I want a new guitar and was thinking of buying a les paul(epiphone)
and I was wondering is the les paul easy to play fast on or is it more rytmic and stuff
Les Pauls are known for their thick necks...if you're not used to that type of thing or have small hands it could be difficult. But if you've ever heard of a little guy named Buckethead, he's known for shredding on LPs.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
zakk wylde anyone?
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickup
Epi Les Paul SH-2/SH-11
Fender Blues Jr.

Fender Jazz Bass w/ Badass II Bridge & Custom Shop '69 Pickups
Fender P-Bass w/ Basslines 1/4lb. pickup
Ibanez GSR200
Fender Bassman 150
I can shred on SG which has a simmilar (and in some cases the same) neck shape, it's actually easier for me that way because i have big hands.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i can do it

unfortunately, for me it sounds like crap, i have a les paul special II
60's necks shred like crazy. I've played on Limited Edition and 90's made classic reissues. . . My guitar is an ESP now though. . . and it has a thicker neck than the 60's fast neck. . . so yeah. For how I do with my ESP, it's not impossible regardless of thickness. Provided you don't have a tree in your hand.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
I use an epiphone les paul standard and compared to guitars like jacksons with a slim neck profile it feels like wrestling with a baseball bat when I shred. Its worth it though as it is a very versitile guitar.
"A Well Balanced Man Has A Beer In Each Hand."
if you get one with a 60's neck, then yea you'll have no problems at all.

a 60's neck on a Les Paul feels sort of like a Schecters neck if you've played one.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
For over 50 years now, Jazz players have been playing at ridiculous speeds on guitars with necks large and thick enough to lose your hands on.

If they can do it, anyone can.
I'd be worried less about the neck (though you should definately hold one first) and more about the pickups as far as shredding, assuming that means using very high distortion.

(Most) Gibsons/Epiphones I've owned or played had pretty mellow stock pickups and those can sound a bit muddy/bassy if you're doing fast legato with saturated distortion and really get on your nerves.

Of course there are LPs with shreddy pickups and a tad thinner necks out there, but if you're buying it specifically for shred, there are a ton of other options set up out of the box for it.
Why, neoclassical, if it is good enough for Cradle of Filth and Opeth, how could the stock pickups not be good enough?
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.

Matter of opinion like anything else when it comes to sound and tone. I just find it difficult myself to shred as cleanly with them compared with the usual "metal" pickup choices.

I've seen guys shred on telecasters plugged into bass amps but it probably wouldn't work for must of us. So I'm sure for some people Epiphones, which are all around pretty nice instruments, can work for heavy shred, but if hes specifically looking for *typical* shred tone there may be 'better' options.
Quote by sbikram
is what slash does called shredding???

He's not from that kind of school of music.
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
When it comes to shred tone Yngwie's tone sucks, but you don't see him slacking up.
Quote by paranoid joker

Quote by notsee
When it comes to shred tone Yngwie's tone sucks, but you don't see him slacking up.

Hey! Yngwie has a great tone when he plays slow
Quote by notsee

I think he has the best tone when it comes to shredding.
I like the Les Paul's neck as opposed to super thin necks. I can play smoother and faster on a thicker neck, as weird as it sounds..
Gibson Les Paul Studio(Wine Red)
Squier Vintage Modified Tele(White)
Eastwood Sidejack(Amber)
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro: Echo,Tremolo, Octave
Dunlop JH-1B Wah
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ 1x12 cab
Quote by dbzrage3k
Les Pauls are known for their thick necks...if you're not used to that type of thing or have small hands it could be difficult. But if you've ever heard of a little guy named Buckethead, he's known for shredding on LPs.

He's not exactly little when he's towering over you at 6'8...
Quote by dbzrage3k

LPs are supposed to have thick necks?
Then my Strat probably is a tree trunk...
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
LPs are supposed to have thick necks?
Then my Strat probably is a tree trunk...

Yes to most people who arent used to them they do. I picked up a gibson and it felt like holding a tree trunk to me. Course im used to wizard necks so thats probably it. I did find one strat neck that I kinda liked on an old Heavy Metal Strat that one of the teachers at the shop had.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
SG is better made for shredding than a Les Paul, being lighter. If you can get even an Epi with a 60's neck it will be best. Still not ideal for all the tricks but not bad by a long way.
Quote by Lurcher
SG is better made for shredding than a Les Paul, being lighter. If you can get even an Epi with a 60's neck it will be best. Still not ideal for all the tricks but not bad by a long way.

SGs are ****ing heavy.
Their neck is a weighted brick, LPs are much lighter, more comfy.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
SGs are ****ing heavy.
Their neck is a weighted brick, LPs are much lighter, more comfy.

That really surprises me!
Quote by Slaveaway
That really surprises me!

My SGs head dives and it is definatly more unbalanced/heavier than an LP
Here's an idea! Go to a music shop and play one... ! Hell, maybe you can even form your own opinions and preferences!
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál