Page 1 of 2
Hey

For a long time i've been playing guitar and only really playing rythmn parts, and now i'm getting pretty irritated because considering the time i've been playing i've got no where with soloing.

Can some of you make me a list going from easiest to hardest of solo's to learn one by one to slowly but surely increase my soloing skills?

Either that or give me some tips, what helped you, what stages did you take to get better, anything you think will help?

Thanks

p.s. practice, practice, practice doesn't help, if you wanna say this, tell me WHAT to practice
I found GnR's "Don't Cry", Candlebox's "You", and Metallica's "Unforgiven II" to have been very helpful in getting into that soloing mindset.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I started with nothing else matters by MEtallica, fairly easy, gets the whole concept across.. Then I'd try Harvester of Sorrow, then the intro solo to Sanitarium (I like to play Metallica.. Kay?) and yeah, then idk.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
well the first solo i ever learnt was the godfather theme by slash and that was pretty much when i first started playing because i saw it on you tube and thought i need to learn that because i thought slash was amazing then i started to learn the november rain solo which im still learning because its hard to get the notes right because its mostly bends and stuff like that, this might not have helped but i hope i did
Quote by SenorSmiley
Slash is a horrible, boring guitar player so most of his stuff is easy to find your way through

I think if slash was a horrible boring guitar player they wouldn't of sold more records then you could ever dream of selling.

And this is coming from someone who dosent particularly like Guns N roses.... at all.
"It sounded so good and when i put it on a Line 6 Spider with a Zoom guitar efect petal it sounded so good" - Dean SplitTail review on musicians friend
Quote by SenorSmiley
Slash is a horrible, boring guitar player so most of his stuff is easy to find your way through

So... why is he a horrible boring player then?
Quote by Mwoit
So... why is he a horrible boring player then?

I'm going to guess his reasons are either:

1: Too much pentatonic/blues stuff (Which every artist of the past 40 years did).
Or,
2: Ever since GH it's cool to hate Slash (Which makes him an idiot).

Either way, actually, he's an idiot.

But yeah, GNR and Metallica both have some easy solos to learn.
Quote by SenorSmiley

Slash rules.It maybe easy , but that doesnt mean it isnt creative and can actually sound better than a more technical solo....His solos are more about emotions flowing out,, I guess you really dont get it.Please do us a favour and pick up another hobby
if you go to the tab talk forum, they have a decent list of beginning through intermediate solos stickied.

Now there are 2

new one:
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955098

old one:
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349808
Quote by Epic_chef
I think if slash was a horrible boring guitar player they wouldn't of sold more records then you could ever dream of selling.

And this is coming from someone who dosent particularly like Guns N roses.... at all.

yeah and also to add to that slash must be doing something right unless you have to be sh*t to get your own signiture guitar
Quote by Mustaine1990
Hey

Either that or give me some tips, what helped you, what stages did you take to get better, anything you think will help?

Thanks

p.s. practice, practice, practice doesn't help, if you wanna say this, tell me WHAT to practice

I learned scales and modes and memorized them throughout the fretboard and practice them with a metronome daily with different positions. This helps me become accurate with my picking and gives me finger dexterity for soloing. Knowing all that, I can learn solos much faster because I know the neck well.
^Yes -- practice of scales and modes will prepare your fingers.

When you start to learn solos, just do a few bars at a time before going on to do the whole solo. It also helps to use software to slow down the song without changing pitch, so you can play along and absorb some important playing details -- the type of vibrato, legato, etc.

If you like hard rock/metal, Black Sabbath is a great place to start. The solos are largely blues-based pentatonic scales, and most of them aren't so blindingly fast as to put them out of your reach.
Atreyu's Lip Gloss And Black has an extremely simple solo...it helped me a tad. Nothing Else Matters did, as well. The intro riff to Trivium's Dying In Your Arms is not really a solo, but is kinda solo-ey...if that makes any sense.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
I just tend to prefer other hair metal players to Slash.

For example - Mike Slamer's (Warrant) Mark Ferrari (Keel, Pantera), etc...
Foxboro Hot Tubs: Stop, Drop and Roll
The Clash: Police and Thieves

For some not too difficult, not metal, soloing goodness.
Quote by dylanfg
shut up no hes not

You kids and your genre wars
Hes not my stye personally but hes nothing special to get worked up about.
^^speaking of genre wars...

Quote by SenorSmiley
I just tend to prefer other hair metal players to Slash.

For example - Mike Slamer's (Warrant) Mark Ferrari (Keel, Pantera), etc...

Is slash/guns n roses really hair metal? Yes, the same decade, but I mean, look at the snakepit, that's not hairmetal...

Sorry, that just kinda bothered me, is all...

edit: Btw, my bad for not helping and going way off topic

edit #2: i guess i can help...i reccommend looking at blues guitarists, such as B.B. King. Specifically(sp?) look at the way blues guitarists phrase their lines. Effective phrasing helps make good solos. Also look into playing the changes, and switching between modes/scales within a solo, even within a line. To see good use of this technique, listening to blues/jazz players would be the way to go. (sorry I can't name specifics, maybe someone else can?)
Last edited by Cold Flame44 at Oct 10, 2008,
I would say...dont use tabs, you WILL struggle at first, but hell it trains the ear sooo much better than any tab can, pick a particular solo piece you like, the first solos I've learned after 2 years of having learned one (Smells Like Teen Spirit ) were the Crystal Mountain and Misanthrope solos by Death, which I learnt yesterday, I spent the 2 years in between practicing scales and coming up with my own stuff and training my ears and learning theory to help me get around and getting up to speed.

I would recommend doing the same thing, and I'm assuming you dont have ADHD like I do, you'll do it faster than I did. One thing though, you have to love it and fully want to learn it, again pick a solo piece that you like, I dont want to give you recommendations because they might not spark an interest in you, but I will anyway.

Daath - Ovum (its like...4-5 notes )
Def Leppard - Lets Get Rocked (nice little shred section with the major scale)
Winger - Miles Away (Extremely easy, very slow with 3 16th notes almost at the end, and works almost all around the neck so you can get a nice feel for different positions around the neck)

and if you want be daring, try the Misanthrope solo by Death, it pretty much stays in the second octave of the neck (after the 12th fret) so its not too difficult to decipher, its just fast, so slowly work up to speed and once you're able to improvise at that speed. You'll be fine.

Damn that's a long read haha.
1- Slash is Glam Metal. He tried out for Poison and didn't get the gig because he was no C.C. DeVille - this is fact so don't dispute it or you'll just look like an idiot.

2- GnR was a ripoff of a band called Odin. If you ever hear Randy O you'll see what a clone Waxl is of him. Jeff Duncan from Odin was in Armored Saint for a while.

3- GnR was a hair metal band. I remember when AOD came out and they were decked out in makeup and hairspray.

4- Tommy Stinson is the best person ever to be in GnR for the guitar department. Any record Tommy has been on is better then anything Slash ever played on.

5- Don't waste your time with Tab. Learn to read music. Then learn to properly notate music and start working on transcribing parts. This will help you work on your ears and will also give you the skills you need to play with other musicians regardless of what instrument they play.

Hair Metal - honestly, do any of these bands look that different?:

Winger:

Guns N Roses:

Bang Tango:

Last edited by SenorSmiley at Oct 10, 2008,
Quote by Eric 666
Winger - Miles Away (Extremely easy, very slow with 3 16th notes almost at the end, and works almost all around the neck so you can get a nice feel for different positions around the neck)

One major downside, though... It's Winger.
Quote by SenorSmiley
Winger is about 3000x better then Slash era Guns.

Reb Beach is a fantastic guitar player

It's still Winger...

Quote by SenorSmiley
4- Tommy Stinson is the best person ever to be in GnR for the guitar department. Any record Tommy has been on is better then anything Slash ever played on.

So you're saying that GnR's current bassist is the best guitarist they ever had? Eeerrrrrr...

Also, Marc Ferrari was not in Pantera. Not much more than, say, Kerry King or Rob Halford was...
Yes. Tommy Stinson was a great guitar player when he was in Perfect, Band and Pop and on his solo records.

He is actually a good songwriter and singer as well.

And I would also say that Tommy's old bands made better records then GnR did with any lineup.

I would take the worst Replacements record over the best GnR record any day.

Mark Ferarri played guitar on the first Pantera record BTW.
Quote by SenorSmiley
Yes. Tommy Stinson was a great guitar player when he was in Perfect, Band and Pop and on his solo records.
But you said "in GnR for the guitar department"... That's not what he does for them. But yeah, he's pretty good. Way better than Duff, for instance. Heck, Ole Beich was better than Duff.

Quote by SenorSmiley

Mark Ferarri played guitar on the first Pantera record BTW.

I know, and Kerry King played guitar on the last. Marc was a guest on those two tracks, like Kerry was on Goddamn Electric.

But that Kip Winger... Grrr.
Kip Winger never bothered me. He's cooler then Jon Bon
Jovi, although that's kind of like saying someone is cooler then Slash. It doesn't mean much.
^Your opinion. Slash is a much more successful musician, who is in a new band selling more multi-platinum albums today, and he wrote some of the most memorable hooks and riffs of our generation. He's far from the best guitarist, but he's a much more talented musician than most other hair metal guitarists.

