okay, so yesterday i atempted to put a thicker guage of strings on my guitar. This is the first time ive ever set up a floyd, so im new to it. So I went from a .9s to .10s. I looked up how to set up the floyd rose on the internet, and I understood what to do. So after all the tuning, and retuning I got the bridge parallel to the body. I locked the nut. and then used the fine tuners to finnish. I then started playing the guitar. Now this is were i had problems. My guitar started going out of tune. So i thought no big deal i'll just use the fine tuners to bring it back up to pitch. So I brought it up to pitch. It seemed to be okay, but it kept going out of tune, so i kept using the fine tuners. After about an hour or more of playing i noticed the bridge had pulled up agian. I'm not completely sure what i did that the bridge did this. Was it using the fine tuning screws? I stretched out the strings pretty well..but even after stretching them for a long time, the strings went out of tune if i did a bend. I know i have to always tune up, but what happen if a string goes sharp? do i have to retune the string all over again? if Anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.
welcome to the wonderful world of floyd rose
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
lol the only difference between mexican and american strats are that mexican strats are made by mexicans in mexico, and american strats are made by mexicans in america...
make shore the guitar is in tune roughly and then use the bridge to get it exacatly intune
Quote by gbrundish
you need to cut off the ball of the end of the string

That makes no sense whatsoever genius. How would he lock the strings in the saddle with the ball ends on there, which he's done. Of course he cut the ball ends off.

Anyways, threadstarter what I would do or rather what I do with a floating Floyd is this. Loosen the nut and detune your guitar until your Floyd starts to drop into the cavity but of course not all the way that it doesn't touch the body. I then tune low E, D to pitch or a bit sharp, then high E and B then D and G. Then I go back and repeat and repeat and repeat until bridge becomes leveled. Seems to me like you maybe missed a step somehow I dunno. If you're still not in tune and the bridge is past parallel then loosen the 2 screws in the claw equally and detune then start tuning again and again and again lol. Do this until you're tuned to pitch and your bridge is perfectly level. I tune by 12th fret harmonics once I'm close to having the bridge level. Then lock your nut and adjust the fine tuners if needed of course and see if it worked
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by sam b
You could just have a shite bridge

What guitar is it?

Is it an OFR?

its not an ofr =[ but i just had it set up a little while ago and it was fine till i messed with it lmao. I should have had him just put .10s on, but i wanted to experiment, and to whoever said i have to cut the ball ends off, i know. I couldn't have gotten as far as I did if I didnt lmao
Last edited by guitarfreak5341 at Oct 10, 2008,
Quote by DSOTM80
That makes no sense whatsoever genius. How would he lock the strings in the saddle with the ball ends on there, which he's done. Of course he cut the ball ends off.

Anyways, threadstarter what I would do or rather what I do with a floating Floyd is this. Loosen the nut and detune your guitar until your Floyd starts to drop into the cavity but of course not all the way that it doesn't touch the body. I then tune low E, D to pitch or a bit sharp, then high E and B then D and G. Then I go back and repeat and repeat and repeat until bridge becomes leveled. Seems to me like you maybe missed a step somehow I dunno. If you're still not in tune and the bridge is past parallel then loosen the 2 screws in the claw equally and detune then start tuning again and again and again lol. Do this until you're tuned to pitch and your bridge is perfectly level. I tune by 12th fret harmonics once I'm close to having the bridge level. Then lock your nut and adjust the fine tuners if needed of course and see if it worked

thanks a lot =D thats a lot of info haha, but I dont think i missed a step, cuz the bridge started pulling up a long time after i got it parellel. I dont know, maybe I didn't stretch the strings out enough before i locked the nut =\. I'm not completely sure. maybe i did it wrong since im new at it xD hahaha oh well thanks a lot.
Not stretching the strings shouldn't make it go up like that. I used to not stretch strings beforehand and I lost tuning (strings stretched), but thats it. The strings would have to compress and a great deal to raise the bridge up so no its not that.

