to have tension in my arm when i play fast chuggy riffs such as those played in lamb of god and other metal bands?
my guitar teacher talked to me about this. He says it's bad, and that it should be avoided. it hinders speed and accuracy, and over time can actually **** up your arm badly.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
No. Slow down and eliminate all tension in your picking arm before you speed up. Picking should be a relaxed wrist motion, not a result of tensing up your forearm etc.
the pick shouldn't be parallel to the strings, keep it a little slanted so you don't have to strum too hard. and really, the slack wrist is the most crucial part.
Gear List:
Jackson DKMG Dinky Cobalt-Blue
Washburn EA8B Cutaway
Line 6 Spider II 112
Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Boss RC20-XL Looper Station
Quote by benjonotbanjo
the pick shouldn't be parallel to the strings, keep it a little slanted so you don't have to strum too hard. and really, the slack wrist is the most crucial part.

how to u slant the pic?
with your thumb?
Quote by cemetarygates31
how to u slant the pic?
with your thumb?

If you hold the pick in between your thumb and index, push your thumb into the pick a little to slant it.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
You should not have ANY tension at all while playing guitar. If you have tension, you are not playing as well as you could. You will always play better without tension. If you have tension, relax and get rid of it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.