I know it's a matter of taste but which one is good for a beginner who has never played an insturment. I'm used to the guitar sound but bass sounds kind of cool. I like metal,hard rock and was wondering which has easier learning curve.Also i will just be playing as a hobby and is the bass limited as to what i can do by myself. What about cost which is cheaper. Thanks
Well, metal and hard rock isn't exactly too...um, what's the word...productive on bass.
BUT, bands are always looking for bassists, so that's a plus.
But in the end, it's whatever just feels right.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
I'd say guitar is more difficult at first, but once you get good at it it's a pretty steady learning curve.

Bass is pretty easy to pick up from the beginning, but to be recognised as a good bassist you have to do a lot of work to become good.

However in terms of metal, the bass isn't likely to be very difficult (unless the riffs you have to copy are difficult or is you do what the guy from Mudvayne does and just go mental with jazz and funk basslines). It's really your choice.
It depends. Anyone that says bass is easy isn't challenging themselves. I think guitar has a lot more technical aspects to learn, but bass techniques are harder to perfect.
Bass is just as hard as playing guitar. If you were playing with a group of people, you'd know that having a good bassist is just as important as having a good guitarist. I can't say that either one is easier to learn though. If you're just looking to do it for a hobby at all times, I'd probably recommend guitar. To me, the guitar is funner to play then the bass when you're alone. Although I'm a guitar player, I like playing bass in a band just as much as the guitar, and bands are always looking for a bassist.

Neither one is really cheaper. For equipment, amps and the instruments themselves, they come out to be kind of even. I do think that some mid-range basses are great instruments, and there are fewer mid-ranged guitars that I feel are good quality. If you have a descent amount of money to spend, and you want to try bass, I'd recommend looking at the older Jacksons and the newer BC Rich's. As far as bass amps, there are many to choose from just like guitar, but I find the Ampeg combo's to be great for the price.

You wont find any curves learning either though, they both involve alot of practice, patience and hard work.

EDIT- For anybody that says bass is easy, take a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvQiXOYWydc
Quote by sparky3
I know it's a matter of taste but which one is good for a beginner who has never played an insturment. I'm used to the guitar sound but bass sounds kind of cool. I like metal,hard rock and was wondering which has easier learning curve.Also i will just be playing as a hobby and is the bass limited as to what i can do by myself. What about cost which is cheaper. Thanks

An elextric guitar and bass cost the same when your buying a beginners kit.
But i suggest guitar for you, bassists are hardly ever heard in rock, metal and heavy metal. Also for the fact that all us guitarists in this forum will diss u because your too lazy to play 6 strings, so you played 4, or 5 when you get a 5 string bass.

remember this when you think about it, whether its bass or not, its got its scales, and styles which are vital to its playing and you must learn sometime.
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
I think theory is a lot more important for playing bass than guitar. This will mean you'll be forced to learn it when playing bass, which makes it a hell of a lot easier to switch to another instrument if you ever want to.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Root note thumping beginner bass playingis maybe easier than beginner power chord guitar playing... it's iffy. Intermediate hold a steady rhythm and pay attention to voicing bass playing is considerably harder than intermediate guitar playing. Advanced techniques take an equal amount of time on both instruments. If you'd like to play both eventually, start with guitar as it's easier to learn the theory through chording/progressions/etc. that you will absolutely need to become a passable bass player.
go for drums o_o

Just kidding. I'm just saying that because I play guitar and now I'm really interested in drums although I'll never play them because I've made my choice as guitar already.

umm...if you're just doing it as a hobby I'd say guitar. I'm not saying either one is easier, but people are probably going to be more impressed by guitar. bands are going to be looking for a bass player more often than a guitarist, so if you're interested in ever joining a band then you're probably going to have better chances as a bassist. try listening to some music and find out what you catch yourself concentrating on the most. some songs have some really good basslines so listen for those. if you find yourself listening to noises the guitar makes then you'd probably be better off with guitar. like if you really anticipate a solo coming up in a song. or if you tend to listen to the beat and rhythm then consider bass or rhythm guitar. good luck.
I'd suggest trying both first.

Go to your local music shop and try a variety of different guitars/basses. See which feels better in your hands and sounds better to your ear. Deciding on an instrument is a pretty personal choice, it's somthing you ultimately have to decide for yourself.

Another option might be to save up, find a store with a generous return policy (30 days or some such), and try each for that period. Return it, get a refund, and use it to buy the other and try it (if that's an available option). Explain to the clerk that you're new to music and you'd like a chance to really find out which is best for you. They should be willing to help you out and give you some info while you're there.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play