I'd like to go to college in music but i dont know what technique i need to master to go in music college. Anyone got an idea?
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
Best thing to do would be to call/meet/write them.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
you need Grade 8 in an instrument and Grade 5 theory for most university Music degrees.

check their website/prospectuses
all techniques
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

For most music programs, you need to be well versed in either jazz or classical, depending on the direction of the music program.

Skills and knowledge expected for jazz programs:
Modes of the major scale
Diatonic 4-part chords
Chord inversions
Sightreading melody and harmony
Knowing the various rhythmic styles of jazz (latin, bossa nova, swing, bebop).
contrasting pieces from the standard jazz repertoire

Skills and knowledge of classical programs:
sightreading
contrasting pieces from the classical repertoire
major/minor scales

Check the website of each music department to find out specifically what they require.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Assuming you are a guitarist, would you rather study classical or jazz guitar? Besides schools like Berklee and MI, most colleges only have these two areas, and not just say, "rock guitar." Also, what country do you live in? Here in the US we don't have the grade system that dannyyy mentioned, so I'm not really sure how advanced Grade 8 is considered. But yeah, basically you have to decide classical or jazz first.
On the topic of construction delaying the Large Hadron Collider:

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Construction my ass. They just haven't found a good enough crowbar for Gordon Freeman when everything goes tits up.
Quote by Stingmaskii
Assuming you are a guitarist, would you rather study classical or jazz guitar? Besides schools like Berklee and MI, most colleges only have these two areas, and not just say, "rock guitar." Also, what country do you live in? Here in the US we don't have the grade system that dannyyy mentioned, so I'm not really sure how advanced Grade 8 is considered. But yeah, basically you have to decide classical or jazz first.

I don't know about MI, but Berklee is still very jazz oriented even if that's not your focused style. The course contents are all driven by harmonic explanations in the jazz idioms.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
don't go music college, its crap i know loads of people who went to one, they regret it, go to a normal college and do music as a 4th subject

You don't need any qualification to be a musician i.e million of bands out there
Quote by Xiaoxi
I don't know about MI, but Berklee is still very jazz oriented even if that's not your focused style. The course contents are all driven by harmonic explanations in the jazz idioms.

Right, but they still have courses and instruction in more mainstream types of music. I was more just making a point that at traditional music schools/conservatories, you will only have jazz or classical.
On the topic of construction delaying the Large Hadron Collider:

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Construction my ass. They just haven't found a good enough crowbar for Gordon Freeman when everything goes tits up.
Quote by metaldud536
Gotta know dem powerchords!!!!

rofl.

and grade 8 is the qualification you can start teaching music lessons at, so pretty hard to get.

some ask for grade 7 though.

i'm applying for music technology this year, going to uni next year.
Quote by Stingmaskii
Right, but they still have courses and instruction in more mainstream types of music. I was more just making a point that at traditional music schools/conservatories, you will only have jazz or classical.

True. Although I advise against learning the mainstream contemporary styles. They're useless. Learning jazz or classical is much more useful and applicable.

Quote by 2mins2midnite
don't go music college, its crap i know loads of people who went to one, they regret it, go to a normal college and do music as a 4th subject

You don't need any qualification to be a musician i.e million of bands out there

Not everyone wants to be musical idiots stuck with the same powerchords over and over again.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Not everyone wants to be musical idiots stuck with the same powerchords over and over again.

Shoot, I know I don't want to!

To TS: Most music colleges require an audition, to play a piece in front of them. They also will quiz you in some music theory and some ear-training. You could apply right now and spend the next 3 or 4 months practicing to get in. I know some theory and still expanding on it, I'm currently training MY ear, and got a piece to audition, but I should milk my jazz program for some jazz standards. I believe I should get into Berklee...
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by SilverDark
Shoot, I know I don't want to!

To TS: Most music colleges require an audition, to play a piece in front of them. They also will quiz you in some music theory and some ear-training. You could apply right now and spend the next 3 or 4 months practicing to get in. I know some theory and still expanding on it, I'm currently training MY ear, and got a piece to audition, but I should milk my jazz program for some jazz standards. I believe I should get into Berklee...

Berklee is not as hard to get into as some other music schools. But it is competitive. It's also requires a lot of self responsibility.