PS: thanks for hijacking this poor guy's thread
Instead of just learning solos, why don't you learn what YOU want to learn. if it's just rhythm, fine. If you really want to learn soloing and stuff then learn up on theory and just learn stuff you can and want to learn.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by pak1351
^Your opinion. Slash is a much more successful musician, who is in a new band selling more multi-platinum albums today, and he wrote some of the most memorable hooks and riffs of our generation. He's far from the best guitarist, but he's a much more talented musician than most other hair metal guitarists.

PS: thanks for hijacking this poor guy's thread

Hannah Montana sells more records then Slash. I fail to see your point.

Slash is nowhere near the guitar player other "hair metal" guitarists are. By your logic, CC DeVille is better, as Poison was/is bigger then GNR ever was. Actually, I would bet that Open Up and Say Ah had more hits then AFD.

Let's see, paradise city, sweet child welcome to the jungle were all hits. Was there another I'm missing?

compared to Nothing but a Good Time, Every Rose, Your Mama Dont Dance, Fallen Angel, and Look But You can't touch.

Yep - as far as my generation goes, Poison was a bigger band.

Also, Reb Beach (Winger), Dave Menikett (Y&T)i, Vivian Campbell (Whitesnake/Def Lep), Steve Vai (DLR, Whitesnake), Mick Mars (Motley Crue), ; Brooke St. James (Tyketto), Ritchie Sambora (Bon Jovi), Ritchie Kotzen (Poison), Blues Saraceno (Poison) and many more are much better guitarists then Slash.
Last edited by SenorSmiley at Oct 10, 2008,
Quote by Pikka Bird
It's still Winger...

I'm guessing you're a Beavis and Butthead fan?

Honestly, I dont care how cheesy it was, Kip Winger is a great singer and songwriter with an amazing ear and Reb Beach will wipe the floor with most glam metal guitarists, plus he's a Jazz fusion veteran with an enormous amount of session work throughout the 80's. Rod Morgenstein played with the Dixie Dregs, nuff said, and Paul Taylor...well he's a good rhythm guitarist and a good keyboardist
Quote by Eric 666

Honestly, I dont care how cheesy it was, Kip Winger is a great singer and songwriter with an amazing ear and Reb Beach will wipe the floor with most glam metal guitarists, plus he's a Jazz fusion veteran with an enormous amount of session work throughout the 80's. Rod Morgenstein played with the Dixie Dregs, nuff said, and Paul Taylor...well he's a good rhythm guitarist and a good keyboardist

This.

Winger r gud, ya?
Having seen Reb Beach, he is a pretty amazing guitarist. You can like or not like Winger, Guns, etc... but Reb is a heck of a lot better then Slash ever could dream of being.

When Slash starts releasing his Standards record or does something other than what he has been doing for 20 years maybe I'll change my mind.

Slash = resting on a couple records that were cool 20 years ago
Quote by Eric 666
Perhaps. I hated Kip Winger before, though. I know Reb is pretty damned rad, but Kip has a real attitude problem and sees himself as the ultimate musician who can beat anyone at anything, whether it's a guitar battle or fisticuffs. I can't take that man seriously.
I think Kip Winger is also heavy into jazz these days. it's wierd. I remember when he was in Alice Cooper's band.
Work on your accuracy first and just do exercises for now, you can attempt simple solos but it means nothing if you don't know about left/right hand damping and how to pick accurately.

SenorSmiley, shut up, nearly every post I've seen you've made is bullshit, and that argument we got into a few months back only makes me think you're an even bigger moron, stop trying to hijack this guy's thread.
XianXiuHong,

Just because you can not accept the fact that Reb Beach is a schooled musician who can do more then play pentatonic scales don't get upset at Senor Smiley.

Go look up Kip Winger or Reb Beach and see what they're up to. I believe both are in the jazz world now.
Quote by SenorSmiley
XianXiuHong,

Just because you can not accept the fact that Reb Beach is a schooled musician who can do more then play pentatonic scales don't get upset at Senor Smiley.

Go look up Kip Winger or Reb Beach and see what they're up to. I believe both are in the jazz world now.

I don't care who's a better musician, just stop trying to hijack this guy's thread, I couldn't give a damn if Slash were the most well-trained musician or not, you're still an ass for hijacking the thread and inciting an argument.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Perhaps. I hated Kip Winger before, though. I know Reb is pretty damned rad, but Kip has a real attitude problem and sees himself as the ultimate musician who can beat anyone at anything, whether it's a guitar battle or fisticuffs. I can't take that man seriously.

Really? How do you figure? I honestly thought he was a pretty nice and honest guy, I remember seeing in an interview on YouTube that he was pretty straight forward with his answers and what not and he didn't seem like a showboater to me.
Page 1 of 2