just confused about unforgiven 3 (iii)

set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure...

is that the best we can come up with?!

i mean, as far as metal goes, you hear very few songs singing about pirates....wonder if orlando bloom had a say in this one

i love metallica, and i love the unforgiven trilogy..but come on...how many people relate to going on a boat trip looking for buried treasure on deserted islands..how does it relate to being unforgiven in your own eyes? "i cant forgive myself for sailing north <<how come it got so cold>> in hopes of golden treasure, rather than heading west, where i might have found something more worth my while""??

am i the only one who is feeling this way?
Quote by thedekker

am i the only one who is feeling this way?

yes just because u cant understand a metaphor doesnt mean we cant
Quote by darkstar2466
Leniency? In the metal forum? This is unheard of. People get massacred here for just walking by.
Quote by alwaysmetal
yes just because u cant understand a metaphor doesnt mean we cant

ok bud, tell me...what does that mean to you?
if u look really close into the lyrics you can see the miniature ninjas fighting those pirates over their booty.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Quote by thedekker

You seriously thought this song was about pirates? For god sakes its one of the most beautifully written songs in the metal genre if you understand what is really being said. Ofcourse its all about what the listener sees when they hear the song but in my opinion, this song is all about individualism and being different and fighting to be your own god damn person and to fight mediocrity. As someone who listens to metal im sure you arent one of the sheep listening to the pop charts right now so I'd think you would maybe understand what being different is all about and I'm sure almost every metal head on this forum has had to defend their preference in music to someone at some time or another. To me this is what the song is about, being different and fighting to be your own person. Two quick examples in unforgiven one.

"New blood joins this earth
And quikly he's subdued
Through constant pained disgrace
The young boy learns their rules

With time the child draws in
This whipping boy done wrong
Deprived of all his thoughts

The young man struggles on and on he's known
A vow unto his own
That never from this day
His will they'll take away"

Heavy reference to being oppressed and social isolation.

"How could he know this new dawn's light
Would change his life forever?
Set sail to sea but pulled off course
By the light of golden treasure

Was he the one causing pain
With his careless dreaming?

Been afraid, always afraid
Of the things he's feeling
He could just be gone
He would just sail on
He would just sail on"

The character in the song has escaped by this point and is now following his dreams but is confronted by the choices he made and whether his own ambitions have overtaken and hurt those around him and talks about drifting away from the original goals he was dreaming of.

This is just my own interpretation. I love the unforgiven III and is one of my favorite metal tracks ever. If you wanna hear pirates you will, if you wanna look for a depper meaning you will.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Oct 10, 2008,
Quote by thedekker

that is the beauty of the way Hetfeild crafts his lyrics. there like a well written riddle makes no sense but once u get it it looks so simple

i cant forgive myself for sailing north in hopes of golden treasure - i cant forgive myself for making the wrong choice/taking the wrong path searching for some sorta treasure wealth maybe

<<how come it got so cold>> - do i need to explain?

rather than heading west, where i might have found something more worth my while i should have taken a different path

well it could appear that its about selling out
metallica "sailed north" in search of money
but only found a cold response
perhaps they should have stuck with metal for its more worth while

lol ok chances r its not about that
but i haven't study lyrics in depth the awesome riffage always distracts me
Quote by darkstar2466
Leniency? In the metal forum? This is unheard of. People get massacred here for just walking by.
Quote by alwaysmetal
that is the beauty of the way Hetfeild crafts his lyrics. there like a well written riddle makes no sense but once u get it it looks so simple

i cant forgive myself for sailing north in hopes of golden treasure - i cant forgive myself for making the wrong choice/taking the wrong path searching for some sorta treasure wealth maybe

<<how come it got so cold>> - do i need to explain?

rather than heading west, where i might have found something more worth my while i should have taken a different path

well it could appear that its about selling out
metallica "sailed north" in search of money
but only found a cold response
perhaps they should have stuck with metal for its more worth while

lol ok chances r its not about that
but i haven't study lyrics in depth the awesome riffage always distracts me

No man thats a totally valid interpretation of the lyrics. Its what the song means to you and dont let anyone tell you its wrong.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
No man thats a totally valid interpretation of the lyrics. Its what the song means to you and dont let anyone tell you its wrong.

thnx
Quote by darkstar2466
Quote by Slanderous666
As someone who listens to metal im sure you arent one of the sheep listening to the pop charts right now so I'd think you would maybe understand what being different is all about and I'm sure almost every metal head on this forum has had to defend their preference in music to someone at some time or another. .

agreed

just didnt think it was the best analogy
Quote by thedekker
agreed

just didnt think it was the best analogy

I would have to agree it isnt the best analogy but its quite powerful when combined with the instrumental aspects of the song. Some decent dynamics, does a fairly good job.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
you are not fuckin 23 years old. i do NOT fuckin believe that. NO WAY
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Somehow I have a feeling that the thread starter is just taking a piss

I mean... how can one be otherwise so stupid?
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Anyone else care for Nekrogoblikon and the Goblin Pirates song?
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by hethamulburton
Anyone else care for Nekrogoblikon and the Goblin Pirates song?

YES!!! Nekrogoblikon kicks ass man. Goblin Metal FTW!!!!!!!!!
I knew I'd find a fan!
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Only Metallica Thread, guys.

Quote by Slanderous666
For god sakes its one of the most beautifully written songs in the metal genre if you understand what is really being said.

Listen to more metal kthxbai.