the last time i remember hearing about it was like early 2007. did they stop doing it?
if they did thats a shame. not very often you get the opportunity to see 3 amazing guitarists in one show.

their websites horribly out of date too,
http://www.satriani.com/G3/
Joe Satriani doesn't need the internet. He gets his aliens to telekinetically spread the word.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Thank God if it finally stopped.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Thank God if it finally stopped.

Why? It was amazing.
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
If you looked at the page you'd notice they've skipped years before. Satriani's had a busy year with his solo album, then tour, then Chickenfoot.

Hurr durr.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by cwotspot
I sometimes use it in Call of Duty 4.

It's not that great of a gun. Although if you put stopping power on it, it's usually a one hit kill. At least in hardcore it is.
Quote by Lordbob
Why? It was amazing.

It's yawn-mazing.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
It's yawn-mazing.

Partly agree.

I enjoy the musicians who appear, but it's started to become the Joe & Steve show. I can understand Satch being on all of them, because it's his thing, but couldn't we have Steve Morse, or Kiko Loureiro on there instead of Steve Vai all the time?
Quote by Minkaro
Partly agree.

I enjoy the musicians who appear, but it's started to become the Joe & Steve show. I can understand Satch being on all of them, because it's his thing, but couldn't we have Steve Morse, or Kiko Loureiro on there instead of Steve Vai all the time?

But Steve Vai is Satch's human counterpart that keeps him in line. If they took him out, who knows what kind of shenanigans Satch will get into?
Quote by Minkaro
Partly agree.

I also do not like Steve Vai, but that doesn't mean the whole thing should be cancelled. I think they should just replace Vai with Paul Gilbert.
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
2007 had Petrucci and Gilbert instead of Vai and some other dude.

I wish I had my current taste in music back then...

EDIT: Beat me to it, Avedas
Also, 2007's lineup consisted of my three favorite guitarists
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Quote by Athetosis
2007 had Petrucci and Gilbert instead of Vai and some other dude.

I wish I had my current taste in music back then...

*sigh* Same here...
I'm pretty sure that Petrucci's been on the tour more times than Vai. I'll just double check.

EDIT: I was wrong, Vai's been on it 8 times, Petrucci only 6.
Still, 8/12 is hardly every single time, although two of them were the first two.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Last edited by dann_blood at Oct 10, 2008,
^Satch and Vai are usually considered the main guys and the third is considered the "guest", which is why people say Petrucci has been the most invited guest.
Quote by Minkaro
It'd be nice if they tried to have different styles of guitarists on there. Like make the third guy Andy Mckee, or something.

With all due respect, that'd be atrocious. I've got nothing against Andy McKee or his playing style, but it's just not what G3 is about.

Honestly, what I want to see is Allan Holdsworth up there (I don't know if that's been done before or not, it's bloody hard to find any info about previous years' G3 concerts).

EDIT: Nevermind, found the Wikipedia article; it hasn't been done.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

Last edited by Athetosis at Oct 10, 2008,
Aurgh. I missed Summer Slaughter, Prog nation, and now I'm going to miss G3 forever? Some of the greatest guitarists on earth joining their forces together to align the universe and save our dimensions from collapsing onto each other? :O
Quote by Minkaro
It'd be nice if they tried to have different styles of guitarists on there. Like make the third guy Andy Mckee, or something.

Well all of the guitarists have fairly different styles of instrumentals. Imo it's just amazing to see them.
When I saw Satriani he just did everything with such ease, he was just up there enjoying himself. A few months before I saw Gilbert at this tiny little show in my local music store with 100 people, and he went through and explained how he came up with his song ideas, and it just seemed as though he was an ordinary guitarist. He even asked for the store lights to be turned on because he didn't like the stage lights.
Maybe it's just me, but I can clearly define the different styles with each guitarist and tones and dynamics and writing style.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by dann_blood
Well all of the guitarists have fairly different styles of instrumentals. Imo it's just amazing to see them.
When I saw Satriani he just did everything with such ease, he was just up there enjoying himself. A few months before I saw Gilbert at this tiny little show in my local music store with 100 people, and he went through and explained how he came up with his song ideas, and it just seemed as though he was an ordinary guitarist. He even asked for the store lights to be turned on because he didn't like the stage lights.
Maybe it's just me, but I can clearly define the different styles with each guitarist and tones and dynamics and writing style.

Well, I'm not saying that I'll listen to a Satch song, and sit there thinking "who's this?" There's an obvious difference between the guitarists styles, like you say. My point was that it'd be nice to see a guy who is even more different.

Mind you, you've got so many great guitarists out there, it's tough to narrow it down to three guys. If, say, Elias Viljanen is added, then who goes? Petrucci? Vai? I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO CHOOSE.

What we need is a massive festival of guitarists.
I don't get why people are whining about it being a Satch/Vai show, Vai wasn't even there last time it came around. Also the G3 doesn't need stopping power to be a one hit kill in hardcore. Nor would it be a one hit kill in normal modes. Come on noobs, learn your facts before saying things (this applies to noobs who thought they should drop Vai too).
Quote by GerGuam
I don't get why people are whining about it being a Satch/Vai show, Vai wasn't even there last time it came around. Also the G3 doesn't need stopping power to be a one hit kill in hardcore. Nor would it be a one hit kill in normal modes. Come on noobs, learn your facts before saying things (this applies to noobs who thought they should drop Vai too).

Well, 8/12 (according to some post above me) is a pretty good amount for Vai to have been there, though Vai and Satriani are pretty good buddies from what I've seen. It makes sense that he's "always" there.

Also, that second sentence confused the heck out of me until I realized you switched subjects to CoD4. I had to read it three times before it came to me.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

Quote by Athetosis
Well, 8/12 (according to some post above me) is a pretty good amount for Vai to have been there, though Vai and Satriani are pretty good buddies from what I've seen. It makes sense that he's "always" there.

Also, that second sentence confused the heck out of me until I realized you switched subjects to CoD4. I had to read it three times before it came to me.

I was mostly referring to the people on page 1 saying they should replace Vai with someone else (PAUL GILBERT) because it already happened.
Quote by Minkaro
Well, I'm not saying that I'll listen to a Satch song, and sit there thinking "who's this?" There's an obvious difference between the guitarists styles, like you say. My point was that it'd be nice to see a guy who is even more different.

Mind you, you've got so many great guitarists out there, it's tough to narrow it down to three guys. If, say, Elias Viljanen is added, then who goes? Petrucci? Vai? I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO CHOOSE.

What we need is a massive festival of guitarists.

What, like Buckethead? It'd be great to have someone different, but I mean, look at who theyve had on. Yngwie, who has a neo-classical approach to his music, Paul Gilbert, who has a really aggressive rock approach to his music, Petrucci has a real progressive approach, Johnson has a real bluesy approach, etc.
If there were any guitarists I would like to see tour who've shown up in recent times, it'd be Matt Heafy, Gus G and Matt Bellamy. Unless that's the point you're trying to get at.
Quote by Vornik