It depends on the music you want to play.

Classical fingerpickers keep their fingers perpendicular to the strings, allowing small movements from the base of the finger to pluck the strings. This is really efficient, and probably best if you aren't playing some folksy styles.

Folksy fingerpickers sometimes use a technique called "chicken pickin'", where the player has curved fingers and plucks slightly upward, away from the body, for a strong pick attack. This is usually done with a strong alternating bass with the thumb. Check out Bruce Cockburn and Mark Knopfler's hand shape for this technique.
Try Anchoring your pinky. Just put your pinky where it is touching the guitar, and the other 3 fingers are for picking. It forces you to be in correct position.
Quote by Steve BP
It depends on the music you want to play.

Classical fingerpickers keep their fingers perpendicular to the strings, allowing small movements from the base of the finger to pluck the strings. This is really efficient, and probably best if you aren't playing some folksy styles.

Folksy fingerpickers sometimes use a technique called "chicken pickin'", where the player has curved fingers and plucks slightly upward, away from the body, for a strong pick attack. This is usually done with a strong alternating bass with the thumb. Check out Bruce Cockburn and Mark Knopfler's hand shape for this technique.

Alright thanks. If I'm doing the classical position, should I position my arm so my hands are perpendicular or should I bend my wrist a bit?
Go for the classical.... it's difficult but it's fast, accurate and deadly. You can have strong string attack or subtleties if you wish.

Try to keep your wrist straight and move your elbows as needed.

That said, I tried to learn the classical and it just didn't work for me. That doesn't prevent me from recommending any beginner to learn the proper technique.

My guitar teacher used to make me hold toothpicks in between my fingers while learning the classical technique as you're not supposed to open your fingers. Any unnecessary movement should be avoided to maximize speed and precision.
Last edited by Warpo at Oct 12, 2008,