I'm mainly a guitar player, so I'm total n00b in basses and stuff.

I'm looking for bass guitar to play punk.

Choosing between Ibanez ATK300 updated ones and Fender Mark Hoppus signature. Played only Hoppus model. Seems ok, but no tone knob
Haven't really played Ibanez ATK series, but I owned some other stuff from them.
Ibanez is 450EUR. Hoppus is 650EUR.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
y dont u get the hoppus sig and mod it to ur liking?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
look around a bit more try some out, the atk300 sounds pretty ok in my book and certainly gets punchy enough for punk, but it doesn't sound like a p-bass and despite its versitility it does have a very specific set of sounds that don't sound like a lot of other basses. I would not buy one if you hadn't spent some time trying it out. Instead of the mark hoppus you could just look at some other p-basses, you can get an equal quality fender p-bass with a tone knob for less money.
A P-bass would be the best thing for it, and the Hoppus is just a J body with a P pickup. SO Id go with the Hoppus between the two, but look at more basses, like some Fender P basses and such.
Fender standard P? From what I've learnt on here you should be able to pick up a second hand one for a pretty decent price. I'm not a fan of Ibanez basses but thats a personal thing. Does it HAVE to be between the two?
atk. or a normal precision. that Hoppus sig is a stupid, stupid instrument. any bass with no tone knob does not deserve to be.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Just get a regular ol' Precision Bass, thrash it around, put some stickers on it, and never turn the tone knob down.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Underjoggle
Just get a regular ol' Precision Bass, thrash it around, put some stickers on it, and never turn the tone knob down.

Dont put stickers on it they just look stupid. If you can get a pbass special that would be awesome. Or just a standard p bass. But i myself would go straight for the atk and get it instead. Its quiet good for a musicman-ish sort of tone and abit of punch. I wouldnt get the hoppus bass if it has no tone knob, yet a jazz body and neck with a p p ickup is appealing.

EDIT my god my english was terrible in that post..
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Oct 10, 2008,
Quote by fatgoogle
Dont put stickers on it they just look stupid. If you can get a pbass special. Or just a standard p bass. But i myself ould go straight for the atk and get instead. ITs quiet good for a musicman-ish sort of tone and abit of punch. I wouldnt get the hoppus one if it has no tone knob, yet a jazz body and neck witha p p ickup is appealing.

it is. they need to make some kinda replacement electronics for that thing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
it is. they need to make some kinda replacement electronics for that thing.

I thought the whole idea of a signature model was to have it to the persons specs/ how they wanted it. Mark Hoppus obviously didn't want a tone knob on his signature bass so they didn't put one on. When fender makes your signature bass you can ask for as many tone knobs as you want.
Quote by consecutive e
I thought the whole idea of a signature model was to have it to the persons specs/ how they wanted it. Mark Hoppus obviously didn't want a tone knob on his signature bass so they didn't put one on. When fender makes your signature bass you can ask for as many tone knobs as you want.

hmmm... well then, why is John East daring to make a j-retro for the Marcus Miller j-bass? such n00bz (the company I mean, not you).
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Oct 10, 2008,
The Hoppus Sig, has few positives:

1. SD Quarter-Pounder's, they are really good pick-ups.
2. The detractors never seem to mention this, but it's a string through body.

If the lack of a tone knob doesn't bother you that much, and you like the pick ups and the string through goodness. I would at least serious consider it.

But, how much is standard P-bass where you live? That's the real question. If it's close I would go with the hoppus.
Quote by fatgoogle
Dont put stickers on it they just look stupid. If you can get a pbass special that would be awesome. Or just a standard p bass. But i myself would go straight for the atk and get it instead. Its quiet good for a musicman-ish sort of tone and abit of punch. I wouldnt get the hoppus bass if it has no tone knob, yet a jazz body and neck with a p p ickup is appealing.

EDIT my god my english was terrible in that post..

I think stickers look good on P-Basses, especially white P-Basses.

Besides if he's playing punk, that thing's gonna get dinged up anyway.
Hell! If you felt up to it I expect you could stick a tone knob on.

I'd personally go for an MIM P-bass but thats just me
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Rywad
Hell! If you felt up to it I expect you could stick a tone knob on.

I'd personally go for an MIM P-bass but thats just me

I would recommend this too. P-Bass is the archtypical punk bass.
I don't think that they suit punk alone, I like a punchy tone, I don't slap much so thats no worry and I generally find the tone 'nice' it might not be as versatile as a Jazz but that tone is worth the cash. Not hard to guess what bass I want :P
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
squier vm p bass, it's as good as a mexican fender for loads less cash
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I'd go with the ATK.
They're great.
But you really should just test both and see wich one you like best.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!