Page 1 of 2
well like title says reccommend unknow but good bands with great bass players

my list:

Riverside (Poland), Bass player: Mariuz Duda,Genre: Prog Rock, Album: Out of Myself

Lite (Japan), Bass player: Jun Izawa, Genre: Math rock, Post Rock, Album: Phantasia

Don Caballero ( USA), Bass Player: Eric Emm, Genre: Math Rock, Album: American Don

To Be A High Powered Executive (Usa), Bass player: idk the name XD, album: Pre-History and The Course Of The Empire, Genre: Math Rock, Post Rock
Last edited by thegiaco2112 at Oct 9, 2008,
Blur is pretty well known, but nobody really talks about Alex James..... amazing bassist!

As far as unknown bands, I usually don't waste too much time digging for obscure indie bands that haven't dug their own way out of the crap heap, usually for good reason.

A semi-well-known band that features AMAZING bass players is Cake. Particularly Victor Damiani. Another (verging into heavier things) is Liam Wilson from Dillinger Escape Plan. Everyone knows the Deftones, but I really don't hear much about Chi Cheng's greatness.... Same with Blind Melon's Brad Smith.

I could go on and on like this.... Manuel Carrero from Glassjaw, Eric Avery's work with Polar Bear, Paul Hinojos with At the Drive In....

Yeah, all semi-well-known bands, but I never hear anyone discuss these bassists!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Oct 9, 2008,
The guy from the Gazette (Japan - metal/hard rock/punk/ a whole bunch of shit) is pretty solid. Nothing flashy but a damn good bassist in a damn good band.

My personal favorite, although they're well known, is Ryan from Mudvayne.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Greg Jehanian from American Indie band mewithoutYou. mewithoutYou has always had a good bassist and Greg Jehanian is the most recent one they had. The one who played on [A-->B] Life was great, too, but his name escapes me.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by mountaindew88
A semi-well-known band that features AMAZING bass players is Cake.

God their bassist is amazing. Listen to their cover of I Will Survive. It's not that hard, but damn is it a fun bass line to play.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I don't think too many people know Dave Nooks from The Wesley Willis Fiasco, but then again, listening to The Wesley Willis Fiasco for the bass lines is really beside the point. However, if you were to give it a listen, you'd find that there's actually some great lines in those songs.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Bob Sheehan from Blues Traveller was amazing.

As was Mick Grohndal with Jeff Buckley.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by mountaindew88
Bob Sheehan from Blues Traveller was amazing.

I prefer him in Talas, m'self.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
*waits for idiots who never use capitals or punctuation (and neither am I) to point out that I'm wrong*
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
*waits for idiots who never use capitals or punctuation (and neither am I) to point out that I'm wrong*

wut? ur stoopid fitz. he was bestest with Led Zeppelin.

that was him, rite?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Brian Robinson of A Wilhelm Scream, phenomanal bassist.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Mick Karn of Japan. They got lumped in with the whole art rock scene, but Karn has one of the most distinctive fretless styles I've ever heard. Its loop-y and swooping and very much like human singing.

Steve Willett of Strange Boutique. Strange Boutique tends to get a little too much sounding like the Banshees at times, but Willett's use of the eBow gave the harDCore / goth band a very distinctive droning bass sound.
Chris Wood of Medeski Martin and Wood. Is a god in my eyes he is defentily in my top 3.
Reed Mathis from Tea Leaf Green is a awsome bassist and a awsome guitarist too.
And hes kind of known but Mike Gordon of Phish is a monster in the jam. Theres very few that are better than him.
Dorian Sutton of an instrumental folk band Sheelanagig is great. Comes from Cardiff too. i went to see them live outside the Millennium Centre, their stage prescence was amazing! Jumping all over the stage, but still playing the songs without a single mistake. A great band, if your ever around Cardiff and they're playing, it's a must see.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fudger
Chris Wood of Medeski Martin and Wood. Is a god in my eyes he is defentily in my top 3.
Reed Mathis from Tea Leaf Green is a awsome bassist and a awsome guitarist too.
And hes kind of known but Mike Gordon of Phish is a monster in the jam. Theres very few that are better than him.

