A question for my fellow GG&A'rs: I have a '65 Deluxe Reverb, not known for powerful gain. I just want an OD to boost it to a '70s Hard rock tone, like Blue Oyster Cult and Kiss. Would the Bad Monkey be capable of this? How thick can it get, not really looking for metal. Thanks.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Bad Monkey should be perfect. I haven't used one but from what I hear they are great for the price.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
It will be your best bet if your on a budget...

this.
O O

___
Well, I can probably got to $80, be used for blues, classic rock, blues rock, and '60s and '70s Hard Rock. Not really anything modern, modern rock dissapoints me. Thanks.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
save up 10 more bucks and get the TS-9
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
Quote by lespaul#1
Well, I can probably got to $80, be used for blues, classic rock, blues rock, and '60s and '70s Hard Rock. Not really anything modern, modern rock dissapoints me. Thanks.

If you can spring for a tubescreamer it will be your best bet for what your looking for.
i'm a fan of Bad Monkey. Gain=0, Level = 10, Treb = 5, Bass = to pref

Having the bass really helps imo and I would maybe take the remaining $30 and get a Danlectro FishnChips EQ pedal if you don't have an EQ.

what amp again?
'65 Deluxe Reverb reissue, would the Bad Monkey be a good alternative if I can't get a TS9, I also am looking at a '63 reissue spring reverb tank for the splash sounds, so cheaper is better. Good idea on the EQ BTW.
Quote by chip46
This'd be sweet:http://www.alpha-music.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=4498

Read the price tag.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/msg/817236986.html

A Keeley Modded BD-2, must buy. If they're actually transparent and have all that gain, I may need to buy one can it achove this tone: http://www.bossus.com/go/compact_pedal_demo/

Go to BD-2 and listen to the second example, I want that tone.
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Oct 9, 2008,
Quote by lespaul#1
'65 Deluxe Reverb reissue, would the Bad Monkey be a good alternative if I can't get a TS9, I also am looking at a '63 reissue spring reverb tank for the splash sounds, so cheaper is better. Good idea on the EQ BTW.

The bad monkey is a clone of the tubescreamer minus the mid hump and warmth. Its a great clean booster if you play metal and want to tighten things up and get a good boost to the preamps. But it lacks in the stand alone area. Its a great budget piece but for what you need its sub par.
So a Keeley Modded BD-2 or a TS-9 or Ts-808 would be perfect for me?
Quote by chip46
If you can push a little more, a TS would be a bit better. The Bad Monkey is only really good when you have the level up and the gain down. It doesn't sound that great when you try to crank up the gain.
Quote by mcrfobtai
If you can push a little more, a TS would be a bit better. The Bad Monkey is only really good when you have the level up and the gain down. It doesn't sound that great when you try to crank up the gain.

So it'd probably be used Tubescreamer for me.
Quote by chip46
i have the TS808 reissue and it is beyond excellent. you couldn't ask for a better sounding pedal.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
i have the TS808 reissue and it is beyond excellent. you couldn't ask for a better sounding pedal.

Thanks.
Quote by chip46
I would go tubescreamer, man.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
i'll be different and say this:

the gain on the BM isn't as unappealing as everyone usually says it is. when i use it, i usually compromise a tad on the level knob and make up with some increase on the gain knob. there IS a point where the gain knob stops sounding like a tube-style breakup and just regular SS gain (around 11 o'clock if i remember correctly; and this gain DOESN'T sound bad, very usable). but don't think that the ONLY way to use the bad monkey is to have zero gain and maxed level. this is just if you want the BEST use of the pedal. tone nazis are tone nazis for a reason.

but honestly, i used the BM on my ibanez 10 watt toneblaster (bored lol) and it was very bluesy and had crunch (nothing like on my blackheart though). and on it's own it puts enough gain for 70s hard rock. skynyrd/AC/DC/blue oyster cult.

sorry but i had to say this b/c i see a lotta people making it seem like the gain on the BM is the most disgusting thing ever...i like it...just not as good as the REAL deal. am i the only one who feels this way? or maybe i'm tone deaf.

i say get a bad monkey and danelectro fish n' chips EQ for BEST bang for your buck!!! my bad monkey is SOLID and NEVER fails me!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Yeah the Bad Monkey's are good for people with little to no budget, or someone like me, who has enough gain on tap, but just needs a little tweaking
Thanks guys, Imma try and test guitars, reverb units, and OD's this weekend.
Quote by chip46
Quote by mcrfobtai
You have a Deluxe Reverb and you are gonna try out reverb units? What bes wrong with you?

I'm just testing them, the Deluxe Reverb is awesome, but I don't get teh splahez.
Quote by chip46
I have a Verbzilla, but it kills volume when the "Verb is cranked.
Quote by chip46
TS9 or 808.

When you use them though, it'll help a lot if your amp if already breaking up. I know that might be pretty loud, but it'll get nice and think at that point.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by LP51122
TS9 or 808.

When you use them though, it'll help a lot if your amp if already breaking up. I know that might be pretty loud, but it'll get nice and think at that point.

Yeah, at 7-10, which is loud, I get Classic Rock OD. But I can't crank teh ampz every time.
Quote by chip46
I just want to add with what that slash dude was saying. The gain on the Bad Monkey isn't bad at all... I use mine around 12 o' clock or so with the level around 7. Adds a good bit of breakup and sounds great.
Yeah, whenever I try one at GuitarCenter, the only one I used was the Screaming Blues, which I had to keep on a low volume, so I got like no gain, and the Death Metal, to check how brutal it was.
Quote by chip46
Build an 808 from General guitar gadgets. I have one and it sounds amazing, the gain is usable, though past a point it doesn't sound great. Its uber quiet too, even with the level maxed and some gain throw on and the tone dialed hard to the treble side. If you take you time soldering you'll have a high quality pedal.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by mcrfobtai
Yeah the Bad Monkey's are good for people with little to no budget, or someone like me, who has enough gain on tap, but just needs a little tweaking

Hey i'm appalled by that comment lol I have my Bad Monkey Sitting right next to a $240 Keeley TS9DX Flexi thank you very much

The bad monkey has its place no matter the budget it just depends on what your using it for
I have one too and I love it to death. But I just think it doesn't have great gain on it's own. It really is a fantastic boost
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have one too and I love it to death. But I just think it doesn't have great gain on it's own. It really is a fantastic boost

I know im just yankin your chain...

Its a great clean boost and actually kills alot of the more expensive pedals in that category. But as a stand alone it shows its value which isn't a bad thing its just how she falls.
Another ?, when the reverb all the way up on my Verbzilla, it kills the volume, but sounds great. Why does it do that?
Quote by chip46
C'mon.
Quote by chip46