Ok so my band has our first gig coming up. The performance stage and crowd area is pretty small, comparable to about half the size of a hs gym. Anyways, right now we have only practiced in a basement that echoes so the drums have far outpowered everything else even with the amp settings for the guitars all the way up (we do have nicer amps lined up to perform with). So before we even take the equipment to the stage I was wondering if anyone with experience had any good tips to balance the guitars (lead and rythem), drums, and vocals.

Thanks!
What wattage amps do you have and what's the PA system you've got?
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
My experience is to work with the sound tech and have the soundboard balance everything out evenly.

The vox has to cut through the mix and the guitars should not overpower the rhythm section.
vocals, drums and bass should not be overpowered by guitars as guitars are just used to "colour" the mix if anything
hmmm.... i have no idea what to put here...
Thank you for your answers. I'm not sure what wattage amp the one we have lined up is I'll have to look into it. No PA system though this is intermission of a school play in a crappy school theater haha, so there sadly will not be a talented sound tech either. So am I screwed? lol
Quote by adam1351
Thank you for your answers. I'm not sure what wattage amp the one we have lined up is I'll have to look into it. No PA system though this is intermission of a school play in a crappy school theater haha, so there sadly will not be a talented sound tech either. So am I screwed? lol

ah.. so this is gonna be tougher than I thought. lawlz

Man, so if you guys are playing rock or metal, it will be most likely loud.

Talk to the coordinator of the play and ask if you can set up sometime before the show to set levels.

Bring a friend that can stand at the back of the hall to wave at which instrument should be louder or softer.
hey, thanks for your help. We will definitely get together on stage a couple days ahead of time and bring someone and just mess around with different volumes for awhile.
No PA? What are you going to run the vocals through?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.