Yes, please crit.
This piece comes in two tasty flavors, Powertab and Tuxguitar.
You can download either for free. Here's a link for Tux:

http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/download.html

I was thinking about saving the link for tux in my sig, but that might be viewed as advertising, so I decided against it. If anyone can confirm this either way, I would be thankful.
The reason for that is that I use Tux almost exclusively and it would be helpful if people could just download it from the start.

Nao with GP 4 and 5.
Attachments:
Octotonic.zip
Last edited by huevos at Oct 26, 2008,
It sounds a bit like The Number Twelve Looks Like You, imo.
I found it... interesting. Quite cool actually.
Can you actually play it?
Quote by lostindasky
It sounds a bit like The Number Twelve Looks Like You, imo.
I found it... interesting. Quite cool actually.
Can you actually play it?

**** no.
Not all the way through at least.
That, and I would need three guitars to do this perfectly.
I would love to record this though.

Thanks for TNTLLY compliment. They are easily my favorite band.
I wasn't going for that kinda vibe, but I see what your talking about.

I think I should write more mathcore goodies nao.
This is one my top compositions that I've made (imo).
It's also one of the 1st ones too.
Quote by bloodshed344
I didn't like this, it's totally random and chromatic. Sorry but you need to work on your composition skills some, you got potential though.

This one of my more chaotic and loosely structure compositions. I've plenty of more traditional pieces, somewhere in the realm of melo-death, drone/sludge, post-hardcore, and thrash.
I don't like writing "obvious" song parts (i.e. verse, chorus, bridge, etc.), but they are there.
I will, on occasion, make spot-on cohesive songs, but that is usually when I'm not making up a metal song.
I was basing it off the Octotonic scale. There's a four note chromatism (sp? is that even a word?) in the 2 (maybe 3) variations of the scale.
Also, as the name (of the scale and the song) suggests, there are 8 notes in the scale.
That's what gives it the off-kilter sound.

That comment makes me gush in contentment. Using an unusual timbre is another thing that I strive for in my songs, even though I use a very basic instrumental set-up.
I love the part at 21! Overall I think the best part in the whole piece is the timing. You really have some interesting usages of the timing on the different guitars. Gives it a very chaotic but cool sound. I liked the harmonic bridge a lot.
The part at 63 sounds sickening. By which I mean, I like it.
The chaotic feel is cool. I like how it feels very mathy without ever getting out of 4/4.
Hmmm how to do this without starting a fight? This is a complete mess. You have crossed the line between music and random bullshit. It lacks anything memorable, cool, or even interesting. Any idiot can pull up a scale on guitar pro, pick random notes from that scale and sling them together into jumbled metal riffs. Making music like this is stupid( i.e ignoring all the conventions of music for that sake of being different) and will not receive more than 1 listen from 99% of the music listening population. I listen to bands thats make the kind of music you are trying to make like Necrophagist, Meshuggah and Protest The Hero, but they have many things you song doesn't. Flow, memorable moments, distinguishable complexity, transitions, build-ups, ease-off, and dynamics. Your song conveys no mood or atmosphere. There are no themes, melodies, or even good rhythms. And for gods sake this could actually be a lot better if you got rid of the atrocious Dim Rhythm track.

/opinion
Quote by The Grem
Hmmm how to do this without starting a fight? This is a complete mess. You have crossed the line between music and random bullshit. It lacks anything memorable, cool, or even interesting. Any idiot can pull up a scale on guitar pro, pick random notes from that scale and sling them together into jumbled metal riffs. Making music like this is stupid( i.e ignoring all the conventions of music for that sake of being different) and will not receive more than 1 listen from 99% of the music listening population. I listen to bands thats make the kind of music you are trying to make like Necrophagist, Meshuggah and Protest The Hero, but they have many things you song doesn't. Flow, memorable moments, distinguishable complexity, transitions, build-ups, ease-off, and dynamics. Your song conveys no mood or atmosphere. There are no themes, melodies, or even good rhythms. And for gods sake this could actually be a lot better if you got rid of the atrocious Dim Rhythm track.

/opinion

Dim rhythm stays!
And this was mostly Dillinger/Sikth inspired. Those bands (Necro, Meshuggah, PTH) are great, but I wasn't all too influenced by them for this piece. So I wouldn't look at it from that angle.

I appreciate the analysis, but this:
( i.e ignoring all the conventions of music for that sake of being different) and will not receive more than 1 listen from 99% of the music listening population.
is just going against everything that I write for.
I write for my own self-indulgence. I wasn't ignoring too many conventions (I just wanted an unusual timbre) and I wasn't doing it to be non-conformist for the sake of it.
As you can tell, I don't see music as a popularity contest. Your post was a sensible criticism, but that little part really irks me. Seriously. It's bothering me too much to the point take anything useful into account.
That mindset just throws everything off.

Thank you though.
You do cement the point even further though. This piece not very accessible.
Flow, memorable moments, distinguishable complexity, transitions, build-ups, ease-off, and dynamics. Your song conveys no mood or atmosphere. There are no themes, melodies, or even good rhythms.

That part puts a smile on my face. I've accessed the ugliness of chaos.
My upcoming piece (At_The_Sikth_Drive) is kinda the catchy antithesis to this one.
It should be up nao!
that was intense dude, kinda Cynic meets spawn of possesion

quite good, will go in depth later

4/5
"We carry death out of the village!"
hmm yess as you said, i dont like it, it isnt my style but i know horse the band - its nintendocore i though but its reminds me of that. nice compilation by the way ^^
Quote by bloodshed344
The problem with this was mainly it seemed like you were trying to be melodic sometimes and were just using the wrong notes.

u just totally missed the point of what he was going for, its MENT to be chaotic and mental. the chromaticness just adds to that. surely you of all people should know, you songs are the same, mental and bizzare (which i am a fan of ur stuff btw)
Quote by BKGMorley
u just totally missed the point of what he was going for, its MENT to be chaotic and mental. the chromaticness just adds to that. surely you of all people should know, you songs are the same, mental and bizzare (which i am a fan of ur stuff btw)

Indeed.
Chaos is the theme, but I also wanted something nonsensical and difficult to play. This isn't extremely technical, just really long-winded. My reasoning is, if I can play this song in it's entirity, I'll be able to play quite a bit of other stuff.
Quote by BKGMorley

Didn't realize that when I first heard it, it just sounded like he was new to song writing, but I get it now.
Quote by bloodshed344
Didn't realize that when I first heard it, it just sounded like he was new to song writing, but I get it now.

The funny thing is that this is one of the first songs that I wrote, back in Feburary.

I will tweak it and add drums and all. Maybe more instruments.
But that will have to be later, as midterms and work are time-consuming.

Oh yeah, I got Metalpasta up. It's kinda more in the vain of tech metalcore versus dissonant, chaotic mathcore.
That little song is lonely, please crit it.
Last edited by huevos at Oct 30, 2008,