I've been attempting to play guitar for a few months now, and I'm not really making any progress (trying to teach myself, no money for an instructor), and I am thinking about switching to bass. I'm not saying that it is easier, but I think that I would be better at it than guitar. So do you think I should switch to bass, try to continue guitar or just buy a cheap bass and try both?
guitar lessons would probably cost less than buying a bass and amp to get into playing bass so if money is your main issue.... just get guitar lessons
I wouldn't suggest trying to learn both; you'll probably just get frustrated and give both up. If you like the way a guitar sounds, learn that; if you're more into bass, then learn that. Don't stop guitar just because you're not progressing, you will if you keep working at it.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Borrow a friends bass if you can, I would try it out before buying on and trying it not being so sure. And if you like bass in music then go for it. But don't do it because it's easier. Ha.
Guitar lessons would probably be cheaper too. Kinda.
dont go to bass. i guarantee you would quit it anyways after a while. trust me, its hard in the beginning for guitar but after a while it all becomes worth it. no offense to any bass players but bass is a relatively boring instrument for the average player, and for people trying to play along to songs and such. stick with guitar.
stick with the guitar i hated it the 1st couple months but i stuck it out and although im still not all that great i love it
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Try a bass first before you go considering switching. Don't think of bass as a 'dumbed-down' guitar. If you're struggling at guitar, don't look at bass as an answer. If anything, the learning curve is more difficult because you have less options to get to your notes and it takes more hand stregnth to make the notes clean.

Feel free to give it a try if you like the sound/feel of a bass, but don't expect it to be a cure for learning and practicing your craft.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by steveclark1212
dont just switch cause its easier..

the olny thing easier about bass than guitar is starting off. casue it doesnt seem quite as complex seeing how there a generally only four strings but bass overall is not by any means a easier instrument. if anything it is a hard insrtument to actually get good at.

Quote by seanjp7
dont go to bass. i guarantee you would quit it anyways after a while. trust me, its hard in the beginning for guitar but after a while it all becomes worth it. no offense to any bass players but bass is a relatively boring instrument for the average player, and for people trying to play along to songs and such. stick with guitar.

bass is not relatively boring. i love that crazy mind set that guitarist get bass is a easy and boring instrument its far from it. its boring if you are a sh*tty player who sticks to root notes but if you begining to explore the bass you can do almost anything that a guitarsit can do plus more. i.e. slap pop.

take it from someone who is a active hobbyist in both the guitar and bass it really boils down to what you like playing best. i would recommed that you get both. cause if you want to be a musican just as a hobbyist or professional you will want to expand your musical abilities and become a musician not just a guitarist. so my vote is get both and se what you like.

oh and just casue you say on offence doesnt maean there none taken. its like saying no offence its nothing personal i just dont like you...
Quote by steveclark1212
dont just switch cause its easier..

... *kicks*

It's not easier, it's just different. Look at it this way, for one you're playing on freakin' bridge cables, for two you have less ways to get to the same notes, so scales slide around all over the place, and for 3 it takes just as much technique to make the notes sound well. Anyone can plunk out 3 root notes, let's see you play like Flea or Geezer Butler or Cliff Burton.

Bass is easier my ass..
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
If you give up on one, you'll give up another. Unless you can guarantee to yourself that bass will somehow be different, ride it out.
Learning guitar makes you better at bass and vice versa. Dont give up on guitar. If anything, learn both.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Yeah, its harder to sound good playing bass than it is playing guitar, you need tighter rhythm and a strong awareness of voicing from an earlier stage than you will with guitar. Not that these things don't become crucially important to good guitar players as well, they just come into play earlier in the development of a bassplayer.

I have to agree with everyone else, if you give up on guitar, you'll give up on proper bass playing too.
I agree with Mike entirely. Learning bass properly takes much more dedication, diligence and determination. Its not nearly forgiving as guitar. I play both. I got away with a relative timing with rhythm guitar that would be unforgivable now that I am a bass player.

Playing both will make you better at both, but for me bass is much harder to master and to play well. If you don't have the dedication to play guitar well, bass may not be the instrument to turn to as an alternative.
1: Have you heard any good bassists?
2: No, but I know of a few.

Both instruments take practice. If you're not dedicated enough to "conquer" the guitar, then you probably won't have any better luck on bass.
GAS list-o-rama
Orange Tiny Terror Head ($549)
Epiphone VJ Cab ($129)
Seymour Duncan SHPG1/SH-11 set ($95 + $79)
Gaskell Classic (~$680)
Black Gibson SG Standard ($1499)
dont think no money is an excuse for not trying, guitar is easier than ever to learn nowadays, sure UG lessons and Youtube isn't as good as a teacher, but give it a shot because you can do it. also, don't think it isnt worth the time to surf the web, if you dont like a particular site or lesson, who cares? its free just don't go back
Bass will be easier if you're trying to perform mindless bass riffs that consist of nothing but the root notes of chords. If that sounds like something you'd like to do, go for it!
Don't think bass is easier then guitar.
If you were to play with a band, having a good bassist would be just as important as having a good guitarist.
Quote by Korosu
Bass will be easier if you're trying to perform mindless bass riffs that consist of nothing but the root notes of chords. If that sounds like something you'd like to do, go for it!

And any old idiot can play those power chords at the same time.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
dont give up on yourself bro

guitar is awesome, but everybody has difficulty in the beginning
its part of the fun!
if u keep ur dedication to it, and put your time in
you will rock it, promise.
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Quote by gm jack
And any old idiot can play those power chords at the same time.

The point was more so that that would be the only way bass could be an easier route.