Hey all. I have an Epi LP that I've had EMG's in for quite a while now. Over the course of that while, I've really changed my interests in what I play. I never play metal anymore, and very rarely anything heavier than Iron Maiden. Mostly I play jazz, blues, and rock (like AC/DC, Poison, Iron Maiden, Satriani, that type stuff). So, the cleans in the EMG's (I have the 81 and 85) and really pretty bad to be honest, and the high gain is much more than I need running into my B-52. I'd like to get something that can put out some nice clean tone.

I was curious if anyone had any experience changing from actives back to passives? Is it very hard to do yourself? I'd really rather not have to pay a shop to do it. Are there any guides around that I could glance at?

And lastly, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what pickups I could put in. Anything below $200 is fine.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
seymour duncans, 59 or sh-2 in neck, sh-4,sh-5 in bridge

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Quote by Awaken
seymour duncans, 59 or sh-2 in neck, sh-4,sh-5 in bridge

Thanks for the reply, I was looking at the SH-2 and SH-4.

Mostly I was just curious on how I would go about the switch from the EMG's to a passive pickup. I tried googling, but all I could find so far was people discussing the differences.
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by Op3th
Thanks for the reply, I was looking at the SH-2 and SH-4.

Mostly I was just curious on how I would go about the switch from the EMG's to a passive pickup. I tried googling, but all I could find so far was people discussing the differences.

You will need new vol. & tone pots if you don't have the originals from your guitar. You'll also need a new input jack. The Seymour Duncan website has all kinds of wiring diagrams to show you how to hook them up. I think the SH-4 and SH-2 would be a good choice.
I still have the jack and pots from my old pickups.
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by mcrfobtai
Why would he need new pots and a new jack?

Pots for active pickups have different values than those for passive pickups, so those would need to be changed.
Going from passive to active, you need a stereo jack so it turns the battery on when you plug the guitar in- but switching from active to passive, you can leave the stereo jack in and just not use the extra contact.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Why would he need new pots and a new jack?

He's taking active pickups out and putting in passive ones. Active pickups use 25k pots and passive pickups use 250k or 500k pots. Passive pickups would sound awful if he used the 25k pots. He needs a new input jack because that's how the battery connects to power the active pickups. He would need to include the pots and input jack if he sold the EMG's. Without them the value of the EMG's goes down.