For Berklee, you can actually start from zero with no knowledge of theory or notation (although that's rarely the case). However, you will benefit greatly by being able to skip a few levels during the placement exam if you know your stuff already, which means you'll have more opportunities to focus on more important courses and maybe even graduate earlier.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
For the good places, something along the lines of grade 8 in your first instrument and 5 in theory. Maybe 8 in first, 5 in a second instrument, and 5 in theory.

And I agree with Xiaoxi (something that is becoming increasingly common)- do a proper course, and then you can focus on popular music once you've got the musicianship down.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I go to music college (South Birmingham) and all you need to really do is pass an initial audition. It's pretty easy to get in.

They have this thing called Rock School where you get a tutor that teaches you how to play and improve your technique etc. I'm not sure how it works in America though.
Sight reading is usually pretty important.

but there are a lot of things to consider.
like, what style you want to play,
what you want to do with your life,
are you committed enough,

its a big thing to decide to do.

but if you want to do it,
and you get chills and a fluttery feeling in your stomach when you think about it,
then follow your dreams, and apply for a music college.

I strongly suggest Berklee for anyone on this site,
but if you think you are talent enough.
try for Juilliard.
try for lawrence.
try for the Royal Academy of Music.

I'm sure there was a really good article on this site about music colleges.

EDIT:
found that article;
Guide To Music College

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

Last edited by Mr. Rittard at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by Mr. Rittard

I strongly suggest Berklee for anyone on this site

I don't...

I know everyone here and their brother wants to go to Berklee to be the next Dream Theater or whatever, but it's not that simple

Berklee is not an ideal school for just anyone. There's a couple of reasons that people should really consider:

1. Money: Berklee is very expensive. While it's true that its price is fairly average compared to other conservatories, it is still an unavoidable mountain of debt. I calculate that even with conservations, I will have spent $140,000-160,000 over four years here. Given the recent economic boom ( ), I urge people to think twice...

2. Opportunities: Again, you have to consider the job availability of being a musician, especially at times like these. Berklee may be a household name in the music industry, but it is by no means a tangible advantage when you're looking for gigs or work.

3. Discipline: The teaching style here is that they give you information, but they don't press it onto you, which means you have to bring it on yourself to do the work. If you don't, you easily fall behind dramatically, not to mention all of the concepts taught to you will go in one ear and out the next. I should remind people that the failure rate for Berklee is notorious.

4. Passion: If you have any viable interest other than music, you should definitely pursue that interest first. Music should be a last resort. I truly cannot tolerate anything else. I truly obsess and lose sleep over working with music. I can't really bring myself at all to focus on anything else and that's why I'm studying music in college, risking my whole life's well-being and dignity (my family press on me for success) for this extremely fickle field of work. If you can do anything less stressful at all, please do it. Don't make the illogical decision to study music just because you think it's fun and enjoyable.

Quote by rabidguitarist

And I agree with Xiaoxi (something that is becoming increasingly common)

Apparently...although I think you put a little too strong of an emphasis on classical over other styles of music. Other than that, it's gravy yo.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Oct 11, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi
I don't...

I know everyone here and their brother wants to go to Berklee to be the next Dream Theater or whatever, but it's not that simple

Berklee is not an ideal school for just anyone. There's a couple of reasons that people should really consider:

1. Money: Berklee is very expensive. While it's true that its price is fairly average compared to other conservatories, it is still an unavoidable mountain of debt. I calculate that even with conservations, I will have spent $140,000-160,000 over four years here. Given the recent economic boom ( ), I urge people to think twice...

2. Opportunities: Again, you have to consider the job availability of being a musician, especially at times like these. Berklee may be a household name in the music industry, but it is by no means a tangible advantage when you're looking for gigs or work.

3. Discipline: The teaching style here is that they give you information, but they don't press it onto you, which means you have to bring it on yourself to do the work. If you don't, you easily fall behind dramatically, not to mention all of the concepts taught to you will go in one ear and out the next. I should remind people that the failure rate for Berklee is notorious.

4. Passion: If you have any viable interest other than music, you should definitely pursue that interest first. Music should be a last resort. I truly cannot tolerate anything else. I truly obsess and lose sleep over working with music. I can't really bring myself at all to focus on anything else and that's why I'm studying music in college, risking my whole life's well-being and dignity (my family press on me for success) for this extremely fickle field of work. If you can do anything less stressful at all, please do it. Don't make the illogical decision to study music just because you think it's fun and enjoyable.

Marry me?

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

Quote by Mr. Rittard
Marry me?

Psh. Ring's on the finger already.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana