Poll: Which of the following amps is best suited for metal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which of the following amps is best suited for metal?
Peavey VK 100 (tube head)
5 19%
B-52 AT-100 (tube head)
3 11%
Bugera 6260 (tube head)
11 41%
Randall RX120DHS (solid state head/my current amp)
8 30%
Voters: 27.
Which one is best for old school death metal and thrash metal like Death, Morbid Angel, Pestilence, Morgoth, Atheist, Obituary, Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, etc.? I have a Randall RX120DHS currently and I want to upgrade to a tube amp but I know Randall's have good distortion and I don't want to pay a bunch of money for an amp that has crappier distortion then my current amp.
i own a valveking.. on its own it doesnt do metal im force to use a pedal for my metal needs.
idk
ive tried both the valve king and b-52 and their both great, had way more overdrive then ill ever need, but i dont play death metal. Maybe use a stomp box to drive it harder if it doesnt go hard enough?
Quote by tehREALcaptain
idk
ive tried both the valve king and b-52 and their both great, had way more overdrive then ill ever need, but i dont play death metal. Maybe use a stomp box to drive it harder if it doesnt go hard enough?

meh, I could but I really hate using pedals.. I prefer stock distortion... I don't need insane distortion like some of these modern death metal/deathcore/metalcore bands either... I hate that generic scooped mid/too much gain sound... I like older death metal and progressive metal like Opeth, Atheist, Cynic, and Death.
Opeth use Laney's with Boss Pedals as boosts and effects, not very stock if you'd ask me.
Try boosting your Randall with a Tubescreamer gain set really low and crank the level on it and set the tone to where-ever you want it to be, they really make a differance IMO.
His Randall is a SS head. Adding an OD would not help much at all.

Of those amps you listed, the Bugera would be #1, then maybe the B-52 if its a new model with the problems fixed, then #3 the VK
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"