Lately ive been noticing i can listen to a song and just play it with minimal messin around trying to find notes and such

Ive been playin for little over a year and im just wondering if this is natural and if i can improve it
Yes it is, and yes you can improve it. There are programs designed to help you do just that called interval trainers. I'm pretty sure you can even find free ones online. Thats one of the things I'm working on now because my ear bites.
ah cool, thanks.

Its so nice to be able to just play Satriani melody without havin to look up tabs.
You're lucky to have developed a good ear so early.

To mantain/improve it, download ear training programs, like the guy mentioned.

And never look up tabs. Do it all by ear, I mean it - it'll help you a lot. Get a software which slows down the song and then try to figure it out note by note.

Also, always try to play a well - tuned guitar. You may not notice it, but it helps in subconsciously giving you a better idea of how each note sounds. I'm a bit guilty on this front still, though. :P My guitar goes out of tune after a while. =/
yeah i hate it cos i can hear the damn guitar when it goes out of tune, and having a shitty guitar it goes out alot, so i have to stop and retune

but the way im training it at the moment is playin along to satriani tracks and just soloing or figuring out the rhythm

EDIT: also, i dont get why tabs are so taboo, for me they helped familiarise me with different chord shapes and scales etc so now i can figure out them by ear
Last edited by Zyzzvya at Oct 10, 2008,
Yes, tabs do help when you really really cant get a part or want to learn how exactly a song was composed.

But don't consult them just because youre lazy (like I often am) as they will deprive you of valuable ear practice.
Don't get the wrong idea about tabs, though. If you want to develop technique as fast as possible, you can learn difficult playing music and use them as exercises, which should be the best way to learn, though, you should learn songs by ear to develop it further.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Ceck out "Relative Pitch" training

this training will eventually will lead to "Perfect Pitch"
I was led to believe perfect pitch was something you were born with.

edit : this should be in MT
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
I was led to believe perfect pitch was something you were born with.

edit : this should be in MT

Thats a tough one.. lets put up a poll!
by te way does anyone here read Guitar World magazine or whatever its called now?

They have an ad in there for a course devloping perfect pitch, perfectpitch.com

It makes alot of drastic claims and i was just wondering if this'd be helpful or if its a gimmick
Or rather, I just read around the web that everyone is born with perfect pitch but lose it as they grow up. >.>
Relative Pitch will not lead to eprfect pitch. They are 2 different things. Relative pitch is the ability to hear intervals and instantly know them. Perfect pitch deals with how every note has its own'color' that you can instantly hear. I believe it can be learned although some eople are born with it.But the 2 don't relate. Ideally we would like both. But someone with perfect pitch could have no understanding of relative pitch and vice versa
Andy
Indeed, sometimes people with perfect pitch struggle with relative pitch because they are hearing two seperate pitches then trying to figure out the interval between them, whereas the relative pitch person just hears the interval.
Case in point, my wife has perfect pitch, I have relative pitch. We were playing around on the good-ear website mentioned above and I was scoring higher than she was on all the interval stuff. Then we got to the perfect pitch section, and I was instantly owned.

There is a theory that it is possible for a person without perfect pitch to gain something which appears to be and functions more of less like perfect pitch. The idea is that if you have very good relative pitch and can memorize one pitch absolutely (it seems to be accepted that you can do one or two without possessing perfect pitch), then when you hear other pitches you can identify them by the interval between them and your internal reference note that you have memorized.
Internally, this is not perfect pitch, but it seems that you could get a lot of the same benefits this way.