so.. idk
can some one explain to me what these are.. this may be a really stupid question

like i know there files..
but where do you get them
whats the difference between the 2

can you things like movies and stuff?

also, a friend tryed a long time ago on my old computer and he got the program downloaded and liek a minute later the computer was ****ered.. yes ****ered, its super ****ed

so, are they safe? because brand new laptop + virus= more money spent

so.. help teh n00b witta questionmark?
well first of all I think you need an anti-virus program. It sounds like you don't at the moment
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
I think you mean rapidshares, which is a file share website where users upload files for others to download. You can get pretty much anything from rapidshare but you have to pay if you plan on downloading a lot.

Torrents require a bittorrent protocol program to download files from multiple computers at once, a peer to peer type effort.
Quote by RMC06
yeah, what the hell is a rapidshare?

Rapidshare is a site where people can upload files. They then give you a link and you download the file. Simple

^

aww poo, beaten to it
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Torrents are singular files hosted on websites all over the internet. You need a torrent client to donwload the torrent files which is done in a peer-to-peer environment (You're getting them from other torrent users).

Rapidshare is a file hosting website that holds all of the files uploaded to their website on their servers and allows you to download from their servers for a small fee, or for free if you don't mind waiting a certain amount of hours before you can download again.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
ive got an av, and it works good its just that i dont want to take any chances really, which may be impossible if its like.. peer to peer or how ever its said, i know what it means

like.. is it liek limwire in any sense? but it needs a special program to open the file you download?
Quote by brokenpick
ive got an av, and it works good its just that i dont want to take any chances really, which may be impossible if its like.. peer to peer or how ever its said, i know what it means

like.. is it liek limwire in any sense? but it needs a special program to open the file you download?

depends on the file. You could need a program to mount the disk or you might just need winrar
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Tread carefully. Anyone mentioning a torrent site per se will get a warning, by all means explain what they are, but that is it.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
Quote by The Hurt Within
Tread carefully. Anyone mentioning a torrent site per se will get a warning, by all means explain what they are, but that is it.

Quote by brokenpick

Torrents need a special program to obtain the files, once they're downloaded they're just like any other file.

It's different from limewire because it's not self contained in one program, you need to download torrent files from websites which open in the torrent program and in turn access other computers who are also downloading that file.

Torrents are safe as long as you read the torrent comments and scan the files befor eyou use them

http://www.utorrent.com/beginners-guide.php

just read that.

Quote by The Hurt Within
Does that include the utorrent link I just posted?
If you're looking to download lots, i'd definitely recommend RapidShare, even if you have to pay to use. On torrents, I was getting speeds from 5 - 30 kb/s. Rapidshare maxes out my connection to get 230kb/s

Also, the quality of files just seems to be better, I have barely ever had a problem from RS, however with torrents I sometimes found the files are actually something else.

http://www.rapidshare.com

Read up if you like
Say hi

Playing: Sleeping Dogs, FIFA 13, Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2
Reading: The Hobbit

Watching: How I met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, 24

Listening: Muse - The 2nd Law
Hurt_Within:

Surely linking to torrent client websites isn't forbidden? I download plenty of files that aren't illegal over torrents. You'll find a lot of online video makers think of torrents as the most effective distribution method.

Similar to limewire.
Just use sites like Torrentz.com or the pirate bay, and read comments before you download to be sure you're not downloading viruses...
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
Quote by Smokey Amp
Hurt_Within:

Surely linking to torrent client websites isn't forbidden? I download plenty of files that aren't illegal over torrents. You'll find a lot of online video makers think of torrents as the most effective distribution method.
Torrent technology isn't inherently illegal, what you do with it can be though, so I would agree with you.