I'm putting My les Paul through company who will refinish it. It is currently Heritage cherry Sunburst and I'm going to Metalify it by adding some black hardware heavier pups etc. They charge extra to strip the guitar, will it make it look any different if they strip it first as opposed to just Painting over? Seems like It wouldnt considering the color I'm going to is Flat (Satin) Black. What do you think? Thanks!
My Setup:
Dean VMNT(Metallic Silver)
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

Sarcasm: Killing any chance you ever had at scoring this guitar, since 1895.

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!
you need to atleast get the clear coat off to refinish it.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Yeah, I know that part, They Charge extra to go all the way down to bare wood before starting to refinish. Striping the clearcoat is part of the process and included in the finishing
My Setup:
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!
Quote by metzguitarist
Yeah, I know that part, They Charge extra to go all the way down to bare wood before starting to refinish. Striping the clearcoat is part of the process and included in the finishing

oh, then i see no point in paying extra for them to take it down to the wood.
Quote by mikeyElite
oh, then i see no point in paying extra for them to take it down to the wood.

Yeah that's What I thought, The guy who was trying to sell it to me (Imagine This) Told me he thought it would make it look better. But im thinking I'm covering up a Trans Sunburst finish with flat black, what difference could that possibly make.
My Setup:
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!
Quote by metzguitarist
Yeah that's What I thought, The guy who was trying to sell it to me (Imagine This) Told me he thought it would make it look better. But im thinking I'm covering up a Trans Sunburst finish with flat black, what difference could that possibly make.

yeah i agree. hope it turns out sweet looking
Quote by mikeyElite
yeah i agree. hope it turns out sweet looking

Thanks!
My Setup:
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!
Anybody have differing opinions on this?
My Setup:
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!
??
My Setup:
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!
If they strip it down to bare wood, they don't have to go quite so heavy with the final finish coat - it can be a bit thinner, and will be much easier to get a good, even covering.

If they paint over the existing finish (minus clear coat of course), they'll have to basically make the final finish thicker, which runs the risk of more imperfections, and it'll take longer and be harder for them to get a perfectly smooth, even colour (yes, black is a colour) all over.

When you're talking about something as drastic as having your guitar refinished, it's not a good idea to skimp on anything. You get what you pay for, listen to the people who know what they're doing. You may want to save as much money as possible, but you also don't want to end up with a sub-par job. It's better to pay more now and get everything done perfectly the first time around than risk a dodgy job.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i can tell you right now that guitar will blow your mind, providing you put some decent quality pups in it, and it's set up properly.

matte black = guitar secks.

is it a gibby?
------

Shwiggity.
id have him strip it thicker finishes kill your tone
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
^lies.

really it's all in your amp, and pickups.

you can leave a guitar unfinished and play it through the same equipment and you're gonna get the same tone. The paint really won't make that much of a difference at all, if any.

but it'll look Hella sweet.
------

Shwiggity.
^ This.

What Mr. Flibble said as well.

Man, just out of curiosity, how much are they charging you for this refinish?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
is it a gibson or an epi/other knockoff?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
it's an epi classic, I've had since 05 which I believe is the year it was made can't remember right now. I'm putting some heavy duncans in it, not sure exactly what yet. For a complete strip and complete refinish plus a little extra sanding work on the headstock from a mark in the wood 440$ It's a place in Nashville TN called Southbound Customs

I realize some people would think it's smarter to put the money into a new guitar or something like that. But it was a gift, my first real electric and actually plays really well, despite all the epiphone dumping people do. I want to mod it, bring it up to date in terms of look's and sound. Get it to fit my personality and Playing Style. I'ts a guitar I'll never get rid of, So I might as well want to play the shit out of It
My Setup:
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!
Anything else anyone can tell me about this project?
My Setup:
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!