I actually met Chris Wood once, at an airport in Charlotte, NC!
^And is he as funny in person as he is on his TV show, Late Night with Conan O'Brien?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by IndianRockStar
Misha Rosolak of the Damn Dirty Grapes. They're not that famous, but that guy is good.

his tone is crap though.

I really don't know many unknown bands
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by CNC-Digity
Brian Robinson of A Wilhelm Scream, phenomanal bassist.

/thread
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Quote by mountaindew88
Blur is pretty well known, but nobody really talks about Alex James..... amazing bassist!

As far as unknown bands, I usually don't waste too much time digging for obscure indie bands that haven't dug their own way out of the crap heap, usually for good reason.

A semi-well-known band that features AMAZING bass players is Cake. Particularly Victor Damiani. Another (verging into heavier things) is Liam Wilson from Dillinger Escape Plan. Everyone knows the Deftones, but I really don't hear much about Chi Cheng's greatness.... Same with Blind Melon's Brad Smith.

I could go on and on like this.... Manuel Carrero from Glassjaw, Eric Avery's work with Polar Bear, Paul Hinojos with At the Drive In....

Yeah, all semi-well-known bands, but I never hear anyone discuss these bassists!

Same goes with bedouin soundclash i bet not many people have heard of Eon Sinclair but hes a good player.
These bands might not be unknown to most of the metal listeners, but Sean Malone from Cynic and Gordian Knot, Roger Patterson and Tony Choy from Atheist, the guy from Sleep Terror, Pasi Kärkkäinen from Aberrant Vascular, and Chris Djuricic from November's Doom isn't bad either.
Quote by Haanz
/thread

How is that /thread?

Hmm, I can't think of many 'unknown' bands.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by IndianRockStar
Misha Rosolak of the Damn Dirty Grapes. They're not that famous, but that guy is good.

Gotta love this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7RN6KgwEVo

Also if you look in the BPOTM the t-shirt the bassist is wearing (and the bassist) will be seen, just go to a few posts below (like 4/5 posts below to be near exact).
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Crass.

They are an anarcho/experimetal punk band from the late 70s/early 80s. The bassist is called Pete Wright and he is the most talented punk bassist I've ever heard.

His lines almost sound like they are pogo-ing and ping ponging off the walls.

I used to think that punk bass sucked becasue it was all roots. The Feeding Of 5000 (their first album) changed my mind in that.
The guy from the damn dirty grapes sucks cause he can't sing "I wanna beat her at her home game" . Instead it sounds like "I wanna be at her home game" ZOMG.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Jason Black from Hot Water Music is a pretty good bassist with some cool basslines. THe band might not be for everyone, though.
Umphrey's McGee has an amazing bass player. Ryan Stasik, he can lock in with a drummer better than most.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by Bathory fan
Crass.

They are an anarcho/experimetal punk band from the late 70s/early 80s. The bassist is called Pete Wright and he is the most talented punk bassist I've ever heard.

His lines almost sound like they are pogo-ing and ping ponging off the walls.

I used to think that punk bass sucked becasue it was all roots. The Feeding Of 5000 (their first album) changed my mind in that.

I always thought that crass was fairly well known...
You're right though, the first album was pretty good. Not like bad religion's bassist but the two styles are completely different.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
SWEET LORAINNEEEEEEEE!!!!
Let the party carry on
You and I will swim the sea
Let the party carry on
You and I can feel the breeze!

Sorry I had a bad 1970s flashback there. Uriah Heep had more bass players that Spinal Tap had drummers. Even John "I've played with more prog bands than you have fingers and toes" Whetton did a stint with them. Trevor Bolder and Paul Newton were the ones that had the longest stints with the band.
Quote by anarkee
Let the party carry on
You and I will swim the sea
Let the party carry on
You and I can feel the breeze!

Sorry I had a bad 1970s flashback there. Uriah Heep had more bass players that Spinal Tap had drummers. Even John "I've played with more prog bands than you have fingers and toes" Whetton did a stint with them. Trevor Bolder and Paul Newton were the ones that had the longest stints with the band.

thats Right Sweet Lorraine its a great song but I love July Morning
Chris Huffman from Casting Crowns is a very solid bassist, and his style is almost exactly like mine.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Ryker24
Atomic Bitchwax anyone?
Yes please! Awesome band
Page 1 of 2