I'm not talking about low action, because I'd know how to fix that more or less. But the buzz I'm talking about comes from my tone pot (my bass has two volume knobs a p90 in the neck and a single near the bridge) whenever its used.

What I mean by used is that if the tone is all the way on the "bass" side there is no buzz, but the second you even turn a touch past that point, this obnoxious buzz comes out. The weird thing is that it goes away a little bit if you were to place a finger or a hand on the strings.

Any ideas? My thoughts are the ground not being used correctly, and if so how can I fix this?

Pic ( I know its a tad dusty, but its black so even a little bit shows up really bad)

Its a hartke bass I received for free from a friend, and I use it to record low notes. Lol I don't play bass but its good to know a little bit of everything.
Hmmm I'm thinking a soldering problem. But I'm not too good with electronics :/
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Just have a look inside for anything blatantly unconnected. But if its not obvious take a picture and show us folks on here. Someone should be able to help.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Yup, that's definately a soldering problem.

Check that it's connected. If it is, check that all the solder joins on that pot are shiny, not a dull metal shine.

That's a cold solder join - you'd need to just heat it up and let it cool down slowly to fix it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Same thing happens on my ibanez. Its some soldering or grounding problem. Cause here is the deal. It buzzes like a mofo if there is no hand contact, but the buzz goes away with contact. At least in my case, its not related to the tone knob. How bad is the buzz? If this is just a practice bass, and you aren't sure what you are doing, I dunno if it would be worth PAYING someone to fix it.