Hey, as the title says, i am looking for some opinions on the Epiphone SG G-400. I am looking to buying one, its $350. I am into playing rock,metal,punk, and some clean shit. I have played the guitar a few times and it seems nice but i didnt play long enough to play around with it. Any opinions or inside pointers on why or why i shouldn't buy this guitar? Any serious replies are a help. Thanks.

Here is the link to the guitar:

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=24&CollectionID=16
My friend has it and loves it. To him, it was a big setup from a Strat-copy. I've only play it once and I was really surprised with the overall quality and comfort compared to the Gibson SG my father's friend has.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
ya ive got a beginners squire strat pack guitar right now so i really need an upgrade lol
Very good guitar, pick ups are a little muddy. You might want to also take a look at Agile Al-3000/3100's
Played a mates a few days ago, really impressed, sounded quite nice, it did tend to get a bit muddy, like CLIFF said, but overall its a solid guitar, despite having the most horrendous and annoying neck dive
I just bought one actually, I upgraded from my les paul special 2. Its a great guitar. The four knob setup makes it very versatile and the pickups give a nice warm sounding. It does go muddy a litte sometimes, but its realyl worth it. Its a little neck heavy too, but you can fix that with a leather strap so it don't slide. Beautiful finish, lightweight for the most part, cant really go wrong with one.
Cons: Neck heavy. Muddy pickups. Shit stock wiring.

Pros: Easy to fix said wiring, after which the tone range is much better, it is quieter, and it just sounds better. It has a very comfortable neck (personal). The neck satins up nicely with steel wool (very nicely in fact). For the price, it is brilliant.
Nice solid guitar.If it's what your after go for it.
But in my opinion.Save up some more money.My epi (see sig) is bassicaly a slighty better body,with Gibson pickups and slightly better electronics.It's definatly a good step up.Or maybe if it's not the guitar for you,get the G-400,save up a bit of money and eventually you can upgrade the pickups/electronics.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
They are great, i just needed another decent guitar and that was easily the best i could find for the money, it has a nice quality feel to it, esp with the neck thru, and with some new pickups and a good setup, it is a fantastic guitar, i love it
RG's & Mesa's
I've got one. It's a pretty damn good guitar, and yes the neck does dive but you get used to it after playing it a bit. Make sure you get straplocks though, because without them the strap does tend to pop off once in a while and you don't want the headstock cracking off in a neck dive.

The pickups do tend to get muddy and the wiring isn't that good, but replacing them both will make it sound WAY better than it does stock. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a cheap, good quality guitar.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
I own one and it's an amazing guitar, I kept it 100% stock (execpt the strings) because I don't know any better, and it sounds great. For the price, defently worth checking out. Best bang for your buck out there.

Also, the black finish is bad-ass :P
Gear :
Epiphone G400
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR
Peavey Vypyr 30.

Please excuse my lack of proper spelling and grammar, english isn't my first language.
I have the guitar and I really like it, great guitar, it feels right, plays nice etc. the highest frets are easily playable. the only thing you might want to replace after a while are the electronics.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Last edited by Farether at Oct 10, 2008,
They are a great SG style beginner guitar. Decent quality. Pickups are okay but I would replace them with aftermarket ones. the tuners are where it goes kinda down hill.

It is great for a beginner guitar, but when you get the cash, I would upgrade to the standard Gibson SG if you like the SG style body. at like $700 it can't be beat
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
They are a great SG style beginner guitar. Decent quality. Pickups are okay but I would replace them with aftermarket ones. the tuners are where it goes kinda down hill.

It is great for a beginner guitar, but when you get the cash, I would upgrade to the standard Gibson SG if you like the SG style body. at like $700 it can't be beat

Maybe I just got lucky with mine but for some reason, the tunners (grovers) are great, Some times, even if I play the shit out of my guitar, it stays in tune for days.
Gear :
Epiphone G400
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR
Peavey Vypyr 30.

Please excuse my lack of proper spelling and grammar, english isn't my first language.
Quote by Ghold125
Very good guitar, pick ups are a little muddy. You might want to also take a look at Agile Al-3000/3100's

+1. I had a G400 SG I picked up 4 or 5 years ago in a pawn shop for $175 USD. It was gigworthy but yes, the pickups were a bit muddy. Mine was a MIK model, I believe now the current production is in China, but don't know to what extent (if any) that change has resulted in any change to the product.

In my case, I only kept my Epi SG for a short while. That was because not long after I bought it, Agile did a redesign of their Valkyrie (SG-type) II model, and Rondo sold off the remaining guitars of the old design for only $99 USD (plus shipping). That price was way too good to pass up, and unlike Epi, Agile offered an SG-type guitar with P-90's. So I figured I could buy the Agile, and keep whichever SG I liked more. Here's the Agile I bought:

I preferred the P-90's in the Agile, so I sold the Epi.
Quote by JusticeJanitor
Maybe I just got lucky with mine but for some reason, the tunners (grovers) are great, Some times, even if I play the shit out of my guitar, it stays in tune for days.

^This, I own one, and the tuners really are awesome. You can do pretty much anything to the guitar, and even if you ever do need to tune it, it's only the tiniest bit.

My only complaint is the electronics. My input jack came loose in the body a few months ago, and it spun around so much it became disconnected. So that sucked.

Currently, the same thing has happened to the volume knob for my neck pickup, and although it's been loose basically ever since I got it, the wires finally got so messed up that I can't hear my neck pickup now. So I guess permanent kill switching for me until I get it fixed. It really sucks, because having to play everything through my bridge pickup makes everything sounds too twangy.

Other than the electronics, everything else is really awesome. Any pictures you see online make it look really crappy, but it's actually got a really gorgeous finish. the neck plays well, and the tune-o-matic bridge makes adjusting the action ridiculously easy.

TL;DR: Bad electronics, everything else is awesome.
Quote by Altoidwithmelon
Hambonicus, that was epic with a side of win

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

Proud member of the "I don't believe in global warming clan".
Dude, seriously, I made the mistake of buying an Epi g-400 custom shop model, and it still isn't that great of a guitar. Look at the Gibson Melody Maker Dual pickup, it's only $400, and it's made in America GIBSON!!! Plays, sounds and looks awesome. I wish that's what I had bought.
The G-400 I played was Made in China, older MIK Epis were better. Or look at a Samick SG, same thing
Oh yeah i forgot about the crappy tuners, thats the only major problem with a g400, they must be replaced. I changed them out for some gotoh's that are much much better. Once u do a few small mods to them they are very nice. Mine has EMG's, gotoh tuners and a bone nut and it is quite a nice all round guitar
RG's & Mesa's
I have one and I really like it.

But what about the electronics is bad? I don't have much experience in that department and I'm now curious on what is wrong and what generally needs to be done with them?
Quote by wannaberocker19
Dude, seriously, I made the mistake of buying an Epi g-400 custom shop model, and it still isn't that great of a guitar. Look at the Gibson Melody Maker Dual pickup, it's only $400, and it's made in America GIBSON!!! Plays, sounds and looks awesome. I wish that's what I had bought.

no
just because it says gibson on the headstock doesnt mean it is good
the g-400 is a great guitar especially for modding so over time you well get an exellent guitar by modding it when you want an upgrade
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
I actually just bought one about 3 days ago. I am loving the hell out of it. It as handled all of the music I have played pretty well. I play a lot of Atreyu, silverstein, Seether, Bullet for my valentine, some other cleaner stuff like trapt, and it does great.

I would definately reccomend it.