listen to someone like yngvie malmstein or paul gilbert.
That's how.
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
If you mean play "cleanly" then you just make sure you're picking accurately and not hitting unwanted strings.

If you mean "clean" then you generally don't...that's what the clean channel is for.

If you only have a single channel amp then turning the guitar volume down and/or picking softer will help a lot if it's a tube amp, not so much if it's solid state.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by polargimp
turn down the volume on the guitar

what if people need to hear you?
Yeah you mean playing precisely "cleanly" not non distorted "cleanly" right?
Well practise on a clean channel, and get it your chops perfect with a metronome. Distortion covers mistakes, but it's extremely noticable in a good way if you play well on a distorted channel. There are some amazing shredders out there, but the difference between them and what jason becker or malmsteen or gilbert or satch or the like are that they practised like mofo's and did it properly. No skimping man!

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
turn down the guitar volume but put the amp volume up

try to avoid playing multiple strings (like unison bends and partial chords) and lightly mute the strings to stop them ringing unwantedly

picking in the right mood makes a bigger difference than people realise...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
YE but imo opinion you should pracice with distortio to. You say distortion covers up mistakes; but sometimes without distortion you won't hear mistakes. Like if a string rings a bit on a clean it's likely that you sometimes won't hear it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
turn the gain all the way down, and turn the volume on your guitar down a bit.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Use your right hand to mute unwanted strings
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

yeah i do use my right hand to mute unwanted strings. but when i lift up my right hand, the strings ring
Quote by xxdarrenxx
YE but imo opinion you should pracice with distortio to. You say distortion covers up mistakes; but sometimes without distortion you won't hear mistakes. Like if a string rings a bit on a clean it's likely that you sometimes won't hear it.

You're wrong. and backwords, and have no idea what you're talking about.

And what do you mean by CLEANLY? like clean picking? clean sound (no distortion) and why? because you're getting feedback or want less gain? what amp are you using that's doing this?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
If you have a tube amp then you can use your guitar volume to control the distortion somewhat.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by l3p4rd
You're wrong. and backwords, and have no idea what you're talking about.

He's not wrong. Not even the slightest.

If you're playing distorted, it covers up a lot of your mistakes; true. Mistakes like hitting the 'skipped string' for example, are easily hidden since the sound of the pick hitting the string is absorbed and blended in with all the other noise.

The other way around, playing clean (so, on the actual clean channel) can make mistakes you're making (open strings sounding, harmonics that your fingers are hitting) not audible, because they get stuffed away in the rest of the sound, in much the same was as distorted mistakes get covered up.

So if anybody's wrong, it's you, for saying 'backwords'.
Last edited by Y00p at Oct 10, 2008,
Just takes practice. If you have unwanted noise there is no magic effect or amp setting that will get rid of it. The amp simply amplifies what you play along with what you may not intend to play.