Hey UG. Why is it when I tap a note on my acoustic it rings out as a very discordant harmony and the dominant note isn't what I tapped?

Is it because my acoustic is cheap or...?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Are you muting the string behind your finger? It could be the note between your finger and the nut that is ringing out.
Quote by blue_strat
Are you muting the string behind your finger? It could be the note between your finger and the nut that is ringing out.

Oh wow... just tried that and it worked! I didn't know you had to do that on an acoustic, 'cause on either of my electrics that doesn't happen.

Thanks.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
This happens with all acoustic guitars. It's because the string in front, and behind of the tapped string ring out. To eliminate the ringing, hold down the back of the string with your other fingers.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Moreover, it doesn't happen on your electric because the pickup doesn't pick up that part of the strings vibrations.
it doesnt happen on an electric because the pickups only pick up the vibration between your finger and the bridge. if there was one randomly on the neck behind your hand you would hear the other note too.

you can use the second note to your advantage if you figure what the note behind your finger will be. then its all about being creative
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Quote by Head BANGER 81
it doesnt happen on an electric because the pickups only pick up the vibration between your finger and the bridge. if there was one randomly on the neck behind your hand you would hear the other note too.

you can use the second note to your advantage if you figure what the note behind your finger will be. then its all about being creative

But the thing is, I'm trying to play Drifting, so I really don't need any harmonies at the moment... appreciate the advice from all, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D