I'm looking for a new amp that is big on versatility - being able to have all the effects of a POD x3 of some sort without the expense.

My current amp right now is a shitty 12 watt GX-15 crate, so I want to get a new one, not buy a bunch of pedals.

Basically I'm looking for a versatile (modeling?) amp that sounds great and is affordable, under $400 dollars probably.

Suggest away!
I knew I forgot something - mainly just classic rock. Boston, Rush, maybe some Journey... Probably end up playing a little bit of metal such as Metallica.

Also probably going to do a few Foo Fighter covers.

EDIT: Also being able to record from would be a great feature I'd want.
Vox Valvetronix. If you're playing at home get a small one; for gigs get a little one.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by hippiemetalguy
i would really suggest just bumping up to any half or even full stack of crate anything lol

please be joking.

For what your up to, I would suggest a

used Classic 30
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Cube 30x
used ashdown fallen angel
Crate V18 with an SM57 and recording software.

Think about the effects you actually will be using first.
Direct to recording from amps usually sounds horrible. Micing em and using an ad/da converter is the way to go.
Quote by Highwaytohell

used Classic 30
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Cube 30x

Direct to recording from amps usually sounds horrible. Micing em and using an ad/da converter is the way to go.

this
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
I would highly suggest playing and testing a valvetronix Vox. I really like them especially the 30 watt version. Other people here may not like them calling a hybrid "a marketing scheme" but tube clipping is present in this amp. Try it first to see if you like it.
Quote by Highwaytohell
please be joking.

used Classic 30
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Cube 30x

Switch out the cube for a VT and take out the Ashdown and that is a good list. You don't sound like you need a WHOLE lot of effects so the v18 plus some effects like maybe delay, chorus and wah and that would be a great set up. I think you might need the V33 for the effects loop.
Quote by jarudy
I would highly suggest playing and testing a valvetronix Vox. I really like them especially the 30 watt version. Other people here may not like them calling a hybrid "a marketing scheme" but tube clipping is present in this amp. Try it first to see if you like it.

The valvetronix Vox looks really good. I'll definitely look into that amp next time I go to GC.

Anyone have thoughts on the Peavey VYPYR? It looks pretty ace for what I'm looking for. Although the sanpera 2 foot pedal is $180 which is a ton considering I'd have to buy a 300 dollar amp already to be able to use it. (I'm on a limited budget, lol)
yeah, the pedal is expensive.

here is good info in the Vypyr thread not too far back.

may be some construction issues....as there usually are will lower end amps. They often get worked out.

some love the tone and versatility it brings.

go to GC and try this, Valvetronix, Cubes, SuperChamp if they have one, other stuff as mentioned above. Also check thru the peavey forums on peaveyamps.com or whatever.

Craigslist is worth a look too.
Quote by Highwaytohell
please be joking.

Yeah, i'm not jkin even by the slightest crate gives off such a clean sound it doesnt have any tubes which i f@cking love. The distortion on them are amazing they usually have a few built in effects not to many, so shit doesnt get to complicated. Also there pretty damn cheap and freaking amazing :P