...but I am lost as to how I can begin to study and learn about this area.

I've just finished getting my A-levels at sixth form and have left education to earn myself some money. I've always been successful in intellectual subjects like english and philosophy as opposed to subjects on the more practical side of things and so I foolishly dropped Music at the first opportunity because I was simply better at other subjects. This is something I regret as since then Music has really been the only thing that I've had a passionate drive towards, forming various bands, learning various instruments and recording my work using cubase and other such programmes.

Now, upon leaving school I find myself not wanting to pursue any of my former subjects further at uni but wish to study Sound Production. I've recently just applied for a work experience placement at a local theatre, working with the sound for live gigs and performances.

Where do do I start? At what level of study should I be looking at, given that I have no real musical qualifications? What things can I do this year to gain experience?
You're on the right path with work experience, in these kind of industries, qualifications mean shit compared to practical experience.

I'm doing the same thing to get into radio production, and now I am in training at hospital radio in a voluntary capacity. The experience is absolutely worth it even without pay. A few people do get the relevant degrees or A levels, but the large majority of people in the industry don't have one - the experienced worker who doesn't need to be trained will be picked in almost every case. The only reason a qualification would be more useful was if it was a Senior position and the other applicants didn't have enough experience.
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Last edited by Liam. at Oct 10, 2008,
Do a college course?

There's plenty where I live.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Well there is a music technology A level that would have given you basic studio knowledge which is all you need. But you can teach yoursel fmost of it from online articles and working with proffessionals. Then it's all just getting as much experience as possible and hope you get lucky and get a job.

Don't expect to make any money from it though.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
btec national diploma in music technology. pretty much all you'll do is tech recording sessions and shows
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
well learn pro tools its the industry standard so it would b best to know take a college class on it
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
i am currently on my second year of a music production degree course, prior to that i did two years of advanced music production, i could have done the one i am on straight away but i thought i had better build up my basic knowledge first. a great area to work in but you have to have a lot of money or connections to really get noticed at a high level.
Guitars-
krozka-sharpe raider session 'revo'
ibanez s520ex with SD TB-10 full shred bridge
ibanez sz520qm
epiphone les paul custom
epiphone EJ200

Amp-
Orange tiny terror with PPC112 cab