OK once again im stuck on my physics homework... my teacher doesnt understand that her job is for us to learn...neway...

A common flea can jump a distance of 33 cm. Suppose a flea makes five jumps of this length in the northwest direction. If the flea's northward displacement is 88 cm, what is the flea's westward displacement?
Yeah on that one i dont know how to set it up...

A south-African sharp-nosed frog set a record for a triple jump by traveling a distance of 10.3m. Suppose the frog starts from the origin of a coordinate system and lands at a point whose corrdinate on the y-axis is equal to -6.10m. What angle does the vector of displacement make with the negative y-axis? calculate the x compenent of the frog.
Ok i know how to get x and y if i know the angle and one side using trig functions....but i have no idea how to get the angle with 2 sides

I appreciate the help if anyone decides to!
Quote by Union Jake

So anyway, now i'm here feeling rather dirty knowing that I just sat in a room with 3 other guys having a wank. I had to get it off my chest
Quote by fenderfreak101
Youre mom should have used the coat hanger to abort you as a fetus.

Douche bag.
for the 1st one set it up like a triangle and the northwest is the hypotinuse, use pythagorian theorm
For an angle when you have two sides you use inverse trig functions.
We Rock With Our Cocks Out: UG Naked Club FTW!!

Quote by HeavenlyVirus
how many George Bushs does it take to fix the economy? -1
Yes.. this is basic geometry... this really has nothing to do with physics.

The second one, if I read it right... the y component is -6.1m and the hypo is 10.3 . So you would use the SOH CAH TOA idea to figure out the angle to figure out the x component

If you are having trouble with these type of questions, I recommend you see a tutor to help you understand this concept. It is used all the time through-out physics and mathematics.
Last edited by Silentlassassin at Oct 10, 2008,
for the second one use trig functions to find the angle... Soh(sine=opposite/hypotinuse) Cah(cosine=adjacent/hypotinuse) Toa(tangent=opposite/adjacent)... and remember that one angle is 90 degrees
Yeah if you have the hypotenuse and the y side, you can figure out the angle. What trig function involves the adjacent and the hypotenuse? Cosine. So you use the inverse cosine.
We Rock With Our Cocks Out: UG Naked Club FTW!!

Quote by HeavenlyVirus
how many George Bushs does it take to fix the economy? -1
Quote by Cato_60
OK once again im stuck on my physics homework... my teacher doesnt understand that her job is for us to learn...neway...
!

The teachers job is to teach, whether you learn or not is your problem. Maybe its not the teacher who sucks.........maybe its.........NEWAY
Quote by Pageles
The teachers job is to teach, whether you learn or not is your problem. Maybe its not the teacher who sucks.........maybe its.........NEWAY
no her job is to talk circles around your questions and never give an answer...thats her teaching methods...
Quote by Union Jake

So anyway, now i'm here feeling rather dirty knowing that I just sat in a room with 3 other guys having a wank. I had to get it off my chest
Quote by fenderfreak101
Youre mom should have used the coat hanger to abort you as a fetus.

Douche bag.