Ok, I've been playing for 3 years now, finally have a nice guitar, and I'm about ready to upgrade on amps. I've been using a 75 w spider 3 (yes, I know spiders aren't that great, but I got it for next to nothing) and I'm ready to go to the next step for equipment. I intend to do some recording and gigging, so I need something of a pretty decent quality, but I can't get a full Marshall stack or anything (I live in a relatively small room, could work a half stack probably, so nothing 8 feet high, K). I'm really not sure if I should go with a tube since I'll probably end using this new amp all the time, and I've always heard tubes aren't good until you get to higer volumes, correct me if I'm wrong or if that can be worked around, I'm limited on equipment knowledge.

Budget: I can probably work up to a 1000, so just kind of put things out that aren't to much more than that.

Genre: I primarily play hard rock metal (Protest the hero, Avenged sevenfold, Dethklok) but I focus on the sweeping in metal and the more melodic parts of the genre, not so much on the heavier stuff, if that helps. Thanks everyone, your help is greatly appreciated
You're going to want a tube amp in your budget. High gain amps and just modern amps in general are meant to sound good at low volumes and better at high volumes, you'll have no problem with it sounding good at low volumes for you.

For $1000, I'd suggest:

Mesa DC-5/DC-10
Mesa F-50/F-100
Mesa Rect-O-Verb/Trem-O-Verb
Mesa Mark III
Peavey 5150/6505/5150 II/6505+
Peavey JSX
Peavey XXX
Hughes and Kettner TriAmp
Randall RM50/RM100

Head or Combo form will do for any of them (if it's available in combo). You're going to want to go used BTW, all those amps I listed in your price range are based off used prices
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 9, 2008,
Tubes are always good, except when you're replacing them. Mesa Boogie is really great, I think their Express series runs at about 1200$ (if you're in the US) for the 50 watt.. If you do end up going tube, realize that 40 watts of tube power is gonna be all you will ever need (probably would want less, especially if you want some extra drive from saturation) Marshalls are decent, their clean is usually sub-par. I'm really biased towards Fender (in a good way). I think if you have an awesome clean sound, you can always build on it. On the other hand, if you have a shit clean sound, not matter how many layers of effects you put on, it still won't sound great (usually, but it's not like this is a hard-fast rule) Fender Hot Rod Deluxe owns (I have it), but doesn't really sound like what you're looking for, so again I would suggest the Mesa Boogie Express series (the 50 watt has a 5 watt setting I think, good for practice at home) Hope I didn't ramble too much.

ALWAYS try out an amp if you're looking at one. Good luck in your search man. Remember, 70% of tone comes from your fingers, 20% amp, 10% guitar.. Haha.. I just made that up, but it's true Later
Quote by SylvaShredder
I would suggest the Mesa Boogie Express series (the 50 watt has a 5 watt setting I think, good for practice at home).

The Express series are pretty low gain and don't have anywhere enough gain as he needs for the stuff he plays.

If you're going to play metal, I would not in any circumstance, with a budget like the TS has, suggest using an amp made for clean tones and using a distortion pedal over it. The amp will not be voiced for metal and not give you anywhere as good of a tone as you would get from an amp that already has the gain for it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
You're going to want a tube amp in your budget. High gain amps and just modern amps in general are meant to sound good at low volumes and better at high volumes, you'll have no problem with it sounding good at low volumes for you.

For $1000, I'd suggest:

Mesa DC-5/DC-10
Mesa F-50/F-100
Mesa Rect-O-Verb/Trem-O-Verb
Mesa Mark III
Peavey 5150/6505/5150 II/6505+
Peavey JSX
Peavey XXX
Hughes and Kettner TriAmp
Randall RM50/RM100

Head or Combo form will do for any of them (if it's available in combo). You're going to want to go used BTW, all those amps I listed in your price range are based off used prices

This man knows his shit like a pimp knows his hoes cheeks

+100
wow, this is excellent, I already have a good list to check out at guitar center and other places, I really appreciate it!
Quote by Highwaytohell
This man knows his shit like a pimp knows his hoes cheeks

+100

I'm totally sigging that if it'll let me
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com