So I has teh Peavey Classic 30, and I wants the Metallica/Marty Friedman/Paul Gilbert tone. Right now I have a crappy cheap Ibanez, but I'm gonna be buying a PGM301 in about a month.

For those of you that don't know, the BYOC Overdrive pedal is a $90 kit that comes with everything you need to make your own TS808, and you can modify it as well. Here is a link.

Will that pedal give me the overall tone I desire? I use those 3 artists as sort of a range, but really I'm all about getting unique tone.

Thanks!
Little itty bitty bump yous guys.

Now most posters should be out of school. At least East coast.
LOL at your last post, Habit. (btw, i'm at university, so i get on randomly all morning/day)

if it's a TS clone, then i don't see why not? at least for the metallica bit. they used to use marshalls back in the day and if you've already got some crunch and then OD it then yea, you should get some good thrash sounds from it. i can't comment on the other two tones as i don't listen to them really...sorry.

but yea i imagine it should sound fine. won't sound like modern metal but classic metal/thrash should sound great!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
LOL at your last post, Habit. (btw, i'm at university, so i get on randomly all morning/day)

if it's a TS clone, then i don't see why not? at least for the metallica bit. they used to use marshalls back in the day and if you've already got some crunch and then OD it then yea, you should get some good thrash sounds from it. i can't comment on the other two tones as i don't listen to them really...sorry.

but yea i imagine it should sound fine. won't sound like modern metal but classic metal/thrash should sound great!

That's what I was hoping for

Shame on you for not knowing Marty and Paul though! Marty was lead guitarist in Megadeth during their I guess most successful period, and Paul is guitarist of Racer X and was the guitarist for Mr. Big.

Here's a video of them jamming together, so you can get an idea of their tone and awesomeness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoWIcKRSupA

And of course, thanks for the post slash!
well i knew about Paul Gilbert but not Friedman. and i just don't really listen to those bands...i usually only listen to one or two new bands at a time, and listen to them a bunch and for a while. that way i get a real feel for them and such. currently, C.O.B. is my 'new band' for listening to. and i still need to get a bunch more songs from them.

one day i'll make it through all the important ones haha.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
well i knew about Paul Gilbert but not Friedman. and i just don't really listen to those bands...i usually only listen to one or two new bands at a time, and listen to them a bunch and for a while. that way i get a real feel for them and such. currently, C.O.B. is my 'new band' for listening to. and i still need to get a bunch more songs from them.

one day i'll make it through all the important ones haha.

COB have some great riffs and stuff, but I personally can't get into their vocal style I said that about Megadeth, too, though, and now I love the song Tornado of Souls, so who knows.
it's one of those things you acquire a taste for. i like all ranges of music, but when it comes to the super heavy sounds, you usually have to deal with super heavy/growly vocals along side. i can't make out a lot of what Alexi's saying when he does his growly vocals, but it's not completely undefinable like some other bands.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
it's one of those things you acquire a taste for. i like all ranges of music, but when it comes to the super heavy sounds, you usually have to deal with super heavy/growly vocals along side. i can't make out a lot of what Alexi's saying when he does his growly vocals, but it's not completely undefinable like some other bands.

Yup, I have the same issue... Super heavy tone usually equals super heavy growling. Thats why I made the switch to independant music you can get a good mix of super heavy tone with vocals you can understand. Also for a bit more mainstream Gojira is a great band if you like super heavy tone with vocals you can understand.
when it comes to super heavy sound with matching vocals, i really like the slayer vocal style. maybe not the WAY it's always sung...i'm not a big fan of the way Slayer's frontman kinda spurts the lines out like in verses of reigning blood and some of Bloodline....but when it's prechorus and chorus, it's always great. he's got a real growl texture to his voice and you can pretty much understand everything he's saying...

if more death-style metal had those kinda vocals i'd check out a lot more, b/c i hate not knowing what's being said at all.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
when it comes to super heavy sound with matching vocals, i really like the slayer vocal style. maybe not the WAY it's always sung...i'm not a big fan of the way Slayer's frontman kinda spurts the lines out like in verses of reigning blood and some of Bloodline....but when it's prechorus and chorus, it's always great. he's got a real growl texture to his voice and you can pretty much understand everything he's saying...

if more death-style metal had those kinda vocals i'd check out a lot more, b/c i hate not knowing what's being said at all.

Whats funny is there is a few Japanese Metal bands im into now that use some english mixed with Japanese so half the time it sounds like there saying one thing and its something totally different. lol

And Habit Zero a byoc/od will not turn your amp into a metal beast. So your a bit out of luck on that one. Your gonna need a distortion pedal or new amp.
I made the one from general guitar gadgets. It has a three way switch to switch between different clipping modes. That one might be the same though. But i love this pedal. I can use it on the clean channel to get some blues or rock gain.

Or I can use it on the dirty channel to push it to extremes. Or even use it as a clean boost on the clean channel for some extra volume, or use it to push my preamp tubes harder.'

I love this pedal... If god used a pedal... it would be this one. LoL
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Any of you ever put together one of these BYOC kits? I'm just wondering how long it will take.

Other than that I'm set on the TS808/BYOC Overdrive.