyways with a drummer, why not get an AB50? it sounds nicer than the B100 and has dual input so you can plug 2 guys into it for a cramped jam session.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
B100 Are Amazing I Had One I Loved It Buy It Or I Will Kill You!!!!!!!!!
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
I have an acoustic b200, and love it for jazz and blues type stuff. I do play in a band with a few of my friends, but they don't really have enough to overpower my amp.
~Insert Signature Here~
Both nice amps, but I can't stress enough how disappointing 15" speakers are for most people (Apparently no one here, though). If you can find an amp with 2x10 speakers, do it. 15" Speakers generally have a slow response and tend to sound muddy. A lot. I love my Crate, but I'd kill for a 2x10 extension cab for it. Gives you a quicker response, more highs, a glassier sound, and MUCH less muddiness.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
i have a five fifteen and its way loud enough for a drummer at just 6

also cannibal corpse is my favourite band ever
My Five Fifteen was a great amp, i gigged with it for a while. worth it if you can find one second hand.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
i would say that the crate 100 has a very muddy, fuzzy sort of sound (well, that is my experience). it is used in a school classroom, so it is a bit crowded (meaning i cant spread out to hear it) but it sounds muddy, doesnt control the highs well and sounds pretty crap.

i dont know how the five fifteen plays, but my ashdown (mag300head w/ mag 115 cab) is a very good, clean, deep bottom end, with no lack of control in the highs. very nice amp.

so thats my suggestion. or, if your going Ashdown, might pay to track down either a mag or abm combo with either 2 10" speakers or a 1 15.

good luck with your searches
i love my bass =]

The most utterly boring member Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.