hey guys....what inspiration have you used, or what has insired some of your/your bands songs? Lyrics wise that is. I write, and I seem to have hit a little block, so I'm hoping this wil help. I generally try keep an eye out in the news and stuff, but just wondering if you guys gain inspiration from different places.

I'm yet to have one of those random hit song moments where i see a street sign and have an epiphony over a perfect chorus or something...

Also, on a sidenote...how do you approach a song first? Musically or lyrically? And do you sit and fiddle, then work out what happened when writing riffs/hooks or do you designate a key and know exactly what your doing?

Thanks guys/girls
Mal: "Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears." FIREFLY RULES!!!
hmmm, I just listen to some awesome guitarist, Clapton, Hendrix, you know; the usual's. As for song writing, I start with a riff/chord progression. Then build a melody by humming or scatting or what not, then lyrics
It's all very spontaneous for me usually... Rarely do I sit down with an idea in my head and work it out, because it's usually just working on my technique that I come up with stuff. Or theory practice, or something like that, and just applying that to the guitar.

A couple of things you can do to write music is playing something on a different instrument, breaking it down, and then approaching it on the guitar. Piano works especially well for this, but so does bass if you don't know what the **** you're doing...

Also branch into different styles. That's another sure-fire way to get inspired to do something...

Watch the podcasts to Joe Satriani's new album. He does a song-by-song breakdown that is brilliant. Even if you don't like him, he draws inspiration and looks at things in so many different ways to approach a new song. Here's one of them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73ZmjxGRI4A
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
In alphabetical order:

Relationships
Personal situations
Poetry
Nature
News
TV Shows
Visual Art
Movies
Music

Sometimes I write music first, sometimes lyrics. Sometimes I sit and fiddle, sometimes I pick a key and know exactly what I'm doing.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Last edited by Ænimus Prime at Oct 10, 2008,
I get inspirations from watching people interact, which can give some nice lyrical ideas. Also from the news and the state of society, and obviously my emotions and books.

The inspiration for writing music usually comes from listening to...anything. Sometimes it can be other bands, but a month ago the rain was pouring down, I tried (to a level that I'm happy with) to recreate that atmosphere and ambience on Guitar Pro to use in a song.
Thanks for the input guys, its interesting to see how different people approach making music. It seems that everyone does it differently and you just need to find your way and style.

This brings me to another, entirely different question... When I write, the style of the song is often close to and inspired by a particular song I was listening to or band or album. So when I am writing, or trying to write music for lyrics just from something random and me, I get this kindof, ok will this be Living endish, or coldplayish? Or chillis influenced, or queen influenced? I tend to finds its easier doing that, but it makes me nervous that maybe I will never have my own style..

Should I just go for it and stop worrying my song is to "whiney pop punk or emo or whatever (its put me off quite a few ideas ive had) or just practice songwriting and i;ll eventually be ably to do what I want? How where the first songs for you guys? Where thy good straight away or is it always bad at the start?
Mal: "Doctor, I'm taking your sister under my protection here. If anything happens to her, anything at all, I swear to you, I will get very choked up. Honestly, there could be tears." FIREFLY RULES!!!
Last edited by Imafrog at Oct 10, 2008,
So when I am writing, or trying to write music for lyrics just from something random and me, I get this kindof, ok will this be Living endish, or coldplayish? Or chillis influenced, or queen influenced? I tend to finds its easier doing that, but it makes me nervous that maybe I will never have my own style..
Your style is a mixture of your influences and of course yourself. It's good to think about what you're putting into the mixing pot.
Should I just go for it and stop worrying my song is to "whiney pop punk or emo or whatever (its put me off quite a few ideas ive had)
If that's what comes naturally, go for it. If you force yourself to conform to some genre/style it will probably come across as false. Be honest.
practice songwriting
Hit the nail on the head here.

How where the first songs for you guys?
Shithouse
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Your first few songs are something special. It's not because they're anything spectacular (if they are, I think it's probably a bit more luck than skill), but it's a great feeling. I don't care how many songs you learn how to play, sitting there and creating something, and then having your full song... When you record something that you've written, and you hear it, it's just the coolest thing in the world. Songwriting -- and recording, for that matter -- are such a process. That's the coolest feeling in the world, when you've finished writing something.

When you say, "Okay, this sounds kinda like something the Chilis would've done," or "this is very Pink Floyd-ish," it's just what you associate something with. I associate Jet with AC/DC, because they have a pretty similar sound on "Are You Gonna Be My Girl." There's nothing wrong with your influences showing up in your music. If you start sounding just like one band, then there's a problem. But part of the beauty of music is the culmination of a lot of different things coming together.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)