Page 1 of 2
Ok, so me and my dad are making a custom-built Gibson SG. It's not a problem (other than taking quite a long time) since my dad is this expert woodworker, and I'm supplying all my guitar knowledge and he all his woodworking knowledge and its going well.

So far we're staying true to the plans in general shape, but for electronics, we're changing it around. Also, custom paint is going to be used.

So, basically I was going to ask you guys for your opinions. I'll probably supply pics when it looks good.

A) I'm looking for a non-Floyd Rose tremolo, and I'm not sure but I don't think I need a locking tremolo if I get locking tuners, right? I don't really care about the full whammy divebomb think, I just want to not have my guitar go out of tune immediately.

B ) Are there any MS Paint masters who could get me a medium sized sketch of an sg?

It just needs to be the outline and the SG style pickguard, and the neck and a headstock. You don't have to fill in anything in the inside except for a line to cut off the neck from the body and the neck from the headstock. That way i can play around with paint designs easy.

C)- Should I bother with a kill switch? I don't want one if its going to ruin the look of the guitar, but it would be neat to have one. I think.

D) Are there anythings to the SG standard's design that I should change/ you would change?

Thanks for any answers
The arena is empty except for one man,
Still driving and striving as fast as he can.
The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
And long ago somebody left with the cup,
But he's driving and striving and hugging the turns...
no killswitch. i think they are completely useless unless your playing gigs with more than one amp and effects, etc.

full pickguard, or the half??
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Bigsby's look awesome on Sg's. They are an old type of tremelo that were really opular back in the days of blues rock'n'roll but aren't that good at things like dive bombs so they faded out, but you still see them on heaps of gibsons. A killswitch is sweet as long as it isn't an ugly looking switch, it can really make or break the guitar. Just get one that is good looking or inconspicuous.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
A. Wilkinson or Kahler. If you want to go high end, i'd recommend the Kahler.

C. Don't. Turning one pickup volume off does the same thing with the pickup switch.

D. Sometimes the strap button on the back of the heel gets in my way. That's about it.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
look into Bigsby tremolos or something similar. i have a kill switch, and it's pretty cool. i'm into playing kinda excremental stuff, so i use it constantly. it sounds cool even in normal stuff too. as for the body, i really like the SG body, and wouldn't change a thing

EDIT: i don't know why everyone hates the kill switch, i like it, and i think it's a cool add on for any guitar
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
full pickguard, or the half??

Full pickguard.

I'd like an inconspuous one but idk if there are ones that are better than others?

Thanks for the Bigsby tip, I might work with that. Still want to see alot of options though.

And for pick ups, I know they're humbuckers but I'm not quite sure of the brand, I have them downstairs. Something starting with a D or an M. I bought them off Stewmac.com

And I couldn't find the master picture...
Sorry for the double post.

The Kahler looks pretty nice, and do you have any ideas on where the strap button should be moved to?

And they're Golden Age humbuckers, I'm pretty sure.
Quote by gwitersnamps
A. Wilkinson or Kahler. If you want to go high end, i'd recommend the Kahler.

C. Don't. Turning one pickup volume off does the same thing with the pickup switch.

D. Sometimes the strap button on the back of the heel gets in my way. That's about it.

dont get a kahler, ive built two guitars with them, both were awful, biggest waste of "steel" ever (i say steel in quotes because its soft as shit)
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
look into Bigsby tremolos or something similar. i have a kill switch, and it's pretty cool. i'm into playing kinda excremental stuff, so i use it constantly. it sounds cool even in normal stuff too. as for the body, i really like the SG body, and wouldn't change a thing

EDIT: i don't know why everyone hates the kill switch, i like it, and i think it's a cool add on for any guitar

excremental, huh? interesting...
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Oh, well really I just need a tremolo that's decent and works, so if its gonna be a waste I don't want to buy a Kahler.

Lol @ excremental :P
Ok, so I made a finished outline that I based off of a .jpg that 420 freak was so kind to send me. So, basically the changes I made were the pickguard and the knobs location.

Here 'tis:

And I also will be using this to post paint designs that I have created, or I'll change if people have good ideas as to the shape. I basically pasted the .jpg into MS Paint, and freehanded the shape. Then, I used the curvy-line tool to adjust uneven spots, then I did the same for the pickguard. Then I threw in the bridge and knobs.

I could have used the original plans, except when I tried to fill in the body with the paintbucket tool it had all that off-color jpg distortion stuff. But I couldn't have done this master thingy without 420 Freak's help, so thank you very much.

For the paint, basically its going to be a solid color (no grain showing) and probably not in blue. (My current guitar is electric blue and it can be quite tiring to look at. The pickguard is most likely going to be black, small chance of white. I might throw in some sort of stripes or design. Not sure.
Quote by Davus
you have any ideas on where the strap button should be moved to?

ESP puts them on the upper horn, I think.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
I have no oppinion on the topic......but.....

SAY ANYTHING FTW!!!!!!

i love your sig....
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Go for a Bigsby, they look really nice on SGs. And you dont have to route out the back of the body, which if you did, would rob a very thin body of even more wood and sustain. Or, if you can find one on eBay, an old Gibson Vibrola trem, like on the Angus Young sig SG. As for paint, I guess ill play around on Kisekae and see what looks good, but ill tell you right now that black will look good for sure.

EDIT: Kisekae doesnt have a Bigsby for the SG. Heres a few ideas.
dark red, white, or 3-color burst.

Last edited by qotsa1998 at Oct 10, 2008,
Yeah Max Bemis rules. :P

I tried that Kisekae thing but it didn't really seem open enough... Like with MS Paint the only limits are your talent and how sh-tty MS Paint is. OH and the pickups could also be Dimarzio, that sounds close to right. I really gotta check.
^ a minor technicality
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
yeah, I was just joking. Hope to see pics soon, TS

I could take a picture of the neck and the headstock, but really it's just an shaped piece of wood. We're starting the fretboard and I was trying to think of designs for the inlays.
^ dots. simple, easy. don't try to overdo your first guitar... you're bound to f*k up a lot of things

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
^ dots. simple, easy. don't try to overdo your first guitar... you're bound to f*k up a lot of things

dot.
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8

Not to mention dots don't look half bad anyhow.
just make sure you get dots for a drill size you can easily buy.

I bought dots that were 5mm and had to get a special drill because metric drills are really hard to come by in the usa... but the only inch size they had was 1/4" which, for dots, are big and ugly .

anyone ever notice how nasty mother of pearl smells when you sand it?

Well, I have dots on all my other guitars and figure if I'm going to f*ck things up now, I can't see how it will change in the future. For the inlays I mean. So anyways here's some pic updates:

My ideas for inlays. Before you guys said just to do dots.

The rosewood that will becometh the fretboard.

And the yet unfinished neck (my dads weary about getting on with the cuts since he messed up two mahogany blanks already)

So yeah. That's all for now.
I wouldn't go with dots if you didn't like them, I wouldn't want an sg with dots so I think your making the right choice doing custom inlays. I would do it before I glued it to the neck though in case you mess it up it's ok to rout just a little bit bigger and use super glue and rosewood sawdust to fill it in.
also if you want a tremolo I'm pretty sure the body has to be a 1/4" thicker unless it's the bigsby
Thank you for the inlay/ bigsby tips. What would happen if I didn't make the body 1/4" bigger? O_O
the trem wont fit. bigsby ftw.
oh and whered u buy that rosewood? looks almost exactly like the piece i got for my build..
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
*runs into room* *checks box with fretboard and still yet to be cut neck blank ( )*
*runs back* nope, still there
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
oh and whered u buy that rosewood? looks almost exactly like the piece i got for my build..

stewmac.com

You get it there?

Oh and sorry for this upcoming newbie question, but by thickening the body by 1/4" what are the positive/negative side-effects?
Page 1 of 2