*EDIT* I'm now looking at basses in the $400-500 range.
Please disregard everything below, I just kept it so people weren't completely lost on what everyone was talking about

Main styles: Metal/Hard Rock and Blues.

Alright, well a few days ago I made a thread saying that I wanted to buy a cheap 5 string bass (~$200), and what I should be looking for.

Since then I've just been looking at all kinds of basses, 4 string, 5 string and 6 string.

What I've found so far:

OLP MM3 (5 String) - $165
1973 Ibanez J-Bass Copy (4 String) - $225
Washburn MB6 (6 String) - $225
Ibanez SR485 (5 String) - $225
Ibanez RD500 (5 String) - $240
SX BG-205 (5 String - Fretless) - $125
Dean Edge 5 (5 String - EMG HZs) - $140
Rogue LX405 (5 String - Active EQ) - $170

Now, I really would like the Ibanez 485, but the guy needs money now and I'm not quite ready to buy since I just bought a new guitar this week

Thoughts? Other suggestions/finds?

Thanks guys!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 13, 2008,
I dislike MM3's, but the others all seem very nice.

I hear 73 was a good year...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Hmmmm if you lived in europe i would tell you to get a jack and danny 5 string. Mine just arrived today. I took a chance on it because i wanted a 5 string and something to mod. It plays amazingly well for the price. 150 with postage form germany to ireland. But i'm going with the sr495. Jump on it. NOW!!!!!!!!
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
hey you added 2 more. I wouldn't start on a fretless, if I were you.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
hey you added 2 more. I wouldn't start on a fretless, if I were you.

I've played bass many times before. The bass I was using previously was an Ibanez SR500, which is why I really want the 485, since it's very similar - but he wants to sell it by this weekend and I'm really busy, plus I'm not quite ready to buy as I said. I've played some fretless basses before though (mainly the Carvin Bunny Brunel model), with the markers on the fretboard I'm fine playing one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've played bass many times before. The bass I was using previously was an Ibanez SR500, which is why I really want the 485, since it's very similar - but he wants to sell it by this weekend and I'm really busy, plus I'm not quite ready to buy as I said. I've played some fretless basses before though (mainly the Carvin Bunny Brunel model), with the markers on the fretboard I'm fine playing one.

then get it. also, sx is lesser than every Ibanez on that list, especially if you like the Ibanez feel better anyway.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

And you can also defret the ibanez when you get it. if you want.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Well, I've never played an SX before so I can't say if I prefer the Ibanez neck over it, the SX however, has recently been set up with new strings.

I like the feel of frets better, but since I'm not going to be using the bass in a band or anything I can live with the fretless.

I also forgot about the Dean Edge 5 with HZs, added that to the list as well.

Also, I know it's Rogue, which the ones I've played before aren't really too great, but any thoughts on the LX405? It's right at my budget brand new, and it has an active EQ.

Oh and i also found an LTD B-105 for $225.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 10, 2008,
I still stand by the fretted Ibanez, they will suit you well. and the only reason to get a fretless would be for the tone.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

go with the LTD, i got the B-55 and its amazing
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Ok, since I don't really need a bass right now, I've convinced myself to wait a little bit and buy something in the $4-500 range.

The bass at the top of my list right now is an ESP Horizon 5 String. What else should I be looking for?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
why not an sr500?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
why not an sr500?

Because I'd think when I could get an ESP Horizon for the same price, it's not really even much of a contest in which one I'd choose. If the SR500 were a Prestige series, it might be different, but comparing a "lower" end Ibanez to an ESP (not an LTD) is like comparing a regular Ibanez to a Prestige 3 times its price.

Correct me if my reasoning is wrong here?

Any thoughts on Traben basses?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well then, now that you've made an adjustment to your budget, I say take a look at a couple Schecters and report back to me in the morning.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Because I'd think when I could get an ESP Horizon for the same price, it's not really even much of a contest in which one I'd choose. If the SR500 were a Prestige series, it might be different, but comparing a "lower" end Ibanez to an ESP (not an LTD) is like comparing a regular Ibanez to a Prestige 3 times its price.

Correct me if my reasoning is wrong here?

Any thoughts on Traben basses?

ESP is not as good to begin with however, I'd get the Ibanez anyway. if it's better (which I doubt) it's not by much.

and Traben is very nice. heavy, and a little overly metal looking, but unlike BC Rich, it pulls it off. versatile, nice spacing on their Fivers, good feel.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
ESP is not as good to begin with however, I'd get the Ibanez anyway. if it's better (which I doubt) it's not by much.

and Traben is very nice. heavy, and a little overly metal looking, but unlike BC Rich, it pulls it off. versatile, nice spacing on their Fivers, good feel.

Why is this?

I actually like the looks of the Trabens, they've always interested me, but I've only played them a few times for only a couple minutes and that was on their higher end models. I can't stand BC Rich

As for Schecter, I've tried the Schecter Stiletto Elite 4 many times and enjoyed it. Unfortunately Guitar Center is about an hour away and I don't really have much time to be driving over there and trying any. Our local shop usually doesn't carry any 5 strings.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I find ESP to be focused on making a strong bass for metal, but nothing else. metal is a genre that can use pretty much any bass, therefore severely limiting it in more demanding styles, like country. also, they make very good body shapes, but don't feel great. they don't feel bad, but any Ibanez SR feels better than most ESP basses. to me anyways.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
I dislike MM3's, but the others all seem very nice.

I hear 73 was a good year...

nope that was the last year of original yankee stadium also the first year of the boss
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.