Ok so I just got my brand new PRS SE custom guitar. However the stock pick-ups don't seem to good so I'm thinking of buying some replacements at some point.

Right now I'm looking at getting an EMG of some kind (maybe an 81 or an 85 cause Justin Beck from glassjaw uses them) and maybe a Seymour Duncan JB (both Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and Thomas Erak have used these).

Are these good choices? Can any recommend other pick-ups?

I play mainly hardcore/post-hardcore/alt-rock/progressive. Main influences are bands like glassjaw, blood brothers, ATDI, The Mars Volta, Taking Back Sunday, Opeth etc.

So yes, recommendations for pick-ups (preferably with links so I can see costs etc) and maybe where I should put them in the guitar (ie Bridge or neck position).

Thanks
Quote by blue_strat
Check out Swineshead and Bare Knuckle pickups.

What kind of sound do they give? Like good mids/bass/treble?
goto www.dimarzio.com
all the pickups have sound clips and explainations of the type of tone.
and yea, they'r super
Set up:-
Kustom Sound 40W Guitar Amp
Marshall MG15 CD
Zoom 707 II (surprisingly good..)
VOX Tonelab ST
Jackson DK2M (Seymour duncan TB4 and the SD jazz)
Quote by Shreddies_1990
I wouldn't get pickups that Thomas Erak used, as good as he is his tone is terrible IMO.

A lot of guitarists with great tone use the JB.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
What is it that you don't like about the tone currently and how would do you want it to change? Just saying they "don't seem too good" doesn't really help matters much.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ok to answer the questions:

I'm currently playing through a Peavey Valveking 112

And I just found the tone a bit weedy and I think it could be much better if I put better pick-ups in. I'm planning to do like a huge mod at some point and change the speakers/valves on my amp, I thought I may as well mod my guitar a bit as well at the same time.

I mean has anyone got any experience with the PRS SE custom? Is it easy to change the pick-ups on?
Again, "a bit weedy" doesn't say anything - you need to describe some of the characteristics of the tone, what you don't like, why you don't like it and how you'd like it to change.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Again, "a bit weedy" doesn't say anything - you need to describe some of the characteristics of the tone, what you don't like, why you don't like it and how you'd like it to change.

Ok well I'd like it to have a stronger bass and mids response while still keeping a clear trebley tone (I hate when it seems you can only have one of the other - there's no balance). I'd also likely to generally just thicken the tone out and make it a bit stronger and thicker.
the gfs mean 90 will give you something similar to what you're looking for. quite bassy and thick, likes a lot of mids, and its cheap
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Does the guitar feel nice and whats the action like? I'm seriously considering getting an SE Custom. Also have a look at the DiMarzio website.
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
Ok well I'd like it to have a stronger bass and mids response while still keeping a clear trebley tone (I hate when it seems you can only have one of the other - there's no balance). I'd also likely to generally just thicken the tone out and make it a bit stronger and thicker.

Finally, something to work with

Now you do realise you're not going to get all that out of one pickup without twiddling knobs or clever wiring? You'll get all the sounds from the guitar itself though.

My first instinct is a pair of Dimarzio Breeds, whilst they're very fat and warm sounding and ballsy as hell there's a healthy amount of top end there. Definitely go with one for the neck, however if the bridge in particular doesn't have enough top end you've got a couple of options - you could bump up to 1 meg pots to sharpen the treble response or you could install a series/parallel toggle. Wiring a humbucker in parallel drops the output a bit and also brightens the tone a bit.

Clips of Breed equipped guitar through medium/high gain valve amp...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7157498&postcount=201

There's also the Norton/Humbucker from Hell option - that's another versatile set but the Humbucker from Hell is unusually bright for a neck pickup and gives really good, almost glassy cleans.

Both those bridge pickups have Alnico 5 magnets, if you want the harder edged tone of a ceramic maget in the bridge then consider the D-Sonic matched with a Breed in the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc