My teacher has given us a big graph and told us to make a picture on it but it has to include several types of lines (parallel, perpendicular, etc) and two absolute value graphs. So i've drawn a house and fulfilled all the requirements but the second part is to write the equations and domain restrictions of the lines. Would an equation really only be necessary for a slanted line or absolute value graphs? Do the domain restrictions just basically say to what points a certain line extends as to not imply that the lines go on forever? How do you write the domain of a line?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Do the domain restrictions just basically say to what points a certain line extends as to not imply that the lines go on forever?
yep

How do you write the domain of a line?
in school here we did it like: x ∈ [-2,2]

and everything is some kind of equation so I don't get what you're getting at
we did that in 6th grade
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
masamune im pretty sure thats not what i'm looking for
say you got a line going from (2,3) to (6,7)

the eq should be something like

y=x+1
and domain restriction is X is greater than or equal to 2 and less than or eqaul to 6.
use symbols ofcourse.
The domain is the set of x values for which the curve/line works. So for a straight line extending forever, that's "All real x" because it is true for all values of x. If the line only lies between x=2 and x=5, then the domain would be 2 <= x <= 5

The range, if this is important, is the same, but for function/y values. The range of an absolute value graph sitting on y=0 would be y >= 0.

edit: in case you didnt know, they arent arrows. They are "Less than or equal to" and so forth.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Last edited by syk3d at Oct 9, 2008,
If you're doing it on a graphing calculator:

1. Vertical lines aren't possible on a graphing calculator's y= feature due to the fact that it interprets them as functions of x, and a vertical line fails the vertical line test for a function.

2. Domain restrictions look like this:

y = blah blah blah | 3<x<6

on a calculator.
Quote by LinkManDX
If you're doing it on a graphing calculator:

1. Vertical lines aren't possible on a graphing calculator's y= feature due to the fact that it interprets them as functions of x, and a vertical line fails the vertical line test for a function.

2. Domain restrictions look like this:

y = blah blah blah | 3<x<6

on a calculator.

get a calculator that does parametric plots?
ah ok, i found some old notes and i'm all good with how to get the domain and stuff now, thanks =)
one more thing actually, when graphing a line... say i have I have a vertical line on (3,0) and it goes up and down 4 units so the domain would be -4<y<4 right? but do i have to put x=3 as well? so the complete domain would be like x=3 -4<y<4 or something?
Quote by C.C. Deville
one more thing actually, when graphing a line... say i have I have a vertical line on (3,0) and it goes up and down 4 units so the domain would be -4<y<4 right? but do i have to put x=3 as well? so the complete domain would be like x=3 -4<y<4 or something?

If the line spans 4 units, then no. You'd put:

__ < y < __

First blank is the lowest value for y that the line starts at, and the second blank is the highest.

So if I had a vertical line from -2 to 11, I would write:

-2 < y < 11

To show that y will always be greater than -2 (or -2 is not greater than y) and that y will always be less than 11
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster