So i am about to audition for Sheperd University In WV. I need to have two conrasting pieces, preferably classical. I am not heavy into classical music at the moment, although through theory studies im learning more, but anyway could someone help me with some ideas as to what to play, Two Contrasing Pieces Different Time Periods. Right now the only pieces i have prepared are Dueling ninjas and Classical Gas. Ive got about 4 months until thhe Audition. Please Someone help me!
Jackson Pc-1
Line 6 Spider III HD 150

I am new to recording, any tips and suggestions are well appreciated check my profile for my original compositions.
Etude 1 - Villa Lobos
Allemande (BWV 996) - Bach
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
For Classical, Bela Bartok has good beginner pieces that are standards for audition.

The Contrast it with a contemporary jazz theme like "Girl from Epanema"
Quote by nightwind
Etude 1 - Villa Lobos
Allemande (BWV 996) - Bach

TAB vid

TAB vid

I'd say no way in hell for the first one. That's hella crazy.

Teh pwnage:

vid
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Unfortunately I can't help you out with any audition pieces but the school caught my eye. I graduated from Shepherd University about 2 years ago.

The music program is outstanding and is overall a great school.
I hope you do well. Good luck!
You usually choose one song based on technical ability and one based on musicianship. For the technical one, anything by Bach (while cliche) will probably work. As for musicality, Im not really sure. For bass auditions I always do something out the the Bordogni (sp) book for tuba.
Villa Lobos 1 actually isn't all that bad as far as advanced classical guitar goes. Some of them are WAY harder. I'd have to go back through my repertoire to remember which ones exactly, but I have a feeling that in your situation, you're not interested in anything harder anyways.

There is no such thing as beginner level pieces that are standard for a college level audition. They want advanced study stuff.

To put it in perspective, the pieces you choose should be about the same level of difficulty as Villa Lobos 1.

Honestly.... I'd say give it a year, and sign on with a very established teacher to get you there. You're not going to do it in four months. It's like asking a hobby jogger who does 20 minutes a day to compete in the Boston Marathon. You are, for the moment, clearly in over your head. With a good solid year and a bit of work... you're looking a lot more realistic.

CT

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
The Allemande by Bach is from the First Cello Suite, IIRC. It's a nice piece, and not so difficult to play. I'd say a moderately advanced piece. (certainly not beginner or intermediate, though) There is much harder stuff out there by Bach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPfZVflJdp0&feature=related

Now THAT is a monster Bach piece played by a true master. Holy crap...

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Last edited by axemanchris at Oct 15, 2008,
Villa Lobos Etude 3 is among the most brutal pieces ever, but it is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tQKjB_pw_c

It's about two grade levels harder than Etude 1.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Villa Lobos 1 actually isn't all that bad as far as advanced classical guitar goes. Some of them are WAY harder. I'd have to go back through my repertoire to remember which ones exactly, but I have a feeling that in your situation, you're not interested in anything harder anyways.

There is no such thing as beginner level pieces that are standard for a college level audition. They want advanced study stuff.

To put it in perspective, the pieces you choose should be about the same level of difficulty as Villa Lobos 1.

Honestly.... I'd say give it a year, and sign on with a very established teacher to get you there. You're not going to do it in four months. It's like asking a hobby jogger who does 20 minutes a day to compete in the Boston Marathon. You are, for the moment, clearly in over your head. With a good solid year and a bit of work... you're looking a lot more realistic.

CT

CT

Above is all good advice, especially if you are going for a classical music performance major.

Believe me, you can't "wing it" with classical technique.

[regarding the Bach Allemande, although technically about Grade 6 or 7 (traditional examination speaking) IMO all the solo suites (including those for lute, clavichord, violoncello and violin) require a mature level of musicianship. Casals waited 30 years before his recordings ]
I think waiting a year is pretty much the only way you can cut it. Neither of those pieces you said you wanted to play would be appropriate, and you really need a solid instructor to prepare you and advocate for you which helps a lot. Maybe you could apply to Shepard as say a liberal arts major and get your foot in the door of the music program while practicing hard and then try again next year, or maybe take classes at a community college and practice in your spare time.
12 fret fury