Okayy folks.
My iPod is seriously sucking a hard one at the moment so i want your thoughts on what you'd say would be the best portable media player available (baring in mind I'm a Linux user). also, your thoughts on the worst media player available will do some help too (so I know what NOT to get). People jumping into the world of portable music may also want to read through so they can see what they should get =P

Thanks in advance =]

EDIT: I'll start a list of the players everyone has pointed out, along with pros and cons. If you have a suggestion just type out the name of the player and some pros and cons (if any)

Apple iPod
Pros
- Decent size
- Ability to view lyrics while playing songs
Cons
- Only supports commercial operating systems
- Is known to completely kill itself at some random point
- Syncing is standard (an annoyance for new users)

Archos
Pros
- Brand is known to be reliable
- Supports multiple operating systems
Cons
- N/A

Cowon
Pros
- Unique features
- Great codec support (audio and video)
- AV support
- Supports both PAL and NTSC
- Internal video recording
- Great size
Cons
- N/A

Creative Zen
Pros
- Lightweight
- Versatile
- SD slot (extra memory)
- Strong!
Cons
- Suddenly breaks
- Small flash drive

iRiver
Pros
- Supports RockBox
- Decent Size
- Six years old and still pwns your girlfriend's iPod Nano
Cons
- N/A

Zune
Pros
- Firmware is enjoyable
- Good screen size
- Good sound quality
Cons
- Screen is said to "explode"
- Bad warranty

AT THIS MOMENT, COWON IS THE BEST PLAYER TO GO FOR IN TERMS OF FEATURES
Last edited by B. Arab Records at Oct 10, 2008,
You looking for a portable media player (PMP) or an MP3 player?
I'd imagine that most of either will support Linux, or there'll be some OS software somewhere that'll work.

Archos have made a reputable name in the world of PMPs in the last few years, check some of their stuff out.
thanks =]
and thanks for taking this seriously, i was expecting to get flamed =P

EDIT: preferably a pmp, i mean, converting to mp4 is a real pain in the anus =P
I second Archos. They're pretty damn good...
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by blue_strat
Have a look at the customer reviews on places like Amazon and cnet.

i will. thanks =]
Don't buy a Zune. The 30GB models have a consistent tendency to have the LCD screen explode, and Microsoft isn't covering it under their warranty. I bought my sister one for Christmas last year, and that was a waste of $200.
Quote by Hergiswi
Don't buy a Zune. The 30GB models have a consistent tendency to have the LCD screen explode, and Microsoft isn't covering it under their warranty. I bought my sister one for Christmas last year, and that was a waste of $200.

yeah big name brands = big mistake. learning it from experience makes it even worse
Quote by ChrisN
Cowon.

lol i was just lookin at that =P
kinda out of my price range though considering i've already ordered a 12 string acoustic and niandra lades and usually just a t-shirt, and saving up for a new amp
Quote by Hergiswi

I love my 80GB. The new firmware is awesome, too.

EDIT: FUCK YEAH NIANDRA LADES!^^
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast
I love my 80GB. The new firmware is awesome, too.

EDIT: FUCK YEAH NIANDRA LADES!^^

YAYYY MORE FROOSH FANS!!! =]
It was a real bitch to find though. Ended up ordering it from the U.S (to Australia =P)
ive got the 80gb zune and its pretty damn good
huge screen, good sound quality.
i think it beats the shit out of ipod 80's
ive had it for almost a year and the only thing wrong with it is a cracked screen from having it thrown at the wall
Quote by georgejimmy
ive got the 80gb zune and its pretty damn good
huge screen, good sound quality.
i think it beats the shit out of ipod 80's
ive had it for almost a year and the only thing wrong with it is a cracked screen from having it thrown at the wall

yeah mine was fine for a fair while, then suddenly it just shat itself
I would have been bigging up my Creative Zen up until it decided to break 3 days ago. MP3 players are all really unreliable.
this thread will come in handy as i'm getting a replacement mp4 player for christmas. so, what to get? i had a 30gb creative zen vision M that worked great, but i dropped it over 1000 times before it finally bit the dust, so i'm thinking of getting another because, even though i only had it a year, it survived being dropped down stairs, being stepped on, dropped in sea water, various cracks and a grey screen. any better ideas?
Quote by dio_dude
this thread will come in handy as i'm getting a replacement mp4 player for christmas. so, what to get? i had a 30gb creative zen vision M that worked great, but i dropped it over 1000 times before it finally bit the dust, so i'm thinking of getting another because, even though i only had it a year, it survived being dropped down stairs, being stepped on, dropped in sea water, various cracks and a grey screen. any better ideas?

I loved my Zen's. I had a Sleek and a Vision:M but they both stopped working.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Quote by TooFast
I loved my Zen's. I had a Sleek and a Vision:M but they both stopped working.

I might look into that =P
How did they stop working? Something happen or did it just suddenly shit itself?
PS: Your band is awsome! =]
Quote by B. Arab Records
I might look into that =P
PS: Your band is awsome! =]

Thanks a lot
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Quote by TooFast
Thanks a lot

no problem =]
been looking out for really good non-huge bands and u have a really good style going =]
going to battle of the bands tomorrow yayy! =D
I have a Creative Zen and it's great, had it for like a year or so now and it's still working perfectly, the only thing is it's got quite a small memory compared to others (As it's flash based), which makes it very lightweight and versatile but if you have a lot of music it might not be for you, the biggest size is 16gb I believe. Although it does feature an SD card expansion slot, which is pretty cool.
Quote by Gmp
I have a Creative Zen and it's great, had it for like a year or so now and it's still working perfectly, the only thing is it's got quite a small memory compared to others (As it's flash based), which makes it very lightweight and versatile but if you have a lot of music it might not be for you, the biggest size is 16gb I believe. Although it does feature an SD card expansion slot, which is pretty cool.

thanks for the heads up Gmp =]
I might throw in a "Recommended" and "Not Recommended" list at the start