Hey Pit, I've done my research, used the demo, and concluded that Ubuntu is better suited for me than Windows. I'm downloading the .iso file right now.

My question lies here: How should I go about the installation? I'm debating between using Unetbootin and burning the .iso to a CD.

I designated a partition on my hard drive for it in the event of using UNetBootin, so if it fails I can still load windows from my old partition.

Thing is, I don't have any spare blank CDs handy, so UNetBootin is the probable solution. Is there anything I'm overlooking that could hinder my progress in the installation?

Thanks guys,
Joshua
When i switched my friend came over with it burned onto a blank CD. Worked and works fine.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
I'm dual booting Ubuntu tonight, already have a Live CD which I used to test my hardware compatibility, and it's all go for me.

I have two hard drives so I'm just installing Ubuntu on the one without windows, just copying all the files from the 2nd hard drive onto the windows hard drive right now.
Hey, use Wubi.

You set a file on your primary HDD, which acts as a virtual partition for Ubuntu.

It's soo freaking easy it's fool proof. It sets up the dual boot, no problem, and, bets of all, if you don't like it, you can just uninstall it using Add/Remove programs in Windows.
Quote by saphrax
Ubuntu would be great for me if I had a wireless card that worked with it.

*Thinks for a sec*

I have a new wireless card since I last tried.

Hmmm...
Ubuntu is weird with my wireless card, it won't work if the network is encrypted, so I had to take off encryption and set the router to only accept MAC addresses I told it to, works now.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
Just downloaded Wubi, thanks for that.
And n2dabloo, thanks for my new background.
Once you get BERYL running you won't want a stationary background.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Ubuntu is weird with my wireless card, it won't work if the network is encrypted, so I had to take off encryption and set the router to only accept MAC addresses I told it to, works now.

If it won't support WPA-2, then it is not good enough for me. Like **** I'm unsecuring my Wifi network just so some **** can come along and steal my bandwidth.
i run debian, the net install worked fine for me

welcome to the world of free stuff
now extra flamey
Quote by saphrax
If it won't support WPA-2, then it is not good enough for me. Like **** I'm unsecuring my Wifi network just so some **** can come along and steal my bandwidth.
Well they can't steal your bandwith unless they have your network adapter since that would be the only way they could get your MAC address (if you set up to only allow certain MAC addresses)

It's supposed to accept all types of encryption but on some wireless cards it's just a bit bitchy.

The problem with Linux is driver support. But that is changing.
Okay, so it's downloading... again. I already downloaded the .iso, and now Wubi is doing it again. It's okay though, I'm just glad it's unlimited DSL. Downloading a nearly 700 megabyte file three times would not be good without it.

And the new version coming out the 30th, should I upgrade? Or wait for the bugs to be sorted?
Quote by saphrax

*Thinks for a sec*

Hmmm...

I had problems with wireless when I first switched over. I decided to just run a cable from my router since it's my desktop.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
I plan on downloading that upgrade ColdNovemberRain. Version 9.04/Jaunty Jackalope. Lol, not sure how they come up with these names.
Quote by saphrax

*Thinks for a sec*

Hmmm...

Wireless drivers have gotten much better for ubuntu.
▼▲
Quote by shdowfox17
awesome avatar,denn0069!
Quote by Valo
The most truth I've heard in the pit.
ever.
▼▲
I'm on ubuntu now

Everything seems to have gone well, I haven't booted to Windows yet, but it was in the boot list at restart after install so I'm assuming it's cool for now.

Just installing updates now, after that it's video configuration time, hope that works out ok, then we'll see about getting Opera 9.6 on the system.
The only reason why I changed from Ubuntu to Windows was that I was updating my MP3 player, accidentally unplugged it, and couldn't get it to work. I said "screw this" and went back to windows.

Ubuntu is a sweet OS. If they fixed the "accidentally unplugged disk drive doesn't work again" bug, I'll switch back. Can anyone tell me if they did?
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Last edited by SilverDark at Oct 10, 2008,
Unless you are planning on doing mass upgrades and such to your computer there really isn't too much of a reason to switch to Ubunto. Just thought I would throw that out there.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
OP, apparantly ubuntu 8.10 comes out in a week. Id wait to get taht before making the switch
Quote by Strati
Will installing Ubuntu get rid of whatever viruses I got?
Or can someone link me a good virusscan that acually detects viruses and allows me to temove them? AVG clearly does not work.
If you format your HD and do a clean Ubuntu install the virus will be gone.

Also Ubuntu is unaffected by Windows viruses.
Quote by Strati
What computerskills would one need to install and use Ubuntu easy with no problems?
The ability to use google.

The installation process itself is simple, it mostly does it itself with minimal user input and compared to a windows install, is really really really quick.

Might be a tad more complicated if you're planning a dual boot on a single hard drive with partitions for each OS, but there is a tutorial on the Ubuntu documentation site.

Once you've got it running you'll need to do a few additional things to get your hardware up and running, but all the answers can be found on the documentation site or in their forums.

I hope you enjoy typing, you'll be doing alot in the terminal.
What's so great about Ubuntu? I'm not trying to be an ass or a snob or anything, I'm seriously asking because I'm curious and I don't know anything about it. What's the big deal?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by BigFatSandwich
What's so great about Ubuntu? I'm not trying to be an ass or a snob or anything, I'm seriously asking because I'm curious and I don't know anything about it. What's the big deal?
It's free and open source, you can make any modifications you please, it is enormously customisable.

And pretty much all the software for it is free and legal.

Being impervious to viruses and being generally more secure is also a massive plus.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Once you get BERYL running you won't want a stationary background.

Damn straight.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
this is a Forbidden Thread.
read the sticky at the top of this forum to see where you should have posted this.

*reported*
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.