Hi,

I just moved into the tube world with a Randall RG50TC. It is a great amp, but the distortion is not that great, especially at lower volumes. Not like the big Randall SS's that im used to anyway.

I was thinking of buying a pedal as i have heard it can bring about better distortion with a tube amp.

Whats the difference between a distortion pedal and an overdrive pedal? Which one should i get for use with my tube amp? Also what specific pedals should i look for?

Thanks
RG's & Mesa's
Ok, a distortion pedal is like an overdrive, but with more gain/drive. An overdrive just provides a small amount of gain, while distortion has much more gain. There is also a fuzz pedal, which is like a dirtier, grungier distortion.

well first off, what styles do u play???

if metal then you'd need at least an overdrive to get the high gain sound, but i'd recommend a distortion pedal.

if classic rock/modern rock then yeah you would need an overdrive, and maybe a distortion

I play with all three types of distortion(OD, fuzz and high gain) to get different sounds, but its up to you, go and try some out at GC (if you live in US) or watch demos on youtube

EDIT: i've heard that you can get a good distortion by adding a bit of OD to ur original distortion whether it is to clean it up or add more gain !?!?!?
Last edited by halvies at Oct 10, 2008,
Quote by halvies
Ok, a distortion pedal is like an overdrive, but with more gain/drive. An overdrive just provides a small amount of gain, while distortion has much more gain. There is also a fuzz pedal, which is like a dirtier, grungier distortion.

well first off, what styles do u play???

if metal then you'd need at least an overdrive to get the high gain sound, but i'd recommend a distortion pedal.

if classic rock/modern rock then yeah you would need an overdrive, and maybe a distortion

I play with all three types of distortion(OD, fuzz and high gain) to get different sounds, but its up to you, go and try some out at GC (if you live in US) or watch demos on youtube

EDIT: i've heard that you can get a good distortion by adding a bit of OD to ur original distortion whether it is to clean it up or add more gain !?!?!?

Pretty good post. But I'd say you need a distortion pedal for anything metal.

The last part, you probably mean using an OD pedal as a clean boost. That is, gain at 0 and level at full or so. This will boost the signal (while not modifying it otherwise too much), which gives you more gain and usually tightens it up somewhat. This is usually done with a tube amps distortion channel.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
thanks guys, i like to play metal but a bit of everything. I was looking at the fulltone 2 in one pedal that is a distortion and o/d pedal. Would this do the trick? Is it suited to metal?'

Thanks
RG's & Mesa's