I'd just try it again and try and follow the steps and take your time. Its actually very easy to setup a floating Floyd just takes time thats all.
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Oct 10, 2008,
Quote by DSOTM80
Not stretching the strings shouldn't make it go up like that. I used to not stretch strings beforehand and I lost tuning (strings stretched), but thats it. The strings would have to compress and a great deal to raise the bridge up so no its not that.

I'd just try and again and try and follow the steps and take your time. Its actually very easy to setup a floating Floyd just takes time thats all.

yeah I know i understand it perfectly, it really makes complete sence. The only thing i have a problem is that i have to tune my strings all a little flat cuz when i lock the nut the strings go sharp. then i have to tune with the fine tuners, and sometimes i mess that up and then i have to detune the strings cuz i went to sharp haha. I have one more question i should have asked before but, the fine tuners raise the bridge right? cuz when i lock the nut the bridge is usually back in the cavity just a little, and right now the bridge is a little high, I need to just tighten up the screws in the back, and what should i do if the guitar goes out of tune? should i just tune it with the fine tuners?
right..good comments by person above..
but you have to make sure intonation is correct..dnt harmonic 12th, play 12th..only way to test. harmonics give u exact tuning of current string not location.

but erm..basically i just restrung mine. same gauge..but i put them on tight..tuned, widdled the floyd for a few mins, tightened to #'er than standard and whammied again and again, then stretched them with my fingers..i did that yesterday, and right now i can whammy all day and no issues what so ever

try some on that

oh n fine tuners..wont raise it too much..
it will in the smallest of factors, making tuning a bit of a bitch..but hey, set all your fine tuners to the middle before tuning!! otherwise you should really redo it all
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
No the fine tuners shouldn't raise the bridge...geez what did you do? lol
Personally I'd take it back to the tech, pay the $20 or whatever he'll charge you. He might just laugh and do it for free cause you've been there before and you're better off that way and guitar setup properly. Just my 2 cents.
fyi it does raise it..lok on the bottom.
it pushes down on a little metal bit that pulls the string tighter..thus raising it, pointing forwards a bit more..just tried to to make sure 100%
Quote by fairycake92
right..good comments by person above..
but you have to make sure intonation is correct..dnt harmonic 12th, play 12th..only way to test. harmonics give u exact tuning of current string not location.

but erm..basically i just restrung mine. same gauge..but i put them on tight..tuned, widdled the floyd for a few mins, tightened to #'er than standard and whammied again and again, then stretched them with my fingers..i did that yesterday, and right now i can whammy all day and no issues what so ever

try some on that

oh n fine tuners..wont raise it too much..
it will in the smallest of factors, making tuning a bit of a bitch..but hey, set all your fine tuners to the middle before tuning!! otherwise you should really redo it all
thanks a lot, so your saying i should tune it a bit sharp then just whammy a lot?
that is my personal prefered way of doing it, the strings have to be properly stretched..keep the locking nut open so you can tune normally.

just keep stretching them...takes some time, but they stay in tune.

i USED TO use a prs and when i changed the strings..cos im a fanatic about that, i used to undo them carefully and roll them up, when i needed to replace floyd strings, i used the older prs ones mostly stretched
Quote by fairycake92
that is my personal prefered way of doing it, the strings have to be properly stretched..keep the locking nut open so you can tune normally.

just keep stretching them...takes some time, but they stay in tune.

i USED TO use a prs and when i changed the strings..cos im a fanatic about that, i used to undo them carefully and roll them up, when i needed to replace floyd strings, i used the older prs ones mostly stretched

Alright well i'll definatly try that thank you very much and haha thats awesome.i should have saved some of my old strings x( but I didnt lol oh well. well I hope I can actually get the floyd to work the way i want it to. I'll defintaly work on it, thanks a lot that really helps haha
Quote by DSOTM80
No the fine tuners shouldn't raise the bridge...geez what did you do? lol
Personally I'd take it back to the tech, pay the $20 or whatever he'll charge you. He might just laugh and do it for free cause you've been there before and you're better off that way and guitar setup properly. Just my 2 cents.

haha idk. i dont think i did anything, but then again im new at it! lol. I still dont know why the bridge started rasing up. that really is confusing lol oh well, i'll mess with it. thanks a lot