So I have finally faced the facts. Tube is infact better than solid state.

I have a Line 6 Spider III 120w. Great practice amp. Terrible amp for being loud and playing with a band 120 watts or not. It still gets super bassy and muddy passed 5, and doesn't get any louder even if at 10. If you were to try and play clearly or play a solo over a drummer just pouding away, it will never happen because the amp is carp, and you will just hear random notes. The guitar is what makes the metal.

So on May 21, 2009, (I'll be 15) I will officially be able to have a REAL job at last while im not in school, so I will be able to make some moeny instead of waiting years upon years for birthday and Christmas money.

I want the Peavey 6505 Half-stack because:
I would rather be "too loud" than too quiet
I hear it is an AMAZING amplifier for metal (especially death metal)
Good price compared to other stacks and heads I've seen and heard that aren't supposed to be nearly as good
I just want something to be able to hear me clearly playing lead or not, while playing with a band
The bigger places you play, the bigger you need to sound
Half-stacks make you look like a f*ckin tank, as long as they aren't Marshall MG's

QUESTIONS!
Is it all clean, do I need a distortion pedal?
Is it really that great for metal?
Better for rythym or lead?

I like bands such as Metallica, Lamb of God, Slayer, Pantera, Megadeth, At The Gates, Cannibal Corpse, Anthrax, etc., etc. IS THIS THE AMP FOR ME?
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
1) You won't need a distortion pedal unless you want a solo/volume boost or super omega distortion
2) Yes
3) Either

I think this amp would be good but the cab it comes with has less-than-great speakers. I'd recommend buying the head and cab separately.
im buying new
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
i'd definitely go for a 6505 half stack.

having heard a 6505 halfstack (it was being used with a Sunn 4x12.. SWEEEEET cab) right beside a 6505 combo..

well the halfstack destroyed that combo.. we were jamming pretty loud, so that halfstack just had the extra oomph behind it, not to mention that cab (the Sunn) was just straight up awesome.

i dunno whats holding the combo back.. i think it was the speakers.. i just found the combo really scratchy sounding and it had lots of feedback.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by HighPotency
I think this amp would be good but the cab it comes with has less-than-great speakers. I'd recommend buying the head and cab separately.

+1
great heads, pretty mediocre cabs. Get the head, and get a better cab for it.

Quote by Kivarenn82
i'd definitely go for a 6505 half stack.

having heard a 6505 halfstack (it was being used with a Sunn 4x12.. SWEEEEET cab) right beside a 6505 combo..

well the halfstack destroyed that combo.. we were jamming pretty loud, so that halfstack just had the extra oomph behind it, not to mention that cab (the Sunn) was just straight up awesome.

i dunno whats holding the combo back.. i think it was the speakers.. i just found the combo really scratchy sounding and it had lots of feedback.

the combo is 60W, so much smaller output transformer, which makes a difference in the punch the amp has. The speakers also make a difference. Those things combined with the added bass response from a 4x12 definitely makes a big difference overall IMO. I greatly prefer the head with a good cab over the combo.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I might have the chance to buy one for $8 tomorrow (You read that right) I'll tell you how it sounds if i get to play it. Check your PM's tomorrow.
Quote by Final !mpact
I might have the chance to buy one for $8 tomorrow (You read that right) I'll tell you how it sounds if i get to play it. Check your PM's tomorrow.

"lol wut?"

Explain, please.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
The 6505 combo simply doesn't get the love it deserves. I wonder if the people who put it down have ever even spent time with one. First, it is biased warmer than the head, so it has a warmer tone which is noticeable. I replaced the Sheffields (which are nowhere near as bad as people say) with two custom voiced V12 Legends. The bass response has to be heard to be believed. I also retubed it with two Black Sable 6L6GC's powers and JJ pres and there is NO FIZZ, NO = ZERO FEEDBACK, even turned all the way up. Lastly, it sounds simply Godlike for metal. It's a showstopper and conversation piece everytime I fire it up in front of friends or other musicians. Sure I had to spend a few bucks on it, but it was very much worth it.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
The 6505 combo simply doesn't get the love it deserves. I wonder if the people who put it down have ever even spent time with one. First, it is biased warmer than the head, so it has a warmer tone which is noticeable. I replaced the Sheffields (which are nowhere near as bad as people say) with two custom voiced V12 Legends. The bass response has to be heard to be believed. I also retubed it with two Black Sable 6L6GC's powers and JJ pres and there is NO FIZZ, NO = ZERO FEEDBACK, even turned all the way up. Lastly, it sounds simply Godlike for metal. It's a showstopper and conversation piece everytime I fire it up in front of friends or other musicians. Sure I had to spend a few bucks on it, but it was very much worth it.

cool man! now we know

i've always wanted to get the combo, but was kinda put off by its performance when compared directly beside the halfstack while in band practice.

i suppose changing the stock tubes is key?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.